RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

bch

Apr 27, 2006, 3:19 AM
Post #1 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

mythos back-lacing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've heard there's a reason for the long ass laces on Mythos. Somehow it helps with the air poket prob. Is there a special way to back-lace them or do you just wrap them under the sole once? Thanks.

musicman1586

Apr 27, 2006, 3:27 AM
Post #2 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Re: mythos back-lacing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The lacing system is actually a part of the shoe itself, the laces run along the back of the heel in a series of leather loops and then up through the usual laces, it's pretty funky, but it works well and was innovative enough to get a patent, so yeah...here's a pretty good pic of it http://www.gearexpress.biz/...&Product_Code=987739

hopper

Apr 27, 2006, 3:28 AM
Post #3 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*Disclaimer* I don't have these shoes, but have seen them plenty of times.

If you look at a pic:
http://www.paganmountaineering.com/...rtiva_mythos_lrg.jpg
Image credit: PaganMountaineering.com via Google Image

the long laces run through the "cuff" around your ankle. This should tighten everything up around that area, eliminating "dead spots".

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or elaborate.

--JB

musicman1586

Apr 27, 2006, 3:38 AM
Post #4 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

If you look at a pic:

the long laces run through the "cuff" around your ankle. This should tighten everything up around that area, eliminating "dead spots".

--JB

Your right, but that picture is actually wrong, the laces coming out of the lil yellow button hole don't go under the lacing going to the heel, perhaps they ship them like that or something for convenience, but the laces actually just come straight out the hole and then you tie them like any other shoe.

blakester

Apr 27, 2006, 3:50 AM
Post #5 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

If you look at a pic:

--JB

Your right, but that picture is actually wrong, the laces coming out of the lil yellow button hole don't go under the lacing going to the heel, perhaps they ship them like that or something for convenience, but the laces actually just come straight out the hole and then you tie them like any other shoe.

I disagree. At first I just tied the them on top after they came out of the yellow grommets, but after tucking them under the side laces and tieing that way, the fit is better and they are more snug, so I say try both and do what fits best.

miavzero

Apr 27, 2006, 4:19 AM
Post #6 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I loved these shoes to death, but my laces would always shread at the toes when I climbed tight hand cracks. The lacing system provides a nice fit, but is not needed when you size the shoes for crack climbing. A real pain to relace.

styndall

Apr 27, 2006, 4:25 AM
Post #7 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

If you look at a pic:

--JB

I disagree. At first I just tied the them on top after they came out of the yellow grommets, but after tucking them under the side laces and tieing that way, the fit is better and they are more snug, so I say try both and do what fits best.

You're exactly right here. Tying the laces as shown in the photo pulls the lace around the heal-cup tight, improving the fit around the ankle.

If you tie them like any other shoe, you lose the benefit of the lacing system.

hoipolloi

Apr 27, 2006, 4:27 AM
Post #8 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How do people feel about the rubber on the mythos compared with the 5.10 rubber? I know people go both ways, just curious what some of you guys think.

miavzero

Apr 27, 2006, 4:43 AM
Post #9 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How do people feel about the rubber on the mythos compared with the 5.10 rubber? I know people go both ways, just curious what some of you guys think.
rubber is a placebo or an excuse for most folks. most modern shoe manufacturers now use good rubber.
As far as going both ways, male and female versions exist, but please remember that double wrapping is less effective and abstinence is the only way to be sure.

mingleefu

Apr 27, 2006, 4:56 AM
Post #10 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also like to tie my mythos this way. It isn't the first time I've seen this style though. I learned it along time ago from a salesman at a foot locker. I think he convinced me to tie my new British Knights this way, but that didn't last long (The lacing nor the BK's). I once heard that it actually has some purpose, but google didn't help me find out what it was. I know it locks the heel down better, in all shoes--not just the mythos.

It's called the "Ghillie" or "Ghilley" system, and it's the reason many gym shoes have two eyelets real close at the top. The lace can come out (up) from the lower eyelet and then in (down) through the same-side upper eyelet, creating a small loop. then they cross, running through the opposite-side loop, and meet to tie.

If you think about the mechanics of it, where ordinary tying creates a 2:1 mechanical advantage (theoretically) through the eyelet (pulley), this system creates a greater ratio (4:1??). It pulls the heel firmly back into the heelcup of the shoe. Do feet blister less with this? I really don't know what the true value of this system might be.

Cheers.

sspssp

Apr 27, 2006, 7:30 PM
Post #11 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I loved these shoes to death, but my laces would always shread at the toes when I climbed tight hand cracks. The lacing system provides a nice fit, but is not needed when you size the shoes for crack climbing. A real pain to relace.

I like the Mythos lacing system. Even for multi-pitch crack climbing, I like being able to snug them up. Having a narrow foot/heel, for me, the lacing system is still needed.

However, when I'm trying to redpoint a .75 camalot sized crack at Indian Creek, I'm replacing the shoes laces every other day (well, it feels like every other day). Its a nuisance, but (with extensive practice) it only takes me about ten minutes per shoe.

boss

Apr 27, 2006, 7:52 PM
Post #12 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I actually like sportiva's XSV rubber a bit better than stealth. Always seem to stick better for me and last a bit longer.

Boss

meesier42

Apr 27, 2006, 8:51 PM
Post #13 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the lacing thing a little differently, I lace under the heel loop cross, then through the eyelets, cross and again through the heel loop then try. The fit is great.

Next thing, as for rubber I resoled my with stealth rubber and I definately thing they are much stickier now. My only issue I have with these shoes ( and I am considering buy another pair of shoes) is they don't face climb as well I would like, I am looking for something with a little more power in the toes for that. If you have suggestions let me know.

claramie

Apr 27, 2006, 9:19 PM
Post #14 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

If you look at a pic:

--JB

You're exactly right here. Tying the laces as shown in the photo pulls the lace around the heal-cup tight, improving the fit around the ankle.

If you tie them like any other shoe, you lose the benefit of the lacing system.

I do it a little different. I let the lace come out of the grommet and run it across the tongue, under the 'heel hook' lace on the other side and then pull back to tie the knot. It uses up more lace this way.

CL

sspssp

Apr 27, 2006, 9:52 PM
Post #15 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I do it a little different. I let the lace come out of the grommet and run it across the tongue, under the 'heel hook' lace on the other side and then pull back to tie the knot. It uses up more lace this way.

CL

If you are trying to use up extra lace, cut it to the size you want. Melt the end with a cig lighter. Voila, custom length laces in ten seconds.

kungfuclimber

Apr 27, 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #16 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pshhh.. "Lavender" mythos are so 2005 :roll: ... get with the program 8^)

http://images.mec.ca/...6577569830583479.jpg

bch

Apr 30, 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #17 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks all for your input. I think I'll do a combo: use the side loops and wrap the lace once around and under the sole. I find that the latter loses more dead space and uses more lace, at least for me. Peace.

bigevilgrape

May 1, 2006, 5:24 AM
Post #18 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Use a crochet hook or a latch hook to put new laces through them :)

i miss purple mythos :(

jsj42

May 1, 2006, 5:41 AM
Post #19 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you fall with back-laced mythos you risk having your shoes coming untied. You should really practice proper lacing while on the ground so that it becomes second nature.

ltj16hb

May 1, 2006, 7:22 AM
Post #20 of 20 (4115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i cannot say enough good things about these shoes...

they were the first pair i bought, and i have put them through some hard times, they have been in constant use for 7 months now, and im just seeing the toe edge rand start to curl up, making them my crack eating machines...

for the 7 months i have been trying to kill the edge practicing very precise footwork on razor thin seams for slab routes... even though they almost have no edge left they still grip the same at the same foot placements where i am running 'laps' on my favorite boulders...

as for the lacing.... i have always put the through the eyelet then threaded them underneath the lace wrapping the heel.... this is the best thing about this shoe... its stuck to my foot so well

as for the idea of them getting shredded then popping off my foot.. never come close to it but im comfortable taking that chance..

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook