RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

dynorat

Jul 27, 2006, 3:29 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Texas boy goes to Georgia
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am headed to Georgia for the week of Aug 3-10 and would very much like to climb while I am there. I have heard great things about Rock Town and Lost Wall. So if anyone wants to show an out of towner a good time it would be greatly appreciated!

I would be most happy to reciprocate if anyone wants to come to Texas . I can show you the area and tell you all the good eats. I also have a free fold out couch for anyone wanting to venture this way.

Thanks,
Jason

lowballin

Jul 28, 2006, 4:18 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Re: Texas boy goes to Georgia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i am a local to rocktown and would love to climb with you. I am also planning a trip to Cali this winter to boulder at j tree and bisop Im also going to stop at some other places along the way. So when I take off I will really need beta on some areas and locations. Pm me or email me at don.jackson@mktalliance.com and I will see what I can do about makeing it to rocktown. I work alot but im in need of a break.

dynorat

Jul 28, 2006, 5:40 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lowballin, Thanks for the response.

Anybody have thoughts on where to go to beat the heat if at all possible?

Also what are some of the classics to try at RockTown?

sthcrag510

Jul 28, 2006, 5:00 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its going to be hard to beat the heat in summer here. No matter where you are your going to roast. Just bring lots of water.....

wzrdgandalf

Jul 28, 2006, 5:30 PM
Post #5 of 12 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heat will be anywhere and everywhere in GA at this time of year. Rocktown has a lot of classics:

v3 triple slap
v3 standard variatioin
v5 the comet
v5 croc bloc
v5 police brutality
v6? the tooth
v6? pythagorean
v8 the orb
v7/8 the vagina

Try out dr.topo and you can get the topo of the area. A few suggestions on what not to go to in GA for bouldering is boat rock, although good during the winter, it wont be any fun with no friction. If you wanted another trip idea then you might want to think about Horse Pens 40 which is a few hours out of Atlanta (rocktown is two and a half out). Either one is good but HP40 with its Fountainblue-esque slopers may be hard to pull on during the summer.

dynorat

Jul 28, 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the suggestions! keep em coming

chrisparedes

Jul 29, 2006, 12:49 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rocktown is without a doubt the biggest and best boulderfield in GA. However, if you are around the Atlanta area, I would also highly recommend Boat Rock. Think very hard technical slab climbing with a handful of more athletic problems. But mostly, the problems require good contact strength, exact balance on near to nothing footholds, and plenty of fresh skin to be torn to shreds by the coarse and unforgiving granite. check out,
www.seclimbers.org for directions and info.

P.S. these summer temps make boat rock a sweltering jungle, making it nearly impossible to hold onto anything, still great climbing though.

styndall

Jul 29, 2006, 1:13 AM
Post #8 of 12 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Rocktown is without a doubt the biggest and best boulderfield in GA. However, if you are around the Atlanta area, I would also highly recommend Boat Rock. Think very hard technical slab climbing with a handful of more athletic problems. But mostly, the problems require good contact strength, exact balance on near to nothing footholds, and plenty of fresh skin to be torn to shreds by the coarse and unforgiving granite. check out,
www.seclimbers.org for directions and info.

P.S. these summer temps make boat rock a sweltering jungle, making it nearly impossible to hold onto anything, still great climbing though.

Boat Rock bites this summer. I've been twice, and both times I've been the only person foolish enough to climb in the insane weather we've been having. Friction? Impossible.

Last time, I ran about six laps on Easy Crack before sweat defeated my eyebrows and ran freely into my eyes, ending the session.

dynorat

Jul 30, 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How is Rock town for beginners?

I'll be traveling with a couple folks that are new to climbing.

Any classic easy stuff? Areas with a good mixture of easy to moderate climbing?

wzrdgandalf

Jul 30, 2006, 5:44 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rocktown has A LOT of random things to climb that arent actual problems but good climbing. it has some v1 and v0 problems that are in close proximity to the harder classics. The orb v8 is three feet to the left of a v1 problem. Ten feet across from it is a v0 and another v1. They should have plenty of fun, I tend to go with climbers that are much stronger than me but i still have fun because i can always work the problem right next to their "tendonsplosion v34" testpiece.

fishman

Jul 31, 2006, 4:36 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sandrock is my home but then again i love sport

lowballin

Jul 31, 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ive been bouldering for a few years and i still consider myself a beginner of sorts.I remember when I first started rocktown seemed pretty hard for the most part I know HP40 during the winter is a great place for beginners or it was for me Ive never climbed there in the summer but giving the nature of the rock I bet its harder. the orb area is prime at rocktown but theres only like 12 or 15 problems there. Keep a open eye to the stone with no chalk for some good beginner problems just something to pull on.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook