Forums: Climbing Partners: US - MidWest:
Old Climber? You Still Climbing? Yes or No = STILL WANT TO??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

preacherman

Apr 19, 2006, 3:35 PM
Post #1 of 12 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Old Climber? You Still Climbing? Yes or No = STILL WANT TO??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

From one old climber to another: looking for a partner for all kinds of climbing, from mountaineering, alpine, rock, ice = long or short trips, moderate difficulty, consider going most anywhere. Looking for others who have broader interests than current partners who are mostly rock climbers.

I'm 58 yrs., retired and relocated to West Virginia. Have time and some $$$ for travel. No gear needed and have transportation.

Currently recovering from a non-climbing related surgery that has no effect on climbing. I had a major horseback riding accident. Just need to get back into shape.

Climbing resume available.

If interested, let me know.

Home e-mail... morninggloryfarm7@hotmail.com
" phone... (304) 497-2949

Thanks

oldguy53

May 22, 2006, 1:58 AM
Post #2 of 12 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Re: Old Climber? You Still Climbing? Yes or No = STILL WANT [In reply to]
Report this Post

Howdy.. I'm in the 55 year old group and still want to go . I'll try you on the e-mail. If that don't work back here. old guy 53

preacherman

May 23, 2006, 2:50 PM
Post #3 of 12 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Greetings, Youth:

Sure glad you responded, as I was beginning to think there were only bold climbers left but no old climbers (at least as the saying goes: there are bold climbers and there are old climbers but there are no old, bold climbers!)

Anyway, I kinda' put where I am "on the table" via this site. Current plans for me are to continue climbing this Summer at Seneca Rocks, here in WV, and thinking about going back to Canada for some alpine climbing or some such thing. I'm open, and very, very flexible, just have to make sure I'm fit enough and technically capable.

What about you? I tried to scan some of your posts but I'm a computer dummy and didn't get far. Any 2006 plans? What have you been doing?
Ideas about what you might want to do?

If needed/interested, I can forward to you a list of some of the climbs I've done (or whatever) to give you some idea of my background.

Here's my e-mail address:

morninggloryfarm7@hotmail.com

Hope to hear from you,

Tom

oldguy53

May 23, 2006, 9:10 PM
Post #4 of 12 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Back at ya.
My old climbing buddies [ 48 & 46 } ain't in to it as much as before. One got a Harley and the other started into horses. And the fire don't burn as bright for them as once it did. As for myself it was hard to do off season conditioning with no major plans for this summer. And my son is getting married this June and so that month is off the climbing schedule.

But on to the good news. My son and his bride and I are planning a Seneca trip this 4 th of July. And that would seem to be the perfect place to start.

And it gets better. This winter I'll be able to set work life on hold and really plan for next summer/spring/fall. Early retirement , with enough health and wealth to go and do.

I've climbed the Red -of course Ky. , Gunks, N. Carolina wall, El Dorado, Lumpy Ridge, and been rain off the petite in the RMNP. I started with trad and do some sport. Best lead was 10.a trad, and 10.b sport, but sadly those days are gone. I've found alpine to be a real gas.

Bob Boudi Indy.

Partner jammer

May 23, 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #5 of 12 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

If you are heading up to New England, you can drop me a line or PM me to swap phone numbers and make plans. Climb trad & sport ... no ice or aid yet. 53 and still young :D

gilbo

May 26, 2006, 12:49 AM
Post #6 of 12 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

old is a state of mind! I am 45 yrs old and always looking for partners. More into mountaineering and ice climbing, but do some sport and top roping. WOuld love to get into trad...can lead ice 3 and follow 4+. Have climbed on Rainier, Hood, Shuksan, Denali, numerous NE peaks in winter and heading to Washington this July to play on Adams and Baker. I am located about 20 miles west of Cleveland.

Mike

franko

Jun 1, 2006, 6:47 AM
Post #7 of 12 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

If you ever get out to Washington State drop me a PM. Lots to do here.

vikamsp

Jun 29, 2006, 7:45 PM
Post #8 of 12 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hi,
I am not only old (in my 40s), but also very new to climbing. I did a few pitches in the Red (including my first lead climb - Road Side slab) just two weeks ago ... going back there at the end of July, and then for a long weekend in September. I would love to climb with someone my age. The kids (my daughter's friends) are great, but their strength is kind of intimidating - they climb 5.13s. I am willing to listen & learn.

preacherman

Jul 11, 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #9 of 12 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Vikamsp---you still out there????

Sorry for taking soooo long to respond but things here on the farm have been utterly crazy for several weeks. Just now starting to ease up a bit.

I'm in West Virginia. Where are you?

Take heart, I understand your issues: time; kids; 5.13's. Been there with some of that and not ever going to 5.13. The sky is no longer "the limit" for me and, in truth, sometimes I think it is falling!!!

I'm retired now and plan to travel off and on for climbing. I've been rehab. a number of non-climbing related injuries but as I have gone out this year, no body parts have fallen off,. so I'm fairly confident I'll survive more climbing. I've been climbing a very long time and plan to continue forever.

Why not drop me a line here at home, let me know where you are and any further climbing plans you have?

Best,

Tom

home is: morninggloryfarm7@hotmail.com

vikamsp

Jul 12, 2006, 4:16 PM
Post #10 of 12 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hi Tom,
thanks for responding. I will e-mail you at home. Hope to see you at the Red soon.
V.

therelic

Jul 12, 2006, 5:26 PM
Post #11 of 12 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey Preacherman, If you are ever passing through Southern Oregon on one of your trips, feel like clipping some bolts and don't mind climbing with a true geriatric give me a call. I have a small local crag with routes from 5.6-13 that can be lots of fun. If nothing else the scenery is worth the time spent at the crag.

Currently I am off to the SNRA in Idaho with my daughter to scramble some peaks in the Warbonnet area then will be back in Oregon by the second week of August. I won't be around for some of September-October as I have a solo motorcycle trip planned but I am not definite on the dates I will mostly be looking for a good weather window for that trip.

After the bike ride if the weather is still holding I may travel to the Sierras to solo some of the peaks in the Mt Darwin area.

So you are not alone there are some of us curmudgeons still out there doing it.

Bill

oldrnotboldr

Jul 12, 2006, 7:00 PM
Post #12 of 12 (2379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey there preacherman, I know the injury thing well this summer too. I took th ekids to the skateboard park and could not resist trying out the half pipe, even though I have never skateboarded (I'm 53). Ended up tearing my rotator and such things in my right shoulder. That was a couple months ago and it is healing up nice but serious climb stuff is out for this summer.

Sooo, if you or anyone for that matter wander up north, northern Michigan, I can show you some very nice 1-3 pitch routes that HAVE NEVER been climbed. One I have been looking at for a few years has a cave half way up! To my knowledge they would be first ascents. Levels would run 5.6 to maybe 5.10, maybe higher.
Anyone can email me for beta and pics at millerw@chartermi.net

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook