RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

soyescaladora

Mar 28, 2006, 7:02 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2715 views)
Shortcut

Peter Terbush lawsuit.. to sue or not to sue
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In the latest issue of Climbing mag, I read about Peter Terbush's family trying to sue NPS for $10 million when Peter died to rockfall in Yosemite a few years back. They say the NPS was negligent because they failed to post signs warning people about potential rockfall. Scientists on the case say the Park was aware that a sewage leak had weakened the rock and therefore are contributed to Terbush's death by failing to post signs.
Now, I respect the Terbush family, which has given my (and Peter's) old university and outdoor ed. program money, but I really disagree with the suit. I agree that if there was a sewage leak and the rock was stressed, signs may have helped deter some folks, but come on, climbing involves inherent risks. Anyone should expect potential rockfall, especially a guy from Gunnison, who undoubtedly has climbed or had heard of the climbing in the Black Canyon.
When people sue because of natural causes involved in climbing, it only leads to access issues and landowners and legislation considering stricter rules and regulations.
I think the Terbush family, in trying to good for the climbing community (or themselves) are actually hindering the free spirit of climbing, which is the essence of our passion.
Am I right?!

overlord

Mar 28, 2006, 7:18 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2715 views)
Shortcut

Re: Peter Terbush lawsuit.. to sue or not to sue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

do a serach. this has been discussed before :wink:

seanhabgood

Mar 28, 2006, 8:04 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2715 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just read the liability labels on new climbing gear it is a dangerous sport. The end result could be the complete shut down of climbing areas for fear of a law suite. The NPS would do it. Sean

mtnmun

Jun 12, 2006, 2:44 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2715 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Peter was a hero when he saved his partners life and did not abandon his belay in the face of danger. His family should be ashamed of themselves.

billcoe_

Jun 12, 2006, 4:09 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2715 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Peter was a hero when he saved his partners life and did not abandon his belay in the face of danger. His family should be ashamed of themselves.

Don't know about the first part, last part total agreement. Fortunately it was tossed out of court quickly. NO MONEY. NO SUIT.

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook