Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

phlsphr

Feb 20, 2006, 3:49 AM
Post #1 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Climbing late in pregnancy--safe?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A couple of nights ago at my local gym I saw a sight I thought I'd never see. A couple was climbing together. Both were strong climbers. What was amazing is that she was at least 7 months pregnant. She was toproping hard 10's, and belaying her partner on some harder stuff. I noticed while she belayed it seemed she had her belay device pulled to the side. Her waistbelt went below her very protruding belly. Still, it seemed that a fall while climbing or even belaying would yank her harness up in a potentially hazardous way. I know the fetus is amazingly protected by the amniotic fluid, but was this ok, medically? I'm surprised the gym let her climb, liability wise.

sbaclimber

Feb 20, 2006, 4:15 AM
Post #2 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing late in pregnancy--safe? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Return2Sender also has a clip of a very pregnant lady toproping routes that I would normally struggle to get up (5.10ish)! I will have to look at the DVD at home to find out her name.

Partner hosh

Feb 20, 2006, 5:07 AM
Post #3 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife's 6 months right now and she's not going to be climbing until at least after the kid's outta there. Just don't think it's a good idea.

hosh.

nola_angie

Feb 20, 2006, 5:08 AM
Post #4 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dunno. If she's pulling 5.10s while preggers, chances are she's a serious enough climber to have given it some thought and talked to her OB/GYN about it. THere have been articles in 'She Sends' about this that support climbing during pregnancy. There are a million threads in the ladies room about this. Really, tho, I think as long as it's an informed decision, it's up to the climber.

sh00tingst4r

Feb 20, 2006, 6:38 AM
Post #5 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

seems selfish to endanger the well being of your unborn child to climb.

jwood

Feb 20, 2006, 9:49 AM
Post #6 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At least she wasn't driving. I see pregnant chicks do that shit all the time. Endangering the unborn ones is so selfish.

omegaprime

Feb 20, 2006, 11:03 AM
Post #7 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
At least she wasn't driving. I see pregnant chicks do that s--- all the time. Endangering the unborn ones is so selfish.

Please forgive my ignorance, but could someone please elaborate how this is a danger to the person or the unborn baby? Only problem I can see is if there was an accident, but then again in the event of an accident, no one is really spared. So how do you propose "pregnant chicks" get around town? Walk and take public transport?

Just hiked with 5 month pregnant lady a few weeks back, we were using snowshoes to hike up a mountain. To most people I know, that is a big no-no, but then again for others, it seems quite natural.

Having said that, if I have a pregnant wife, I'd be very protective so late in the pregnancy. But that's just me.

alleyehave

Feb 20, 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #8 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Belly jam, now theres an idea.

goob3r

Feb 20, 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #9 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm personally tired with the stupid froo froo, biscuits and tea approach to life a lot of people take when it comes to "safety" and life in general. I won't elaborate on that too much, but basically.. yeah.. lets face it, contemporary society's grown soft .. everyone's a princess or prince, everyone's got "conditions" and what's worse is that everyone wants to have a say in why you should or should not do dis or dat. Anyway I'm done bitchin.

If a pregger wants to hike or climb, then by all means let her do it, just don't be stupid! If they get stupid and something happens, well that's just another point for Darwin now isn't it?.. but if everything works out, the endorphines released by the mum might just condition the child to be more active.. seeking physical stimulus.. and.. wait, what is this? possibly reduce the risk of obeisity?? oh my.. who would have thought..

http://www.moviestarsmovies.com/Images/ChuckNorris.jpg
You think his mom spent 9 months laying back, taking it easy? I rest my case...

I love the climbing community... flame away! :!:

jwood

Feb 20, 2006, 11:22 AM
Post #10 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry I didn't make my sarcasm more clear. I think it's rediculous to expect women to shelter themselves during pregnancy. I doubt that top-roping is much, if at all more dangerous than driving. Why is this viewed as irresponsible or selfish?

omegaprime

Feb 20, 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #11 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm sorry I didn't make my sarcasm more clear. I think it's rediculous to expect women to shelter themselves during pregnancy. I doubt that top-roping is much, if at all more dangerous than driving. Why is this viewed as irresponsible or selfish?

Yes... must practice more, young grasshopper. Your sarcasm lacks the power it needs. :wink:

I'd agree, its all about how much risk is acceptable. Do what you think is appropriate, taking into account all the factors involved.

Actually, where I come from some women are still restricted from doing quite a lot of things when they're pregnant, even driving. Its one old traditions still practiced. I still don't get that one. :roll:

alleyehave

Feb 20, 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #12 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm personally tired with the stupid froo froo, biscuits and tea approach to life a lot of people take when it comes to "safety" and life in general. I won't elaborate on that too much, but basically.. yeah.. lets face it, contemporary society's grown soft .. everyone's a princess or prince, everyone's got "conditions" and what's worse is that everyone wants to have a say in why you should or should not do dis or dat. Anyway I'm done b----.

If a pregger wants to hike or climb, then by all means let her do it, just don't be stupid! If they get stupid and something happens, well that's just another point for Darwin now isn't it?.. but if everything works out, the endorphines released by the mum might just condition the child to be more active.. seeking physical stimulus.. and.. wait, what is this? possibly reduce the risk of obeisity?? oh my.. who would have thought..

http://www.moviestarsmovies.com/Images/ChuckNorris.jpg
You think his mom spent 9 months laying back, taking it easy? I rest my case...

I love the climbing community... flame away! :!:

Key phrase "just don't be stupid! If they get stupid"...

What your perception of stupid may not be that of anothers... And this whole increase in endorphines in the mother carrying an unborn child being related to obesity is the most far-fetched idea ive heard since the Jehova Witnesses saying the end of the world was to occur in the 70s..then the 80s, then the 9...then dis or dat...

goob3r

Feb 20, 2006, 11:46 AM
Post #13 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But who are you to judge...

alleyehave

Feb 20, 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #14 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The bullsh*t doesn't drop far from the steer's arse.

Partner epoch

Feb 20, 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #15 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Our OB told us that it is ok to continue with our regular exercise regime, however when I had brought up climbing she kind of winced. The OB is a climber and really wasn't for climbing while pregnant due to the forces put on the body while wearing a harness. The risk for falling out increases in the later months as the belly shows more and a harness is worn lower.
Furthermore, lead climbing is a big no no... if I can generate 8.5 kn on a 10 foot fall and most of the time it really isn't all that soft of a catch, then think of the forces generated on a fetus suspended in embriotic fluid? It would be similar to slamming on the brakes with a full car and no one wearing seatbelts. (If you cannot relate, get your dog, put him/her in the front seat of your car and accelerate.. Slam on the brakes and see what happens.) <<---Most people won't do that becaust they believe that it is cruel. Now think baby...
I would say that it is reasonably safe durring the first trimester because the fetus hasn't exited the hips. After that, I would highly reccomend not to climb. I don't take clients out if they are pregnant, irregardless of how far along they are. There is too much at risk. Take the time off and focus on the new member of your family and his/her safety. God knows how overprotective you will be anyways...

goob3r

Feb 20, 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #16 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The bullsh*t doesn't drop far from the steer's arse.

:boring:

rockguide

Feb 20, 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #17 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing in a harness later in pregnancy can put the baby at risk - apparently full body harnesses are better for distributing the load more safely.

But in the end ... Mom makes the decision in conjunction with her medical professional(s).

I am uncomfortable with watching a pregnant woman drinking (seen it) or smoking (seen it, a lot) but I do not go correcting people on what to do with their bodies unless they ask (and they don't) or there is a friendship/professional responsibility.

acacongua

Feb 20, 2006, 3:51 PM
Post #18 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've talked to women about this who have healthy babies and climbed through their entire pregnancy. They all climbed as their body permitted and one said that her doc OKed a regular harness. They stuck to TRing, of course.

nevenneve

Feb 21, 2006, 7:53 PM
Post #19 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being an uneducated single male with little responsibilities in life, I can assuredly tell you that the human race has not gotten this far by coddling anything but the troubled pregnancies. Give a little thought to that anasazi logo on your shoes. Much less our closer relationship to settlers two hundred years ago. Once again an uniformed opinion, but I would take a much stronger stance on ultrasound's and the proliferation of baby Mozart and its like.

veganboyjosh

Feb 21, 2006, 8:32 PM
Post #20 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't see the problem with climbing while pregnant.

falling while pregnant may present some issues.

aimeerose

Feb 21, 2006, 8:50 PM
Post #21 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heather Sagar bouldered up to 10 days before she delivered. So, I think climbing late in pregnancy is safe as long as you are smart about it. She only bouldered inside and didn't risk falling. I plan to climb as long as I possibly can when I am pregnant. No leading, of course, and if I feel like I need to get a full body harness I will. I will definately be one of those women you see out there 6-7 months pregnant top-roping 10s. I'll make sure to take lots of pics to post for everyone ;)

klippa_klattra

Feb 22, 2006, 5:47 AM
Post #22 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This exact same issue comes up in the running circle all the time. The debate of if women should or should not run throughout pregnancy. Research shows that running through the pregnancy but "taking it a little easier than normal" especially during later months, is very good for the baby. Women tend to deliver healthier stronger babies when they maintain their fitness throughout the entire pregnancy.

that said. I think someday when I start having children, I will probably keep climbing, but I will only climb what I am super comfortable on as to avoid falls. its really not the climbing that is dangerous to the baby as much as the falling and having that harness ... ouch....aaahhh.... poor baby...

I would imagine that climbing after a certain point might become a bit harder to do especially as that belly protrudes further and further out... I suppose its all up to the person climbing, but women take it a bit far sometimes and while the climbing its self is ok what happens if you do fall? it just cant be good for the baby. I would also hope that any woman climbing at any point in pregnancy has talked with her husband/father of the child about it also.

Even if I do take the last few months off from climbing, I'll run till I deliver!

bloodyhands

Feb 22, 2006, 6:35 AM
Post #23 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mom lead a 5.12 trad climb when she was 9 months pregnant with me. Half way up, at a manky rest stance, she gave birth to me, hitched a sling around my torso, and used me as off-width pro.

Sufficeless to say, I turned of fine.

veganboyjosh

Feb 22, 2006, 8:55 AM
Post #24 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sufficeless to say, I turned of fine.

obviously.

aimeerose

Feb 22, 2006, 7:33 PM
Post #25 of 34 (4640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

klippa_klattra- What happens if you fall running? That can't be good for the baby either. Personally, I'd be more likely to fall running than climbing. If I'm in a full body harness on top-rope, I can't see how a fall could hurt the baby.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook