RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

socialclimber

Apr 22, 2006, 9:58 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Tourists rescued from Franz Josef Glacier
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Two Swiss men have been rescued from Franz Josef Glacier after one fell and the other became stuck on a cliff face last night.

The man who fell suffered serious leg and head injuries and was rescued about 5pm yesterday. He was taken to Grey Hospital.

Inspector Warren Kemp of the police southern communications centre said the second man remained stuck on the cliff until about 12.20am, when a helicopter with night vision equipment and winching capability was able to rescue him.

It had been feared he could be suffering from hypothermia as he was dressed only in a t-shirt and shorts but he was believed to be fine.

- NZPA

New Zealand Herald

doogle

Apr 22, 2006, 11:49 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Re: Tourists rescued from Franz Josef Glacier [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like they were as unprepared as always...

majid_sabet

Apr 23, 2006, 6:47 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know if these two jokers lost 1-2 fingers or a toe due to hypothermia then they would not joke around with t-shirts and shorts on the frozen ice.

overlord

Apr 23, 2006, 6:55 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive seen people trekking some quite serious terrain in flipflops... but going over a glacier with just your tshir and shorts is even more idiotic than that. thats kinda like driving a car without a steering wheel and breaks down the wrong lane on the highway.

steadymatrock

Apr 23, 2006, 6:59 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One word "Idiots!"

majid_sabet

Apr 23, 2006, 8:02 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ive seen people trekking some quite serious terrain in flipflops... but going over a glacier with just your tshir and shorts is even more idiotic than that. thats kinda like driving a car without a steering wheel and breaks down the wrong lane on the highway.

Many years ago, one hot summer, 7 pm
I was about to eat my sandwich and I was asked to go and find a guys with sever dehydration on a very popular trial.

I had 30 min of sunlight and some long ass hike to find this 250 pounder wearing a T-shirt and a short. This trail was leading to few hours of zig zag which I did not want to do in the middle of night so 25 min in to hike, I ran it to this dude.

All typical signs of sever dehydration is present, dark urine, nausea, fatigue, have not had any water for 12 hours of hike so my first question was this “ when was the last time you had any drink? He answered: ohh in the morning.

So I said how come you did not drink any water? He answered again; oh I did not see any water.

I turned around and point this FAT MATHER MAMMA 100 feet wide river full of fresh melted glacier water right next to us, which he was hiking next to it for at least 5 hours.

WTF is this next to us !! Is not this water man ?
He replied, YAA I SAW it but they told me I will get sick if I drink this kind of WATER.

So I gave him a little water out of my water bottle and then he said he couldn’t walk, he said he was DIZZY. Can you call for more Help he said. He had either helicopter or taxi on mind .

Well at that point I figured that I had a smarty on my hand so I said, listen, we are in bad area, after sunset, this area gets full of mountain loins and bears we got to move NOW or else. I swear once he heard bears, he was turbo charged and ran like hell downhill, half way thru the hike, I called for medic and once we made it down, they got him on a IV and he was good to go.

geobum

Apr 23, 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reminds me of when i scrambled up the melt-out till to take a photo of the anual layering of the ice... some blow hard guide yells out "that's a pretty unsafe thing to do!"

at which point i yelled back, "well i am a geologist and you're a guide, so you go ahead and stay behind the ropes"

actually, i didn't say that. and it was pretty stupid. but now i have stellar photo.

lenny7247

Apr 23, 2006, 11:56 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes they are idiots but at least they are safe

shanz

Apr 23, 2006, 3:34 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Idiots~~~~~~~~~~~
LOL seriously though glad they are safe

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook