Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

adnix

Feb 20, 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #76 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Re: Eight Year Old Conquers World's High Peaks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have found that Island peak is commonly referred to as a 'trekking' peak, and a 'warm up' peak.
It's rather easy peak. I wouldn't take an 8 year old on any of the big alpine north faces but Island peak would be ok. Once he's 15 he can do the north faces, too.

sekcot

Feb 20, 2006, 3:23 PM
Post #77 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know quite a few 8 years olds that when told what is right and what is wrong, they understand ... what is safe and what is dangerous. I'm sure these parents as well as the 8 year old understand the risks involved. I believe that most of the people complaining on here may have a part of them that is jealous, and they just do not want to say it. I'm jealous ... I wish my parents got me doing this when I was 8.

triznut

Feb 20, 2006, 5:21 PM
Post #78 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reality....What is that??? hehehe

Well sure I'm not comparing apples to apples, and yes your right, a lot more people drive cars then climb mountains, but that doesn't make the risks go away. The dangers are all still there. Either way I don't care....Hear me!? I don't care... So quit worrying about other peoples kids and fukin worry about your own and if you don't have any then shut the fukup completely. I don't need any selfrigious a$$holes fuking up what I can and can't do with my kids.... There's some fukin reality for you....

; ) hehehe

In reply to:
Triznut said

In reply to:
Hey did you know that you have a better chance of dying on the road in a car than you do on a mountain. Let's be honest here, taking a kid for a car ride is much more risky than a mountaineering adventure.

Are you serious? Do you actually believe that climbing a 20,000 ft peak is safer that driving a car? A lot more people die in cars then on mountains, because allot more people drive cars than climb mountains. I would like anyone who has the time to supply us with the numbers that say climbing is safer than driving, this is a ridiculous claim that I highly doubt anyone could back up. I don’t know who has a better grasp on reality, Triznut or the 8 year old.

Climbing on any level means being dependent on your self and your partners. If it did hit the fan, what could a little kid do to save his partners or himself? Im guessing very little.

jred said

In reply to:
Yes, it is true that kids do not understand a bunch of what life offers, and yes it is true that there are some lessons in life which we just have to learn for ourselves, but....... We are talking about 20,000 foot plus mountaineering here, would you say that it is OK for a six year old to go base jumping, a ten year old to drive a formula one race car, a seven year old to be left alone with a high powered handgun, maybe a three year old night swimming alone? Where do you draw the line? I have never said that children should not participate in risky activities, I just thought that high altitude mountaineering was not the best idea for an eight year old. Please don't even try to compare cragging with kids to high altitude mountaineering above 20,000 ft. there is no comparison.
Well put

jred

Feb 20, 2006, 7:03 PM
Post #79 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

triznut, You are clearly an idiot who is incapable of forming any sort of coherent argument to back your......point?
Can you not figure out that driving in a car is far safer STATISTICALLY? Do you know what that means? Have you even bothered reading the arguments against this activity for an eight year old? Can you make arguments in favor of this activity?
When has anyone said anything about trying to tell parents how to raise their kids? This is called a discussion you fucking moron, what is so hard to understand about that?
You should learn to spell correctly or at the very least use spell check, you last post made you look really stupid.

triznut

Feb 20, 2006, 8:17 PM
Post #80 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not trying to make a valid argument dipshit... I really could careless about this 8yro (except for the fact that it's an amazing feat) and the reasons why you give a krap about him doing this mtn (jealousy :oops: ). But I guess your not intelligent enough to pickup on that, huh moron?? Let's find out how intelligent you really are...Now, I understand that you're a fucking, gayass bitch, hoe!

We'll let you boil on that one for a while...

Sorry if I have offended anyone else here :oops: . Time to grow up now :D

In reply to:
triznut, You are clearly an idiot who is incapable of forming any sort of coherent argument to back your......point?
Can you not figure out that driving in a car is far safer STATISTICALLY? Do you know what that means? Have you even bothered reading the arguments against this activity for an eight year old? Can you make arguments in favor of this activity?
When has anyone said anything about trying to tell parents how to raise their kids? This is called a discussion you f---ing moron, what is so hard to understand about that?
You should learn to spell correctly or at the very least use spell check, you last post made you look really stupid.

jred

Feb 20, 2006, 8:47 PM
Post #81 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not trying to make a valid argument s---... I really could careless about this 8yro (except for the fact that it's an amazing feat) and the reasons why you give a krap about him doing this mtn (jealousy :oops: ). But I guess your not intelligent enough to pickup on that, huh moron?? Let's find out how intelligent you really are...Now, I understand that you're a f---ing, gayass b----, hoe!

We'll let you boil on that one for a while...

Sorry if I have offended anyone else here :oops: . Time to grow up now :D

In reply to:
When has anyone said anything about trying to tell parents how to raise their kids? This is called a discussion you f---ing moron, what is so hard to understand about that?
Yeah, that's it I am jealous of an eight year old, you figured me out. I merely questioned the logic of bringing a eight year old kid up to 20,000 ft and invited debate.
triznut (on his chin) When you fall into calling people gay ass, and butt hole you really make clear both your maturity and intelligence. Your just jealous because your a fag is really an argument best saved for boys between the ages of 7-13 yrs. How old are you?

triznut

Feb 20, 2006, 9:12 PM
Post #82 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahahah.....just what I though.
Line-bait-hooked, you're about as intelligent as a fish Jred. Don't you have better things to-do than argue with me??
Wow, nobody called anybody a fag here... Gay can also mean "happy" you "happyass"! Plus I was just proving something....which you still haven't picked up on... Oh well. I know when enough is enough. Nice having this discusion with you Jred. Hope you got what you wanted out of it? Maybe next time it'll be a little more productive...

jred

Feb 20, 2006, 9:35 PM
Post #83 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hahahah.....just what I though.
Line-bait-hooked, you're about as intelligent as a fish Jred. Don't you have better things to-do than argue with me??
Wow, nobody called anybody a fag here... Gay can also mean "happy" you "happyass"! Plus I was just proving something....which you still haven't picked up on... Oh well. I know when enough is enough. Nice having this discusion with you Jred. Hope you got what you wanted out of it? Maybe next time it'll be a little more productive...
So please tell me how you trying to antagonize me with grade school insults proves a lack of intelligence in myself? I did not take your bait, I tried to bring this back to an adult level conversation several times. What did you do? Just take a good look at your wording in any post to see how clever you sound. What is your point? I have one, I am defending my position on this matter of eight year olds mountaineering above 20,000 ft., if you are too stupid to understand the dynamics of a debate,.........
Dude, seeing as you appear to be an adult male, I have no choice but to draw the conclusion that, A)you are just being annoying for no reason, B)you are really not too bright.
I would be open to hear your arguments about this subject, but I seriously doubt your capacity to produce any other than name calling.
Your responses make it readily apparent that you are upset at being unable to voice your opinion through the ever confusing written word.

krusher4

Feb 20, 2006, 9:48 PM
Post #84 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did this kid carry his own gear? Stock the camps...feed himself....even set up his own tents?

jred

Feb 20, 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #85 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it was a one day push from basecamp, though I could be wrong it has been a while since I have read the article. I am sure he had a pack to carry and some duties to keep him busy. He is a strong little guy no doubt about that.

roy_hinkley_jr

Feb 20, 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #86 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Amazing you all are still ranting on this non-story. The altitude is a non-issue since the base is at 17k, the gear is a non-issue since a guide and Sherpas are required, the safety is a non-issue since Island Peak is non-technical walk up.

Cool that the little bugger did it but it just ain't a big deal. Keepin' the kid healthy while in Kathmandu and on the trek was certainly more risky than the "climb."

Partner cracklover

Feb 20, 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #87 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As for the question at hand: I'm no expert in kids, or in high altitude mountaineering, so I've no opinion on that subject.

But I do have something to say.

All y'all putting a blanket party on Jred should be ashamed of yourselves. She asked a fucking question you didn't like. Big deal. Get a grip.

JRed: Fuck these guys. If your question was about anyone else on any other topic that would be one thing, but if the news story involve parents, suddenly these ass-hats feel personally insulted by you. Suddenly you're the holy inquisition, breathing down their neck and telling them what they can and cannot do with their own children. I've seen it plenty of times before, and it's sick. Makes me wonder if some of these folks would rather not examine too closely what they're doing with their own kids. Don't know, but it just makes me wonder.

Y'all can call me any name in the book, go right ahead. I think you've got blinders on, and you see red any time anyone questions anything any parent does. How about this: how about if you calm the fuck down and behave like the adults you claim to be.

People fuck up their kids all the time, despite thinking what they're doing is right. Not saying I could do any better, but why is it so taboo to just ask the goddamn question? Seems to me that parents that fly off the handle at a question like JRed's have issues that aren't going to get resolved by putting a beat-down on an anonymous internet poster.

Oh, and I did plenty of stuff when I was a kid. Doesn't mean I have any problem with someone questioning where to draw the line.

GO

Partner cracklover

Feb 20, 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #88 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Reality....What is that??? hehehe

Well sure I'm not comparing apples to apples, and yes your right, a lot more people drive cars then climb mountains, but that doesn't make the risks go away. The dangers are all still there. Either way I don't care....Hear me!? I don't care... So quit worrying about other peoples kids and fukin worry about your own and if you don't have any then shut the fukup completely. I don't need any selfrigious a$$holes fuking up what I can and can't do with my kids.... There's some fukin reality for you....

; ) hehehe

Now that's a scary thought.

GO

fishbelly

Feb 20, 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #89 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Darwinian aspects of this dicussion are overwhelming>

randomtask

Feb 20, 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #90 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why is everyone getting worked up over this? I mean really, can someone explain what the danger is in climbing a 20000 ft peak? Just curious.
-JR

triznut

Feb 21, 2006, 12:03 AM
Post #91 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cracklover, good points. I am lame... My first comments to this post (month or so ago) were bad points and misunderstood... Then when I came back to it today, I decided to play a silly little game. My bad!
Jred, you have every right to question these parents... Just try not to waste to much time worrying about it... Thats my 2cents, you can throw all the other change back.

In reply to:
As for the question at hand: I'm no expert in kids, or in high altitude mountaineering, so I've no opinion on that subject.

All y'all putting a blanket party on Jred should be ashamed of yourselves. She asked a f---ing question you didn't like. Big deal. Get a grip.

JRed: f--- these guys. If your question was about anyone else on any other topic that would be one thing, but if the news story involve parents, suddenly these ass-hats feel personally insulted by you. Suddenly you're the holy inquisition, breathing down their neck and telling them what they can and cannot do with their own children. I've seen it plenty of times before, and it's sick. Makes me wonder if some of these folks would rather not examine too closely what they're doing with their own kids. Don't know, but it just makes me wonder.

Y'all can call me any name in the book, go right ahead. I think you've got blinders on, and you see red any time anyone questions anything any parent does. How about this: how about if you calm the f--- down and behave like the adults you claim to be.

People f--- up their kids all the time, despite thinking what they're doing is right. Not saying I could do any better, but why is it so taboo to just ask the goddamn question? Seems to me that parents that fly off the handle at a question like JRed's have issues that aren't going to get resolved by putting a beat-down on an anonymous internet poster.

Oh, and I did plenty of stuff when I was a kid. Doesn't mean I have any problem with someone questioning where to draw the line.

GO

jred

Feb 21, 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #92 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Cracklover, good points. I am lame... My first comments to this post (month or so ago) were bad points and misunderstood... Then when I came back to it today, I decided to play a silly little game. My bad!
Jred, you have every right to question these parents... Just try not to waste to much time worrying about it... Thats my 2cents, you can throw all the other change back.

In reply to:

All y'all putting a blanket party on Jred should be ashamed of yourselves. She asked a f---ing question you didn't like. Big deal. Get a grip.

JRed: f--- these guys. If your question was about anyone else on any other topic that would be one thing, but if the news story involve parents, suddenly these ass-hats feel personally insulted by you. Suddenly you're the holy inquisition, breathing down their neck and telling them what they can and cannot do with their own children. I've seen it plenty of times before, and it's sick. Makes me wonder if some of these folks would rather not examine too closely what they're doing with their own kids. Don't know, but it just makes me wonder.

Y'all can call me any name in the book, go right ahead. I think you've got blinders on, and you see red any time anyone questions anything any parent does. How about this: how about if you calm the f--- down and behave like the adults you claim to be.

People f--- up their kids all the time, despite thinking what they're doing is right. Not saying I could do any better, but why is it so taboo to just ask the goddamn question? Seems to me that parents that fly off the handle at a question like JRed's have issues that aren't going to get resolved by putting a beat-down on an anonymous internet poster.

GO
triznut, I was never really worried about it, I just thought it was a topic worthy of discussion. There is nothing said on this forum that would offend me personally, anytime I am angered by anyone's comments I just remember our common bond, boredom at work and, oh yeah rock climbing.

lewisiarediviva

Feb 23, 2006, 5:05 PM
Post #93 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
. . . I was never really worried about it, I just thought it was a topic worthy of discussion. There is nothing said on this forum that would offend me personally, anytime I am angered by anyone's comments I just remember our common bond, boredom at work and, oh yeah rock climbing.

In a normal discussion even a person who stands his ground would at least acknowledge other opinions and ideas as something to consider. Every time I read jred's post I have been under the impression that other ideas only mean that no body understands what jred is saying. Though I think we all get it. I was scared to death when I put my kids in a harness, when I realized he was old enough to hunt, when he was allowed to drive the tractor (and realized a consequence).

But jred opened up a "discussion" on 20,000 foot peaks that has nothing in common with any other dangers in life:

In reply to:
I agree there is something weird and even selfish on the parents part. What is the hurry to get an eight year old doing such things, at eight years the child has not experienced much in life. What is the big rush to get him into potentially life endangering situations? To think that an eight year old is aware of the dangers and can make a calculated assessment of the risks is absurd.

The scariest thing I ever did as a parent was allow my kids to walk to school. They've been on mountain peaks, they've skied through the trees, they've canoed in the currents of the Juan De'Fuca, they've ridden in a car, they've eaten trans fats, they've shot pistols and shot guns, they've mountain biked on a rocky narrow path down hill between trees, they've climbed harder routes than myself. None of this apparently has anything to do with a 20,000 foot climb. Apparently you could never be alone in any of these situations.

In reply to:
Um, how you feel personally about it has no bearing on their decision making process whatsoever, and since I doubt you have had a daily involvement in their lives, you don't get to offer input. You are an armchair quarterback, the worst kind at that.

Why would stymingersfink say such a thing?

I spent three summers working with kids at summer camp and i can guarantee you that by the end of a two week session I would make different decisions about which kids would be allowed to enter a corral alone and which ones couldn't, even at the age of 8. I then spent a few years working with kids for a portion of a day. I would not be capable of making such a decision for these kids at all.

Yes jred, some parents are stupid. We had kids show up for a two week open air cabin environment without sleeping bags, and their parents drove decent cars. I would not advise these parents to take their kid up a 20,000 foot peak. Again, I'm not planning on taking mine. But they allowed their kid to take a risk and sent them to an unknown place were they would actually take the chance of getting bug bites, drowning, and getting bucked off a horse. (Of course this has nothing to do with dangerous situations.)

Some of these kids that I've worked with for only a portion of the day? A few of them would have been better off experiencing a 20,000 foot climb then go home after school. They would rather be in that alone position. But of course any kid alone on a mountain would not know this because they probably have better lives at home.

jred, next time you want to open a discussion be open to idea's like atpeaceinbozeman.

The benefits of this sort of climb?
How can I answer if nothing I can relate it to is not a 20,000 foot climb? You will listen to nothing that is not at "the same danger" level. I will tell you the benefit is very different from going to school and getting as many second chances as your teacher needs you to take so that the teacher doesn't get docked points for having a student who received an F. On a 20,000 foot peak I can guarantee you that the only 2nd chance you get is after you return successfully. The benefit is that you experience your consequences, unlike this "Leave no child behind" crap.

Which brings me back to stymersfink's comments: So many people out their think they know how to raise our kids. But on a daily basis we as parents send our kids out into a world. We do so because our kids need to learn how to live in the world that they will one day be adults in. They need to learn how to deal with their peers and technology and differing opinions. BUT we send them out and when they return they are lazy. They think they do a good job because they moved on to the next grade. They are manipulative to a self-defeating level because they learn to manipulate tricks that make teachers think they really do need to get away with things. We send our kids to family and they return with stuff- our kids are spoiled above and beyond a level we were spoiled at as kids. We didn't get everything for free. Our kids get everything from candy, to trinkets and toys, to grades for free.

You wonder why we parents are offended when you refer to any of us who are willing to lead a kid that we LIVE with a real experience selfish? Ignorant? We as parents who take the time to know our kids want the best for our kid. We want them to learn responsibility, what it means to be human. Getting rewarded even when taking responsibility was not apparent, and the idea that food comes from the store is not human. To be a responsible human- risks must take place.

Are you still only listening to yourself?

rockkid55

Feb 23, 2006, 5:28 PM
Post #94 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry. I'm just not impressed by rich white kids whose rich white parents have the time and money to do these kinds of things.

That's why I'm not impressed by a lot of Olympians. There's nothing terribly bad-ass about having rich parents that allow you to train round-the-clock while they pay for everything.

So yeah. Kids like this will be climbing 5.19 and doing laps on Everest within ten years. Not too impressive. Maybe if they'd done it on their own (and discovered climbing ON THEIR OWN) I'd be whistling a different tune.

krusher4

Feb 23, 2006, 6:12 PM
Post #95 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Sorry. I'm just not impressed by rich white kids whose rich white parents have the time and money to do these kinds of things.

That's why I'm not impressed by a lot of Olympians. There's nothing terribly bad-ass about having rich parents that allow you to train round-the-clock while they pay for everything.

So yeah. Kids like this will be climbing 5.19 and doing laps on Everest within ten years. Not too impressive. Maybe if they'd done it on their own (and discovered climbing ON THEIR OWN) I'd be whistling a different tune.

Ohhh I feel the same!!! and couldn't agree with you more.

stevep

Feb 23, 2006, 6:40 PM
Post #96 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a parent, and I think I'm with jred on this.

There are some safety boundaries that I wouldn't cross with an 8 year old. High altitude mountaineering is one. Rainier is technically a walk-up and people die on that mountain every year, even on the easy routes. And its 5000 ft shorter than Island. Aconcagua is a walk up as well, and people die there too. An eight year old doesn't belong in that situation (nor for that matter on a dangerous alpine north face).
This doesn't mean that there isn't plenty of adventure you can't have with a kid, and that rock climbing and or/hiking aren't good therapy for Apsergers. Just that there are some boundaries.
We all have different ideas about these boundaries -- lewisiarediviva, you said you let your kids go mountain biking and hunting by themselves. Would you have let them hunt at age 8 by themselves? Probably not. So you have boundaries as well. There are no absolutes in this, just opinions. I took my 3 yr old daughter with me out on a surfboard in Hawaii two weeks ago. There are probably people who will feel that's irresponsible. Whatever. I'm certainly, and jred is as well, entitled to an opinion that high altitude mountaineering with an 8 yr old crosses a boundary.

jred

Feb 23, 2006, 7:43 PM
Post #97 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

]

In reply to:
In a normal discussion even a person who stands his ground would at least acknowledge other opinions and ideas as something to consider. Every time I read jred's post I have been under the impression that other ideas only mean that no body understands what jred is saying. Though I think we all get it. I was scared to death when I put my kids in a harness, when I realized he was old enough to hunt, when he was allowed to drive the tractor (and realized a consequence
). I have considered the opinions that actually address what we are discussing. I considered the opinions of those that gave details explaining why the climb Aidan did was not very extreme and therefore not very dangerous to Aidan. I considered the fact that no evidence seemed to be available stating altitudes negative effects on young lungs. I have given no consideration to off topic, irrelevant comparisons of other less dangerous activities.

In reply to:
But jred opened up a "discussion" on 20,000 foot peaks that has nothing in common with any other dangers in life
:Other dangers are not being discussed, we are talking about one activity here. If you want to talk about parents taking other risks with their children start a new thread.

In reply to:
I agree there is something weird and even selfish on the parents part. What is the hurry to get an eight year old doing such things, at eight years the child has not experienced much in life. What is the big rush to get him into potentially life endangering situations? To think that an eight year old is aware of the dangers and can make a calculated assessment of the risks is absurd.

In reply to:
The scariest thing I ever did as a parent was allow my kids to walk to school. They've been on mountain peaks, they've skied through the trees, they've canoed in the currents of the Juan De'Fuca, they've ridden in a car, they've eaten trans fats, they've shot pistols and shot guns, they've mountain biked on a rocky narrow path down hill between trees, they've climbed harder routes than myself. None of this apparently has anything to do with a 20,000 foot climb. Apparently you could never be alone in any of these situations
.Again, you continually bring up other activities, why? We are discussing whether or not we feel it is appropriate for a 8 year old to climb above 20'000 ft. Mountaineering at this altitude presents dangers that are exclusive of every activity you have mentioned. Comparing activities which are obviously much safer than mountaineering is a poor argument at best. Apples and oranges.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Um, how you feel personally about it has no bearing on their decision making process whatsoever, and since I doubt you have had a daily involvement in their lives, you don't get to offer input. You are an armchair quarterback, the worst kind at that.

Why would stymingersfink say such a thing?
stymingersfink, was antagonizing me for a laugh, he admitted it latter.
In reply to:
I spent three summers working with kids at summer camp and i can guarantee you that by the end of a two week session I would make different decisions about which kids would be allowed to enter a corral alone and which ones couldn't, even at the age of 8. I then spent a few years working with kids for a portion of a day. I would not be capable of making such a decision for these kids at all.
You just plain lost me on this one.

In reply to:
Yes jred, some parents are stupid. We had kids show up for a two week open air cabin environment without sleeping bags, and their parents drove decent cars. I would not advise these parents to take their kid up a 20,000 foot peak. Again, I'm not planning on taking mine. But they allowed their kid to take a risk and sent them to an unknown place were they would actually take the chance of getting bug bites, drowning, and getting bucked off a horse. (Of course this has nothing to do with dangerous situations.)
OK so you seem to agree with me, and you yourself would not bring your own children to this altitude, in fact you would even advise these parents not to bring their child to this altitude. I don't know if I would go so far as to tell the parents what not to do with their own children, unless asked. This discussion was never intended to tell people how to raise their kids.

jred, next time you want to open a discussion be open to idea's like atpeaceinbozeman.

In reply to:
The benefits of this sort of climb?
How can I answer if nothing I can relate it to is not a 20,000 foot climb?
You can not, other than to offer an educated opinion based on what you may have seen or heard/read. You can't just come up with a random activity and decide it is a fair comparison. en to
In reply to:
nYou will listothing that is not at "the same danger" level.
Why the hell would I?

In reply to:
You wonder why we parents are offended when you refer to any of us who are willing to lead a kid that we LIVE with a real experience selfish? Ignorant? We as parents who take the time to know our kids want the best for our kid. We want them to learn responsibility, what it means to be human. Getting rewarded even when taking responsibility was not apparent, and the idea that food comes from the store is not human. To be a responsible human- risks must take place
.So, parents motives should never be questioned? When have I told anyone how to raise their children? How could somebody take offense to me wondering if bringing an eight yr. old up to 20'000 ft. is a good idea? You should read cracklovers post, I think it applies to you.

In reply to:
Are you still only listening to yourself?[/quote
]I have always been open to arguments based on logic and reason. I would be open to hearing why people think this IS a good activity for little guys. I am not open to people who have no clue about the actual risks, spouting random activities in comparison as if they were a valid argument in favour of this activity.

lewisiarediviva

Feb 23, 2006, 9:29 PM
Post #98 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
]

In reply to:
But jred opened up a "discussion" on 20,000 foot peaks that has nothing in common with any other dangers in life
:Other dangers are not being discussed, we are talking about one activity here. If you want to talk about parents taking other risks with their children start a new thread.
which is exactly why the discussion has gone nowhere.

usually when people attempt to understand something they try to relate it to the experiences of themselves or others. But no one else here has taken their young child up a 20,000 foot peak. We can only speculate. Each of us coming up with reasons one way or another, our experiences of minor issues that may relate as far as our imaginations can comprehend. You are disregarding that point.

lewisiarediviva

Feb 23, 2006, 9:59 PM
Post #99 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
lewisiarediviva, you said you let your kids go mountain biking and hunting by themselves.

wtf? My kids are 9 and 11.

I accept jred's opinion. I agree with him on the topic. I disagree that the opinion on the topic is so right that we should call the parents that do this sort of thing "selfish." I am also offended that he bashed me when I sat down and typed out reasons that I could relate to on why parents might do such extreme climbing.

My neighbor, the one that said unicycles are so dangerous- should she bash me because I find reason to disagree?

When I come up to something I disagree with I'd like to be on friendly terms with those I disagree with so that I can go to them to learn how to deal with a difficult situation when I find myself in it and find that I was wrong.

jred has no basis of knowledge of what happens to kids at 20,000 feet. He would like to know- but he will only listen to very specific experience. Boundary's that we allow our kid's to cross or not cross are ours. Even jred knows that I agree that 20,000 feet at age 8 is a boundary to not cross (as well as hunting alone at age 11, 9yrs. old is illegal in my state), unless you seriously begin to evaluate questions brought up by atpeaceinbozeman.

I think we should focus on questions asked by atpeaceinbozeman, because he has asked the right questions to move this discussion in the way that jred wanted to. jred just put his foot in his mouth on this one though- something i do quite often myself.

lewisiarediviva

Feb 23, 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #100 of 146 (13032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have considered the opinions that actually address what we are discussing. I considered the opinions of those that gave details explaining why the climb Aidan did was not very extreme and therefore not very dangerous to Aidan. . . I have given no consideration to off topic, irrelevant comparisons of other less dangerous activities.

For myself I did not know that you were considering these things, you did not communicate your considerations of them.

As to off topic: Matter of opinion. Dismissing idea's because they appear to be irrelevant. You know, Doctor's that do that often misdiagnose patients. Of course, that is irrelevant.

Take some child development classes. It won't change your opinion. But you may understand why some of us use cross-relevance to understand and discuss things. We are looking for simularity's. An 8 year old can tell you why crossing the road is so dangerous, but all my child development classes have told me that they still don't "comprehend" the danger. This is the point that is relevent to the discussion. You are right, they don't comprehend the danger at 20,000 feet. Now a 15 year old may be physically capable of dealing with life at 20,000 feet. But a 15 year old also has this idea that they are invinsible. Sometimes I think I'd rather climb with the 8 year old, because the 15 year old scares me.

As a parent I have had to "let go" of many things so that my kids would not be "over protected." Which is why I am so offended by your idea that the parents are being selfish.

I was delighted to come back to this thread and see other parents hold the same awe and respect for Aidan's parents as I did.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Archive : World Climbing News

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook