RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

zenblender

Mar 1, 2006, 8:58 PM
Post #1 of 1 (729 views)
Shortcut

Peculiar pain in right ring finger
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm frustrated because this chronic injury won't go away... I was hoping someone might have some feedback for me.

The ring finger on my right hand is sometimes painful when too much pressure is applied to its side. For example, if I am looking at the back of my hand, with fingers outstretched, and I push the ring finger towards the left or right, I can feel pain along the joints, but only on the sides of the finger. It really doesn't feel like a muscular injury, but rather something in the tendons/tendon sheaths on the side of the finger.

The injury occurred gradually, and I've not climbed in most of a year to see if it would heal, but alas, it has not. I also have tried mild physical therapy as well as a period where I immobilized the finger with tape and took anti-inflammatories (treated as tendonitis). I've seen three doctors about this, which led to trying these things.

When I climb (usually in a gym) I always tape my middle finger to my ring finger, and that helps. The next day it feels sore and is uncomfortable in a way that disturbs me and it can be a over a week before I feel like I should climb again.

I wish I knew the cause of the pain. The remedies that doctors have given me are quite different, so I know that the cause is still very much unknown. This is the kind of thing I can climb on, but I'm paranoid that I could be damaging it. When I am climbing, I don't notice it much, it's the next day when it is painful.

I feel no pain in the palm of my hand, and for normal crimping of the fingers (which doesn't pull the ring finger to the left or right), I don't notice any pain.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions? Thanks very much! :D

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook