Premier Sponsor:

Partner wideguy

Mar 10, 2006, 4:25 PM
Post #1 of 6 (113 views)
Shortcut

Anyone Know TV Repair?
Report this Post
Can't Post

First off, I do not intend to attempt repairs myself, so skip the warnings about residual voltage and death. I just need some info here.

I have a Sony 27 inch flat Tube TV, Pre-WEGA, with image issues. Symptoms are that if the TV has been unplugged and sitting idle for a while you can plug it in, turn it on and the picture is great, everything is fine. I did this when it was first donated to me. Then I unplugged it.

Next day I plugged it back in to show to someone. For about 30 seconds I got only audio with a black screen, then about 30 seconds of audio with a single band of image in the center (Like the horizantal size had been cranked WAY down) which slowly expanded over about a minute to full image. Then was fine. Turned it off, but left it plugged in.

Went back later that day and saw the same thin only this time it took more than 10 minutes to get back to full image. Turned it off.

Next morning full image took over 45 minutes, closer to an hour.
The I unplugged it for 3 or 4 days and first time it was plugged back in to came straight to life.

Any idea's on cause, fixability? It's for a replacment TV for a bedroom, (replacing a 19?? era Philco Console :shock: ) So thr "Keep it unplugged unless you need it, especially with it losing channel memory etc every time, is not an ideal solution. The image and audio and all other aspects are real nice other than thes warm-up issues. If I can get it fixed for less than the ~$300 I'd pay for an equivalent model new it'd be nice.

Any thoughts

Partner pharmboy

Mar 10, 2006, 4:34 PM
Post #2 of 6 (113 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anyone Know TV Repair? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chad, I don't know much about televisions... but this guy might be just the answer your looking for:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/topic/108395

caughtinside

Mar 10, 2006, 5:27 PM
Post #3 of 6 (113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
First off, I do not intend to attempt repairs myself, so skip the warnings about residual voltage and death. I just need some info here.

Good. I was young and dumb and tried to fix a TV and nearly killed myself. WHoops!

The good news is, even after the bright arc of electricity blinded me for 15 minutes, the TV repair guy was still able to fix our set for like $40 bucks, in just a couple days.

Our problem was exactly like yours, with the horizontal line with a tiny picture. Well, compounded by my first fix it attempts.

madriver

Mar 10, 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #4 of 6 (113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how old is the set? The only thing that I've had done that has worked is replacing the power supply. Had a GE 27" for at least 20 years by replacing the power supply after 12 years. Yeah...I'm a cheap S.O.B....but hey....20 years outta one set.....I guess it's a guy thing....

charley

Mar 10, 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #5 of 6 (113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
how old is the set? The only thing that I've had done that has worked is replacing the power supply. Had a GE 27" for at least 20 years by replacing the power supply after 12 years. Yeah...I'm a cheap S.O.B....but hey....20 years outta one set.....I guess it's a guy thing....

I've got shirts older than that. Must be a guy thing.

thegreytradster

Mar 11, 2006, 2:40 AM
Post #6 of 6 (113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bad Horizontal amplifier or High voltage power supply and flyback transformer. These come as one unit on late model sets.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook