RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Used Gear / Great Deals

Premier Sponsor:

summerprophet

Jun 20, 2006, 4:17 PM
Post #1 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Gear Stolen
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey there community,

Just hoping that those of you in the bay area could maybe keep your eyes peeled for any sketchy looking characters with a crapload of climbing gear. My truck got broken into and they ran off with a black northface MG35 pack full of my rack, ropes and draws. (note pack has a yellow tether for belays and a rap ring hanging off the back)

What makes my rack different:
All the biners are BD neutrinos, stamped with "JT" on the spine
Old style Wild Country Freinds (pre anodized and pre plastic sleeves)
Old Style rigid stem freinds
If you see Any gear stamped "JT" please notify the Oakland Police and tell them that this is regarding a crime report filed by Justin Turnbull on 06/20/06.

Thanks in advance

summerprophet

Jun 20, 2006, 4:29 PM
Post #2 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Re: Gear Stolen [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, not that I ever expect to see it again, but $500 reward if someone happens to return it to me.

dsnake83

Jun 20, 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #3 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where (location) was it stolen from?

summerprophet

Jun 20, 2006, 6:50 PM
Post #4 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stolen From Oakland near Piedmont and Linda.

Total Tally of gear is
Full set Tech Freinds
Full Set Forged Freinds
Doubles Metolius TCU 00 to 2
Camalots 3 to 4
Double set of nuts (mixed brands)
total of 15 draws of varying lengths (Neutrinos with Wild things slings)
BlueWater Rope 60x10 (Orange)

gary996

Jun 21, 2006, 4:54 AM
Post #5 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope the ppl who stole it from you die of cancer in the most painful of ways

majid_sabet

Jun 21, 2006, 6:38 AM
Post #6 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That F7*ing place

I remember back in late 80's I stop at BONGO BURGER by people's park to get some thing, DUDE came to me and had a small boom box for sale, similar to what we had at home, he said $15 but then I san no thanks.
I got home and honey was sad, I said what is wrong, she told me some one broke in to our apartment while she was in UCB and took our goodies.

I was going to kill that dude that day, I looked every where for him, all over people's park .

Partner tgreene

Jun 28, 2006, 1:05 AM
Post #7 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And a dreadful POC to anyone that would accept a reward... A belay & a beer would be the proper "reward" for any real climber! :D

cosmiccragsman

Jun 28, 2006, 2:14 AM
Post #8 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trophy to you Tgreen!

Tgreen wrote:
In reply to:
And a dreadful POC to anyone that would accept a reward... A belay & a beer would be the proper "reward" for any real climber!

I know what you are going thru Summerprophet. I've had it happen to me twice. I still look at peoples gear to see if there is a DW stamped on it.
I'll keep an eye open for JTs also.

Cosmiccragsman
ps I like Newcastles brown ale :D :wink:

the_iceman

Jul 9, 2006, 7:45 AM
Post #9 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Trophy to you Tgreen!

Tgreen wrote:
In reply to:
And a dreadful POC to anyone that would accept a reward... A belay & a beer would be the proper "reward" for any real climber!

I know what you are going thru Summerprophet. I've had it happen to me twice. I still look at peoples gear to see if there is a DW stamped on it.
I'll keep an eye open for JTs also.

Cosmiccragsman
ps I like Newcastles brown ale :D :wink:

Does your homeowners ins. cover that sort of thing? Twice eh? Hopefully you're 2 times the wiser for it. That does suck pretty hard Summer, I've never had my climbing gear stolen, but I wanna kill someone even if they steal some stupid shit like the gas cap from my car or something. Yes it does happen and it COULD happen to you, If you see somebody with an early 80's Odsmobile, or a late model Jeep, with a gas cap stamped AM, please let me know.

slimper

Jul 9, 2006, 3:42 PM
Post #10 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll keep my eye's wide. Also, I'd watch E bay, and your local craigslist to see if your gear pops up for sale.

slimper

Jul 9, 2006, 3:44 PM
Post #11 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't see that many climbers breaking into cars then climbing on the gear they stole (at least I'd hope not). Most likly it is some damn kid that doesn't kow what he stole.

rockraider715

Jul 11, 2006, 6:53 PM
Post #12 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing on stolen gear= BAD KARMA

aznrockclimber82

Jul 11, 2006, 6:57 PM
Post #13 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How Would Rockraider know?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :twisted:

rockraider715

Jul 11, 2006, 7:09 PM
Post #14 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha. Thanks for that

Anyways good luck- I have recently borken car alarm and im always paranoid about that even with 2 padlocks on my climbing gear boxes.

I may not be able to afford my rent/ or pay it on time becauase of climbing; but what goes around comes around

markc

Jul 11, 2006, 7:46 PM
Post #15 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear about your loss. You may also want to check with any area pawn shops, as well. It can't hurt to give a look.

Do you have home-owner's or renter's insurance? My wife and I had a renter policy that covered replacement of personal items for around $100 a year with a $250 deductible. I forget our current deductible with our home-owner's, but it's between $250 - 500. It can certainly soften the blow of a major theft.

the_iceman

Jul 14, 2006, 3:44 AM
Post #16 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Do you have home-owner's or renter's insurance?

Uh, I think I already mentioned that.

gunkiemike

Jul 14, 2006, 1:04 PM
Post #17 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
haha. Thanks for that

Anyways good luck- I have recently borken car alarm and im always paranoid about that even with 2 padlocks on my climbing gear boxes.

Suppose a thief looks in a bunch of cars in a parking lot late at night. When he gets to yours he sees your box with not one, but TWO locks on it. That's like putting up a flashing neon sign, "Hey, there's something REALLY EXPENSIVE in here!!"

A better bet would be to get a bunch of brown grocery bags and fill each 2/3 full with your gear, Then top each off with a bunch of balled up Kleenex and some bread crusts and maybe a rotting pork chop bone, and leave them on your back seat. No thief wants to steal somebody's garbage.

I'm serious.

markc

Jul 14, 2006, 1:20 PM
Post #18 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

PM with your address and I'll send a personal apology immediately. You specifically mentioned homeowner's insurance. I find there are a lot of people that rent that either don't realize there is insurance available to them, or don't realize how affordable it can be.

Besides, there are lots of occasions where people post similar advice throughout a thread, with or without acknowledging similar posts. I tend to view it as reinforcement of good advice rather than someone stealing my thunder. Obviously, YMMV.

markc

Jul 14, 2006, 1:29 PM
Post #19 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
haha. Thanks for that

Anyways good luck- I have recently broken car alarm and im always paranoid about that even with 2 padlocks on my climbing gear boxes.

Suppose a thief looks in a bunch of cars in a parking lot late at night. When he gets to yours he sees your box with not one, but TWO locks on it. That's like putting up a flashing neon sign, "Hey, there's something REALLY EXPENSIVE in here!!"

A better bet would be to get a bunch of brown grocery bags and fill each 2/3 full with your gear, Then top each off with a bunch of balled up Kleenex and some bread crusts and maybe a rotting pork chop bone, and leave them on your back seat. No thief wants to steal somebody's garbage.

I'm serious.

I hear what you're saying, but there's more than one way to make your car a less attractive target. Camouflage is one method, but something thieves are aware of. Difficulty and time required is another. If someone else's car has stacks of gear in the open, and you have a lock box with two locks to get through, they're probably targeting door number one.

Maybe the best strategy is to employ more than one method. Securing a gear box in the trunk of your car keeps it out of sight, and provides some added security should someone get in. If you have things out in the open, the disgusting pig method above may work better than the carefully draped and tucked blanket method. That just looks like the curtain they pull up in old game shows.

the_iceman

Jul 17, 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #20 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

PM with your address and I'll send a personal apology immediately. You specifically mentioned homeowner's insurance. I find there are a lot of people that rent that either don't realize there is insurance available to them, or don't realize how affordable it can be.

Besides, there are lots of occasions where people post similar advice throughout a thread, with or without acknowledging similar posts. I tend to view it as reinforcement of good advice rather than someone stealing my thunder. Obviously, YMMV.

Didn't think you were trying to steal my thunder. I just think people should read the thread before posting. You're right though, you did mention renter's ins. and I didn't. I didn't feel the need to mention it (though that's what I use) because I figured anybody who had ins. Whether "Renter's" or "Owner's" would get the message. No offence mate, sorry my post came off as a little bit abrasive.

No need to send me an apology but... For eternal happiness, please send $1 to:

Happy Guy
742 Evergreen Terrace
Springfield.

Forums : Archive : Used Gear / Great Deals

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook