Forums: Community: Campground:
Mechanics that have worked on new Beetles....HELP!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

Partner bear829

Jun 10, 2006, 9:40 PM
Post #1 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Mechanics that have worked on new Beetles....HELP!
Report this Post
Can't Post

I need help with finding a part. I have scoured the web looking for an air sensor. All I am coming up with is an oxygen sensor. I'm not too sure if they are the same and if they aren't, where can I find the right part? I know that it is going to take a certified person to find which one I need too. Apperently, there are three. Who knows. I am so confused and I sound like a complete bimbo as well. If you know what I need or have an idea, let me know.

Thanks.

Sarah

timstich

Jun 10, 2006, 9:59 PM
Post #2 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mechanics that have worked on new Beetles....HELP! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hold on a minute there, Sarah. Are you or is someone you know trying to fix your car? It sounds like you are probably trying to throw parts at the problem in the hopes that it will fix it. Having done that in the past a dozen times or so, let me tell you that it gets expensive when you are wrong. Did you get this diagnosed with a computer? Kind of need to do that on modern cars.

I'm not sure about "air sensors" on cars, as I have only heard of oxygen sensors. The O2 sensor on our old Buick was a piece of junk, so it would crap out with some frequency. And just go to the VW dealership and get the correct part number. They have all of that information there...and the parts. If they are too expensive, then maybe take a chance on aftermarket stuff. In my experience most after market electronics are absolute and utter garbage unless you are getting expensive, high performance stuff. But an Autozone O2 sensor? Expect that to burn out monthly.

thegreytradster

Jun 11, 2006, 12:27 AM
Post #3 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are two types of sensors with completely different purposes.

The Mass flow sensor measures the amount of air going into the throttle body. They are usually very expensive but hardly ever fail. On a VW you are probably looking at several hundred dollars.

The oxygen sensor goes on the exhaust system and measures the amount of oxygen remaining in the exhaust. Some cars have two one in front and one after the catalytic converter. They wear out after about 50K miles. They cost 50-80 bucks.

Partner nostalgia

Jun 11, 2006, 4:01 AM
Post #4 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some cars also have an air intake sensor, which senses the temperature of the incoming air. I don't know if the Beetle does.

As Tim said, find out which is the problem before throwing money at it. Any mechanic should be able to plug a computer into it and look up exactly which sensor is the issue.

-Joe

comet

Jun 11, 2006, 4:11 AM
Post #5 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sarah,

I'd be willing to bet it's the MAF (aka mass air flow meter aka mass air flow sensor aka air flow meter). One of the major flaws in the newer VWs is that these go for no apparent reason.

I replaced the MAF in my 2000 Jetta last year by myself in 15 minutes with a $45 part off ebay. It would have cost me ~$500 to get it done by a mechanic. It's 2 screws and a clamp, really easy, and there are step-by-step directions for replacement, with pics, on the interweb.

I'd recommend paying the diagnostic fee, usually 1 hour of "labor", at a reputable mechanic, who can then give you the part number for what you need. Then, you can get the part off of ebay or at NAPA/other parts store and do it yourself.

Good luck! It's fun doing work on your own car. :)

Partner bear829

Jun 11, 2006, 4:47 PM
Post #6 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The car is my mother's car, but I will get it soon. In NY state, we have inspections and when she took it in last week, the mechanic told her that the air sensor was bad. The only problem was that he didn't have a computer to tell him which one was the bad one. He said though, it wouldn't hurt the car so I'm thinking that it is something real small. There are no mechanic's in this area that have the right computer for it. I would have to go to 2 hours north. Sweet. I would love to be able to put the part on myself, but I don't know what to get. I wasn't planning on buying anything until I take it to Buffalo to get the computer diagnosic and know exactly what I need. I just wanted to look on line and see if I could find a part and see how much it would cost for me to do it instead of having to order it from the mechanic and pay $60000000 for it.

Thanks again.

Partner bear829

Jun 11, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #7 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be getting the car from my mum here shortly, but there were a couple of things that the mechanic said had to be fixed in order to pass NY state inspection. The air sensor thingy was one of them. He knows that it is an air sensor, but he doesn't know which one of them it is. He doesn't have the computer needed to find out which one it is. I have to go to Buffalo to a dealer up there to find out which one. Its going to suck. It will cost me ~$150 just to use their computer. I was just hoping that someone knew about an air sensor and I could look it up online and see how much it would be to get it from there instead of having to order it from Wolfsburg.

Thanks again.

thegreytradster

Jun 12, 2006, 1:48 AM
Post #8 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it was the Mass flow sensor, (which also measures the air temperature/density) the car most likely wouldn't run for s@it. The oxygen sensor in the exhaust will keep it from passing smog if it's bad but won't have near as a dramatic effect on how it runs. That sounds like your situation. If it has 50K miles or more just replace them.

the_pirate

Jun 12, 2006, 2:58 PM
Post #9 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn you bear. Now I've got the Beatles singing HELP stuck in my head.

wjca

Jun 12, 2006, 3:10 PM
Post #10 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check the blinker fluid. My bet is that it needs to be changed. Dirty blinker fluid often produces the same symptoms of a bad oxygen sensor. You might also want to have someone check the torque screw on the malconverter. It may need to be adjusted. Did they make sure the angle of the grill weights were at manufacturer specs?

Partner j_ung

Jun 12, 2006, 7:33 PM
Post #11 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Neglect the Johnson valve at your peril!

wjca

Jun 12, 2006, 7:53 PM
Post #12 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh shit! I forgot all about the Johnson valve. Don't even get me started on some of the problems I've had over the years with my Johnson.

Partner bear829

Jun 12, 2006, 9:37 PM
Post #13 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys are all nuts. When I get the car, its going to a certified mechanic with the right computer to get the damn thing running like its supposed to. Thanks for all the advice. If they are simple things that I can do myself, I might just do it and save some money. I will make sure that I have the right stuff to do it though, like a book with step by step pictures. Oh, and sorry pirate, didn't mean to make you have that song stuck in your head.

Bear

wjca

Jun 12, 2006, 9:44 PM
Post #14 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for all the advice. If they are simple things that I can do myself, I might just do it and save some money.

Bear

Well, you can certainly check my Johnson valve yourself.

Yeah, that's right. A little to the left. There you go.

Partner bear829

Jun 12, 2006, 9:50 PM
Post #15 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about that. We'll have to see. :wink:

rendog

Jun 12, 2006, 9:56 PM
Post #16 of 16 (431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bear...

there are literally a dozen different valves and sensors (not including the all important FooFoo valve, or the doomahickey thingy) in those Bugs.

many car part deals have a code reader that you can use for to retrieve the problem codes. usually it's free too (which is nice) just plug it in to the service plugin (usually located under the dash in front of the driver) and turn on your car's ignition to the AUX position. the code that comes up will correspond to a specific problem in the vehicles computer memory. basically anything that has happened to it since it's last service will be stored in there. Provided of course the engine light has come on at least briefly.

some machines will tell you exactly what the problem is, others will come up with a 2, 4 or 6 digit code that is easily looked up in the rapair manual.

any mechanic worth his salt should have one of these as well. they don't need the huge stand alone comps, these can be checked with jsut a small hand held device like this one
http://truckpartsproshop.com/...utoscanner_kit_1.gif

From the sounds of the description though it is most likely an O2 sensor. I drove my old car around for over a year without it plugged in, i just didn't get very good gas milage. Also, when it was hooked up, my car would surge wildly. That's the deffinitive tip off that it's the Oxygen sensor (O2).

I hope this helps you out.

but at all costs like the others say....never neglect the Johnson Valve. if neglected for long enough it has the potential to cost you your house when it goes out looking for a new "service technician" :roll: :P

let me know what happens regardless

d

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook