Forums: Community: Campground:
Christianity and the gospel plan of salvation.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

napoleon_in_rags

Apr 22, 2006, 3:48 PM
Post #76 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Re: Christianity and the gospel plan of salvation. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
3 is pretty close to 3.14. What do you want the Bible to do, list every digit in Pi before you'll call it Divine? Can we stop somewhere? 3.14159, or is 3.1416 OK? Pi is 3 if you're calculating from numbers with only one significant figure, which we are, so this isn't the best example to try to discredit the Bible.

Hey, The Mayans, Greeks, Babylonians, Indus Valley Civilization, Romans, Sumerians, etc. all were alot more accurate in their calculation of Pi.

My point is that fundamentalist christians believe that the world was created in 6 days and God rested on the 7th. They don't believe in a 5 day 23 hr creation. They don't believe in a 6 day 5 minute creation. They don't believe that, for a supreme being, a day may mean 1 billion years. They believe that the Bible is infallible. A world where a circle with a 1m diameter has a 3 m circumference. I used this tongue in cheek example to show that the Bible cannot be a basis for science.

eric_k

Apr 22, 2006, 7:23 PM
Post #77 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
3 is pretty close to 3.14. What do you want the Bible to do, list every digit in Pi before you'll call it Divine? Can we stop somewhere? 3.14159, or is 3.1416 OK? Pi is 3 if you're calculating from numbers with only one significant figure, which we are, so this isn't the best example to try to discredit the Bible.

Hey, The Mayans, Greeks, Babylonians, Indus Valley Civilization, Romans, Sumerians, etc. all were alot more accurate in their calculation of Pi.

My point is that fundamentalist christians believe that the world was created in 6 days and God rested on the 7th. They don't believe in a 5 day 23 hr creation. They don't believe in a 6 day 5 minute creation. They don't believe that, for a supreme being, a day may mean 1 billion years. They believe that the Bible is infallible. A world where a circle with a 1m diameter has a 3 m circumference. I used this tongue in cheek example to show that the Bible cannot be a basis for science.

I don’t want to get into the science debate that is going on because I don’t know enough about that. But I know that you are reading the creation story wrong. You are reading it with a western perspective. The problem with this is the Hebrew bible was NOT written for you. It was written for ancient Jewish and Arabic people and you need to read it in there context. The writing style is more poetic than a historical documentation of events. Each day is a build up until humans are created. I fully believe that God created everything in this beautiful creation. God is not bound by time like we are, and if you actually read the Old Testament you will see it takes hundreds of years before you see major action from God in a lot of areas. The Israelites were enslaved in Egypt for a few hundred years before God raised up Moses to bring them out, and it took somewhere around 400 years before God punished Israel for being unfaithful to there covenant with God. So God works at his own time don’t put him in a box.
The world we live in is so beautiful and perfectly created that is proof enough for me that there must be a creator. The world has an order to it which I believe God ordained. There are so many miracles in this world everyday that I can not just look past. So no amount of scientific studies or whatever will change my mind on the matter. Thanks for trying I enjoy the discussion.

jeremy9876543

Apr 22, 2006, 8:17 PM
Post #78 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I don’t want to get into the science debate that is going on because I don’t know enough about that. But I know that you are reading the creation story wrong. You are reading it with a western perspective. The problem with this is the Hebrew bible was NOT written for you. It was written for ancient Jewish and Arabic people and you need to read it in there context. The writing style is more poetic than a historical documentation of events. Each day is a build up until humans are created. I fully believe that God created everything in this beautiful creation. God is not bound by time like we are, and if you actually read the Old Testament you will see it takes hundreds of years before you see major action from God in a lot of areas. The Israelites were enslaved in Egypt for a few hundred years before God raised up Moses to bring them out, and it took somewhere around 400 years before God punished Israel for being unfaithful to there covenant with God. So God works at his own time don’t put him in a box.
The world we live in is so beautiful and perfectly created that is proof enough for me that there must be a creator. The world has an order to it which I believe God ordained. There are so many miracles in this world everyday that I can not just look past. So no amount of scientific studies or whatever will change my mind on the matter. Thanks for trying I enjoy the discussion.

Insert wise ass remark here about how suprising it is that a creationist is not well versed in science.

Is the belief in creationism a part of the reason for the lack of knowlege? (This is meant as a real question)

pinktricam

Apr 22, 2006, 8:27 PM
Post #79 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Insert wise ass remark here about how suprising it is that a creationist is not well versed in science.
What are you're credentials, Bozo, clown college?

jeremy9876543

Apr 22, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #80 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
What are you're credentials, Bozo, clown college?

No, I'm a mime.

blondgecko

Apr 22, 2006, 9:22 PM
Post #81 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Is the belief in creationism a part of the reason for the lack of knowlege? (This is meant as a real question)

Well, if you already "know" how things are, why study anything that you "know" to be wrong?

jeremy9876543

Apr 22, 2006, 9:46 PM
Post #82 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, if you already "know" how things are, why study anything that you "know" to be wrong?

Bingo! This is the basic problem with the inclusion of religion into our schools, courtrooms, and government. Shouldn't we just it leave it up to the individual to adapt or not adapt his belief or lack of belief to whatever the best science at the time is?

Scientists know for a fact that they don't understand everything perfectly. Right wing Christians know for a fact that they know everything perfectly and act accordingly.

pinktricam

Apr 22, 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #83 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
No, I'm a mime.
Well, I suppose one could hope.

napoleon_in_rags

Apr 23, 2006, 2:39 AM
Post #84 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I understand your perspective and respect it. I agree that the Bible is allegorical in many areas. However there are fundamentalist christians who want the bible taught as literal truth. If your personal beliefs are that God created the world and that all scientific discoveries merely show the mechanism of how God accomplished this feat, I have no problem with it. But if you start denying scientific facts because it contradicts what was written in a book 2200 years ago, You are going to lose my respect. And if you start insisting that these easily disprovable beliefs should be taught in a school as scientific facts, I am whole heartedly against you.

(edited for spelling)

eric_k

Apr 23, 2006, 6:54 AM
Post #85 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I understand your perspective and respect it. I agree that the Bible is allegorical in many areas. However there are fundamentalist christians who want the bible taught as literal truth. If your personal beliefs are that God created the world and that all scientific discoveries merely show the mechanism of how God accomplished this feat, I have no problem with it. But if you start denying scientific facts because it contradicts what was written in a book 2200 years ago, You are going to lose my respect. And if you start insisting that these easily disprovable beliefs should be taught in a school as scientific facts, I am whole heartedly against you.

(edited for spelling)

I understand what you are saying too. I am not going to deny anything about science, and I think that schools can teach whatever they think is best, just as long as they don’t force anything on people so everyone can chose there own beliefs.

dirtineye

Apr 23, 2006, 2:48 PM
Post #86 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For those who think that 3 is close enough to pi, and who would believe the bible about pi = 3, your god has damned you for doing so.

Go ahead, use 3 for pi, by all means. Your enterprize based on pi = 3 will fail. This will happen because your god has tested you, and you have failed his test.

jackflash

Apr 23, 2006, 3:24 PM
Post #87 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go ahead, use 3 for pi, by all means. Your enterprize based on pi = 3 will fail. This will happen because your god has tested you, and you have failed his test.

The Israelites weren't exactly known for their engineering prowess, were they? All that time in Egypt wasted...

napoleon_in_rags

Apr 23, 2006, 6:03 PM
Post #88 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I understand what you are saying too. I am not going to deny anything about science, and I think that schools can teach whatever they think is best, just as long as they don’t force anything on people so everyone can chose there own beliefs.

Exactly why a belief system like creationism should not be taught in out public schools.

mikej

Apr 25, 2006, 4:21 AM
Post #89 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I apologize about the Buddha quote, that was a brain fart. I was talking about Gandhi.
I hope this explains why I think carbon dating is poop. http://kecirohomeschool.com/carbondating.htm Some Christians may believe that any number of given things in the bible are to be taken literally. These people are also missing the point of the writings and the character of God. Read Matthew chapter 12 up to verse 21 for a couple of responses Jesus had to people who took some parts of the Bible out of context. http://www.biblegateway.com/...hapter=12&version=49
edited to fix links

jackflash

Apr 25, 2006, 12:25 PM
Post #90 of 90 (1887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I hope this explains why I think carbon dating is poop.

The page you mention has a few glaring problems. First, C14 levels are not assumed to be constant. They are known to fluctuate. One might think this makes an even bigger problem for carbon dating, but it doesn't because the data is calibrated by using tree rings, ice cores, etc. so that an accurate date is still reached.

Notably, the examples of innacurate dating that the article mentions all involve sealife. Marine organisms can be difficult to use carbon dating on because of the resevoir effect, where the food cycle has incorporated currents of very old carbon, making any organism in that cycle seem much older. Good thing we can test for it and know when carbon dating shouldn't be used. To argue that carbon dating is faulty because of this would be like arguing that a ruler can't be a measuring tool because it won't tell you your waist size.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook