Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Nothing wrong with bolting cracks
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Partner angry

Aug 4, 2006, 1:33 AM
Post #151 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Re: Nothing wrong with bolting cracks [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Iceman, since when is it your responsibility to make routes accessible to anyone?

Every single FA i've ever done, was because I wanted to climb that particular line. It wasn't for anyone, making the route accessible wasn't really the point. I saw a beautiful line and I went up. I've also seen ugly lines and gone up (I'm an equal opportunity employer).

2 fa's in particular would have taken on the order of 7 or so big bro's. Each line would take at least 2 of the giant gold big bro. I could have bolted the chimneys because no-one would argue that to carry so many big bro's plus offwidth size cams is inconvenient. I wonder why I didn't?

sidepull

Aug 4, 2006, 2:09 AM
Post #152 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iceman, this thread is about bolts not dolts.

the_iceman

Aug 4, 2006, 3:16 AM
Post #153 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Iceman, since when is it your responsibility to make routes accessible to anyone?

Every single FA i've ever done, was because I wanted to climb that particular line. It wasn't for anyone, making the route accessible wasn't really the point. I saw a beautiful line and I went up. I've also seen ugly lines and gone up (I'm an equal opportunity employer).

2 fa's in particular would have taken on the order of 7 or so big bro's. Each line would take at least 2 of the giant gold big bro. I could have bolted the chimneys because no-one would argue that to carry so many big bro's plus offwidth size cams is inconvenient. I wonder why I didn't?

Never said it was anybody's responsibility to do anything. I'm not quite following...

johnnybird

Aug 4, 2006, 3:17 AM
Post #154 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have been climbing for about two years. one year spent in a gym. now outisde climbing for about a year. so i am hardly experienced. as of right now i have stuck to bolts (never placed a cam or pro yet). When I see a kick ass crack I dont think "gee i wish someone would bolt that thing." It just makes me want to start climbing trad even more.

tradrenn

Aug 4, 2006, 3:34 AM
Post #155 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i have been climbing for about two years. one year spent in a gym. now outisde climbing for about a year. so i am hardly experienced. as of right now i have stuck to bolts (never placed a cam or pro yet). When I see a kick ass crack I dont think "gee i wish someone would bolt that thing." It just makes me want to start climbing trad even more.

Lets hope more people think that.

jschwartzel

Aug 4, 2006, 3:53 AM
Post #156 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is it... I'm going to bolt 'Supercrack' at Indian Creek this weekend. I cant' afford all of those 1"-1.5" cams. Bolts are cheaper and easier.

Bolting is for when you don't have traditional protection on the rock. It used to be done with pins and run outs. Not everybody should be climbing - especially those who don't trust trad gear or don't want to pay for it.

By the way, 'Supercrack' was first lead with hexes. Those dangerous guys.

Is this elitist? Maybe, put rocks and mountains are not for conquering. Have some respect.

edl

Aug 4, 2006, 5:07 AM
Post #157 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well you mentioned that the the beautiful splitter was in an entirely sport crag... What reason can you provide for not bolting it? If it's a sport crag, it's not going to be used by trad climbers anyway.

For starters, I personally would go and climb it, especially if it was a beautiful hard splitter in granite, as these are rare. I would go back to the try to leave as little mark of your passage as possible argument. Reasons for this argument are that only by leaving as little trace as possible can we preserve our world as long as possible and not fuck it up. Now provide for me an argument against this reasoning, if you can come up with one. So far none of you "devils advocates" have been able to do this. You just keep squirming around from one "counter argument" to the next, hoping somehow to serve the community or something, never once addressing the LNT argument in any way.

In reply to:
Please provide me with a reason other than convenience that you use cams instead of machine nuts with a piece of cordalette threaded through?

None neccessary. We are not the ones putting holes in the rock effecting the rock for lifetimes to come. We use cams because they are better and safer than slung machine nuts. This is not the issue though. We are talking about when it is and is not appropriate to sink holes in the rock, not what type of clean protection is best.

In reply to:
As stated before, bolting makes climbs more accessible to more climbers. Bolts don't prevent the route from being trad climbed. The lack thereof, however, prevents the route from being sport climbed. That's also the difference between bolting and chopping. One is making the route more accessible, the other is making it less. Can you figure out which one is selfish? This is not to say that chopping is never appropriate, that would be as ignorant as saying bolting isn't appropriate.

Makes climbs more accessible? So would building a road to the base. So would chipping the route so anyone could do it. So would building an elevator up the side of the cliff, then ANYONE could "do the route". See where your line of reasoning leads us? See whats wrong with it? Fuck I hope so. But I suppose you will now argue that non-chippers are elitist. BTW, the presence of bolts ups our impact on the rock, thereby jeapordizing future access and......oh wait, this has already been addressed, my bad.

In reply to:
If we're really all about protecting the feelings, and respecting other's "'Ethics". then we should never set foot anywhere near Devil's Tower, let alone climb it. After all, it's against the ethics of the guys who were there first. But we not only go there, we climb it! Why? Because there's no good reason not to. Aside from a bunch of dogmatic indians who think the great spirit lives there, or whatever it is that makes them think it's such a holy place.

But it could be argued that we shouldn't be around there, cause they liked it how it was before we got there, and therefore, we should let that beautiful landmark go to waste... Sorry, I ain't subscribing, although I'll make an effort not to plan any trips there in June.

And what does this statement have to do with this thread? Explain if you wish.

You never answered ANY of my questions from my last post. Spit em out, "devils advocate". At this point I'm convinced your less trying to play the "devils advocate" and more trying to piss everyone off. Good job, if that's your goal.

Hey angry, I'm all about helping you cock punch him. Yes, you have graduated from a punch in the face to a cock punch, much worse IMO. Donations for this service can be sent directly to angry, by way of PMing him to get his pay pal account address. :D

jt512

Aug 4, 2006, 6:26 AM
Post #158 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Well you mentioned that the the beautiful splitter was in an entirely sport crag... What reason can you provide for not bolting it? If it's a sport crag, it's not going to be used by trad climbers anyway.

I would go back to the try to leave as little mark of your passage as possible argument. Reasons for this argument are that only by leaving as little trace as possible can we preserve our world as long as possible and not f--- it up. ... You just keep squirming around from one "counter argument" to the next, hoping somehow to serve the community or something, never once addressing the LNT argument in any way.

The LNT argument does not apply to a single crack climb at a sport crag. Say the crag has 200 8-bolt routes. 1600 bolts have been placed at the crag. That's one hell of a "trace," and adding 8 more bolts to protect the crack isn't going to make an iota of difference wrt to the "trace" that climbers have left there. There might be valid reasons not to bolt the only crack at a sport crag, but LNT isn't one of them.

Jay

healyje

Aug 4, 2006, 8:14 AM
Post #159 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
[
In reply to:
I was under the impression that the one month closure was acceptable to the local Native Americans.

Well, perhaps they like it better than nothing, but you gotta take what you can get. I doubt that if they had their way that that's how it would be. Also, it's a completely voluntary closure. I don't think the Tribes had any kind of counsel about it.

Well, I see nothing further of note has occured other than Jay saying he threw out a dubious strawman; and for the record, if it can't take a fall on gear it's too unstable for your average sport climber to be on it. They shouldn't be encouraged to climb such a structure and bolting a line up it is all the more stupid by that argument.

But I do feel I have to respond to the iceman comments above...

So iceman, once again the essential truth emerges that you just like hearing yourself talk out your ass with no idea whatsoever what you're talking about - in this case Native Americans. Your comments on them in general and the DT voluntary closure in particular are even more clueless and warped than your attempts to comment on bolting. Guess who proposed the DT voluntary closure?

In reply to:
...the NPS actually recommended a mandatory june closing, but the TRIBAL ELDERS rejected the plan...the TRIBAL ELDERS suggested the VOLUNTARY closing and asked, instead, that the NPS support education efforts to inform climbers about sioux culture...the TRIBAL ELDERS felt that if people understood their reverence for the tower, then people would be more likely to respect the native's wish that people not climb for one month out of the year.

edl

Aug 4, 2006, 9:38 AM
Post #160 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The LNT argument does not apply to a single crack climb at a sport crag. Say the crag has 200 8-bolt routes. 1600 bolts have been placed at the crag. That's one hell of a "trace," and adding 8 more bolts to protect the crack isn't going to make an iota of difference wrt to the "trace" that climbers have left there. There might be valid reasons not to bolt the only crack at a sport crag, but LNT isn't one of them.

I would disagree with you here. As discussed earlier, you can always come closer to leaving no trace, but you can never actually leave no trace. Nonetheless, a key concept here is leaving as little trace as possible. Not bolting the crack works in this direction , and therefore is logically fluid. *I would like to note here that I am not attacking your bolting of that flake.* The only reason I can see for bolting a crack in such a circumstance is out of lazyness, not wanting people to have to bring up their trad rack. Convenience, as you say, which is weak. Your other argument is weak too; that we shouldn't try to minimize our impact where our impact is already very present. In Vedauwoo, there are forest service roads all over the place. Rednecks often go up there and create new roads for their own pleasure, justiifying it with the rationale that one more road can't hurt, and what the hell, it will be fun. Then more rednecks go up there and do the same thing. Pretty soon there are roads fucking EVERYWHERE (the forest service actually prevents this from happening). See where this is going? Sure, an extra road here or there doesn't hurt anything, but at what point do you draw the line?

Lets examine what the forest service does. The service roads are there for various purposes, to access the forest for fire controll and what not. As an additional effect, people camp and recreate down these roads. The roads they cut off are the ones that serve no purpose to the forest service, and they do cut off their own roads when they stop serving a purpose, or when the land begins to be abused because of their existence. So lets review this. The only roads they leave are the ones that serve a necessary purpose. Now lets apply this to bolting. The only bolts we should have/leave are the ones that serve a necessary purpose, and bolts next to splitter cracks and by this rationale even protectable features, should not exist. Thats where we draw the line. Why? Minimizing impact as much as possible, which makes sense from a conservationist standpoint. The line you draw is arbitrary. The only justification being that there are bolts everywhere else, why not here. This is a slippery slope. A difinitive line needs to be drawn.

Applying this reasoning to your above scenario the 200 bolts on the bolted lines at this crag are necessary bolts because no natural protection is available, but the bolts on the crack are unneccesary and either shouldn't be there or should be removed. I know of a crag, no an AREA, that closely fits the description of your hypothetical area in fact. It's called City of Rocks, Idaho. The place has entirely bolted lines, splitter cracks, and mixed lines. And were not talking slabs here, we are talking about your traditional sport climbs. Though this was considered a trad are, most people go there to sport climb these days. So should we go bolt all the cracks there? Based on your rationale, we should. There are even crags there predominantly occupied by sport climbs, but the cracks on them are not bolted. Whats wonderful about this area is that it shines for both sport climbers and trad climbers alike. Why can't we have that at every crag that it's possible to have this at? To argue the contrary is the equivalent of saying there should be no bolted lines at trad areas because they are trad areas. It doesn't make any sense. IMO sport climbs should be bolted, cracks should be led on gear, and as a comprimise, incipient cracks should be bolted where otherwise unprotectable if they are at a predominantly sport crag, and left as g, pg, r, or x if they are at a predominantly trad area. Make sense? A line should be defined by it's actual character, not the nature of the routes around it, except in the case of incipient lines which I discussed above. Sound fair? Pretty in line with the practical application of the LNT doctrine as it applies to climbing, I think. I guess I just like to talk sometimes. Thoughts?

zeke_sf

Aug 4, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #161 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there's plenty of places to go and TR single-pitch cracks. if you want to bone up on the skills, do a lot of that. otherwise, learning trad is the way to go. of course, I still believe pure sport climbing locales and questionable rock are places where some digression from "leave no trace" will/should occur. bolts are overrated as an eyesore. the only people who ever really notice them are climbers. I don't know how many times I've had to point out bolts to non-climbers to know this statement is true. chalk, for instance, attracts much more attention in my experience.

dingus

Aug 4, 2006, 4:19 PM
Post #162 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
*I would like to note here that I am not attacking your bolting of that flake.* The only reason I can see for bolting a crack in such a circumstance is out of lazyness, not wanting people to have to bring up their trad rack. Convenience, as you say, which is weak. Your other argument is weak too;

LOL, no attacking THERE!

In reply to:
Thoughts?

LNT as an overriding principle flowered in the 70's, got old in the 80's and died in the 90's. Most climbers will sacrifice LNT to convenience. Now WHAT exactly we are willing to sacrifice varies from person to person and situation to situation. I rebel against folks who insist that LNT is an absolute rule etched into the very stone we climb.

You can't bolt that crack, it violates LNT.

I never signed the LNT International Treaty. I just don't like the religious overtones and often expect to see Druids and Wiccans chanting LNT principles as they circle around Stonehenge (the climbing gym in Modesto, not the old rocks in UK).

I make a huge distinction between wilderness areas where a leave little trace style is best employed, vs. frequently used crags where trails and other traces are necessary to prevent use erosion.

Lastly, if there is room for a wilderness wall sans bolts in this country then there is also room for consumer oriented cragsters. I do both. I'm not going to stop either, unless this old body of mine requires it.

Respecting local styles and ethics, to my way of thinking, is far more important for our climbing tribe than the false god LNT. LNT is the god that enbles folks 3000 miles away to threaten to chop a bolt they will most likely never see in their lifetimes. They are sadly misguided by macho bullshit, LNT blinders and the Slippery Slope Prophets of Doom.

Respect local styles, or stay the hell out.

DMT

caughtinside

Aug 4, 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #163 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Respecting local styles and ethics, to my way of thinking, is far more important for our climbing tribe than the false god LNT. LNT is the god that enbles folks 3000 miles away to threaten to chop a bolt they will most likely never see in their lifetimes. They are sadly misguided by macho s---, LNT blinders and the Slippery Slope Prophets of Doom.

Good stuff, toast.

jt512

Aug 4, 2006, 5:35 PM
Post #164 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
[
In reply to:
I was under the impression that the one month closure was acceptable to the local Native Americans.

Well, perhaps they like it better than nothing, but you gotta take what you can get. I doubt that if they had their way that that's how it would be. Also, it's a completely voluntary closure. I don't think the Tribes had any kind of counsel about it.

Well, I see nothing further of note has occured other than Jay saying he threw out a dubious strawman...

...which as usual you don't state, because, we can only assume, you cannot make a cogent argument.

In reply to:
...and for the record, if it can't take a fall on gear it's too unstable for your average sport climber to be on it. They shouldn't be encouraged to climb such a structure and bolting a line up it is all the more stupid by that argument.

And here I thought you were an experienced trad climber. A fall onto a cam places more outward force on a flake that Chris Sharma could on steriods. Joshua Tree is full of flakes that are too fragile to be protected by cams but have survived conga lines of n00bs.

-Jay

jt512

Aug 4, 2006, 5:54 PM
Post #165 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I would disagree with you here. As discussed earlier, you can always come closer to leaving no trace, but you can never actually leave no trace. Nonetheless, a key concept here is leaving as little trace as possible.

It's only a "key concept" because it is a key tenet in your religion. It is clearly irrational to believe that adding 8 convenience bolts to an area with 1600 "necessary" bolts would have any import.

In reply to:
Not bolting the crack works in this direction , and therefore is logically fluid.

I agree. The argument is valid. However, being based on an incorrect assumption, it is unsound. Sport climbing inherently violates the "Leave No Trace" principle. But that's really beside the point. The fact is that the incremental impact of adding a few more bolts to an area covered with 1600 of them is negligible.

In reply to:
*I would like to note here that I am not attacking your bolting of that flake.* The only reason I can see for bolting a crack in such a circumstance is out of lazyness, not wanting people to have to bring up their trad rack.

Try reading the whole thread then. The reason for bolting the flake has been explained.

In reply to:
The only bolts we should have/leave are the ones that serve a necessary purpose, and bolts next to splitter cracks and by this rationale even protectable features, should not exist. Thats where we draw the line. Why? Minimizing impact as much as possible, which makes sense from a conservationist standpoint. The line you draw is arbitrary. The only justification being that there are bolts everywhere else, why not here.

Both lines are arbitrary. The difference is that yours is hypocritcal, whereas mine is not. NO BOLT IS EVER NECESSARY. You believe in LNT? Don't bolt. Period.

In reply to:
Applying this reasoning to your above scenario the 200 bolts on the bolted lines at this crag are necessary bolts because no natural protection is available, but the bolts on the crack are unneccesary and either shouldn't be there or should be removed.

You can apply your reasoning until your fingers a crippled with arthritis. You'll continue to come to the same flawed conclusions, because of the underlying hypocrisy of your pseudo-LNT philosophy: You can bolt a rock if it lets you climb an essentially unprotectable route. It places climbing above the environment. You can leave a "trace" when it suits your selfish purposes.

In reply to:
I know of a crag, no an AREA, that closely fits the description of your hypothetical area in fact. It's called City of Rocks, Idaho. The place has entirely bolted lines, splitter cracks, and mixed lines.

That doesn't even approximately fit my hypothetical case, and if you think that it does, then you are too ignorant of sport climbing to be able to intelligently discuss this issue. I am not talking about an area that has many trad and sport routes. I am talking about an area comprised entirely of sport climbs (hundreds) except for maybe one or two cracks. I can give you examples of crags that meet that definition exactly.

Jay

healyje

Aug 4, 2006, 6:16 PM
Post #166 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
LNT as an overriding principle flowered in the 70's, got old in the 80's and died in the 90's. Most climbers will sacrifice LNT to convenience. Now WHAT exactly we are willing to sacrifice varies from person to person and situation to situation. I rebel against folks who insist that LNT is an absolute rule etched into the very stone we climb.

The sacrifice has been obvious since sport climbing began in the 80's - the steady march of both bolts, crowds and access problems has been unstoppable ever since. The issue is that a risk-averse suburbanites need someone else doing that "community service development" and providing new sport routes at a pace slightly slower than they change at their local gym. That has driven a fairly relentless pace of bolting rock across the country that shows no sign whatsoever of abating. As far as rebelling, well you love stirring the pot and I suspect you have no shortage of crags you'd not like to see grid bolted to supply the masses with fresh meat.

In reply to:
I make a huge distinction between wilderness areas where a leave little trace style is best employed, vs. frequently used crags where trails and other traces are necessary to prevent use erosion.

Oh, so you do have ethics... (I know, I know, they occasionally embarass you, but it's alright to show your fem side now and then)...

In reply to:
Lastly, if there is room for a wilderness wall sans bolts in this country then there is also room for consumer oriented cragsters. I do both. I'm not going to stop either, unless this old body of mine requires it.

Given the propensity for things like Ignorant Bliss it's clear there is and likely will be a constant pressure of nimrods with drills ready to be the heroic champion of the everyman on stone pretty much everywhere...

In reply to:
Respecting local styles and ethics, to my way of thinking, is far more important for our climbing tribe than the false god LNT. LNT is the god that enbles folks 3000 miles away to threaten to chop a bolt they will most likely never see in their lifetimes. They are sadly misguided by macho s---, LNT blinders and the Slippery Slope Prophets of Doom.

Lately that would mean respecting bolters as they move crag to crag doing their business. What is actually happening is a new "ethics" where any clown's bolt once placed become somehow "sacrosanct". The upshot of Ken Nichol's ill-advised and over the top activity has been a swing too far in the other direction where bolts are now protected, not the rock. When "locals" totally screw the pooch at a crag they should expect flack from anyone who happens along regardless of where they are from.

edl

Aug 4, 2006, 6:16 PM
Post #167 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
LOL, no attacking THERE!

No attacking, because his flake fits into what I personally think would be acceptable bolting practices, considering at least that he didn't slam a bolt into the wall every meter. :roll:

In reply to:

DMT

Interesting, and thanks for sharing. What you say here is that we as humans just aren't going to get along, so we shouldn't really try. We should all stay in our own isolated little groups of like thinkers and never push ourselves beyond our comfort zone in regards to how we view the world. I disagree with you here. Maybe I'm just too idealistic. I really think we will have to agree to disagree. You can throw whatever nasty little names you want at the LNT doctrine, it won't change the logic. When places like City Of Rocks exist as a statement that sport climbers and tradsters can get along in the same area under the same set of rules, all these pro bolt the world, or at least parts of the world, arguments just fall apart IMO. Also, I would like to leave you with some final thoughts: Everyone abiding by their own little set of rules works great when they stay separate from eachother, but that doesn't ever work in practice. These people intermix and as a result ethics clash. Were not talking about world destruction here, just some rocks. Nonetheless, when these ethical confrntations happen, whos right? How do you decide? Is it who has the largest group of supporters, no matter how flawed their own logic is? There were more white people than black people in america in the days of slavery, but thank god that vile practice still got abolished because people were willing to listen and change their minds. Sure things like the LNT doctrine fluctuate in and out of popular opinion, but that in and of itself doesn't make it right when it's popular, and wrong when it's unpopular.

healyje

Aug 4, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #168 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
...and for the record, if it can't take a fall on gear it's too unstable for your average sport climber to be on it. They shouldn't be encouraged to climb such a structure and bolting a line up it is all the more stupid by that argument.

And here I thought you were an experienced trad climber. A fall onto a cam places more outward force on a flake that Chris Sharma could on steriods. Joshua Tree is full of flakes that are too fragile to be protected by cams but have survived conga lines of n00bs.

-Jay

I am, and know exactly how much force is applied and, again, by your description if it's that unstable then it's clearly too unstable for the masses to be on. What you're really saying is a few of you that actually know your way around rock want to climb it and so you bolted it.

dingus

Aug 4, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #169 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What you say here is that we as humans just aren't going to get along, so we shouldn't really try.

I am saying is most climbers do not subscribe to your views of LNT.

DMT

jt512

Aug 4, 2006, 7:23 PM
Post #170 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What you're really saying is a few of you that actually know your way around rock want to climb it and so you bolted it.

Not really. It's 5.10a, a couple number grades too low to be of much interest to us, even as a warm-up. I already explained why the decision to bolt it was made.

Jay

the_iceman

Aug 4, 2006, 7:27 PM
Post #171 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For starters, I personally would go and climb it, especially if it was a beautiful hard splitter in granite, as these are rare. I would go back to the try to leave as little mark of your passage as possible argument. Reasons for this argument are that only by leaving as little trace as possible can we preserve our world as long as possible and not f--- it up. Now provide for me an argument against this reasoning, if you can come up with one. So far none of you "devils advocates" have been able to do this. You just keep squirming around from one "counter argument" to the next, hoping somehow to serve the community or something, never once addressing the LNT argument in any way.

I'm not buying it. And who gives a fuck if you go climb it personally! "Oh, well there's 1 or 2 trad climbers who might happen across this all sport crag. Guess we'd better leave it alone in case they stop by..." As I've been trying to beat into thick skull after thick skull, the bolts don't hurt the rock!!! "but, but, but, I might have to look at a bolt on the rock!". Yup, get over it! As I said before, there's lots of man-made stuff you're going to have to look at, you're going to have to look at your rope too! And unless you're using vines, it's unnatural too!

In reply to:
In reply to:
Please provide me with a reason other than convenience that you use cams instead of machine nuts with a piece of cordalette threaded through?

None necessary. We are not the ones putting holes in the rock effecting the rock for lifetimes to come. We use cams because they are better and safer than slung machine nuts. This is not the issue though. We are talking about when it is and is not appropriate to sink holes in the rock, not what type of clean protection is best.

Of course not. But that added measure of safety? Hmmm... I guess you're not that hard-core bad ass you thought. Guess what, bolts are even safer! If you're so into putting it all out there, and doing it the "traditional" way, maybe you should go back to the machine nuts... Just a thought.

In reply to:
Makes climbs more accessible? So would building a road to the base. So would chipping the route so anyone could do it. So would building an elevator up the side of the cliff, then ANYONE could "do the route". See where your line of reasoning leads us? See whats wrong with it? f--- I hope so. But I suppose you will now argue that non-chippers are elitist. BTW, the presence of bolts ups our impact on the rock, thereby jeopardizing future access and......oh wait, this has already been addressed, my bad.

This whole paragraph has already been addressed. But I'll spell it back out for you. Bolts don't change how the route can be climbed. It doesn't knock down the rating of the route, it doesn't destroy acres of foliage, none of that. Just puts a bolt in the rock, so that climbers can focus on the climb itself, rather than worrying about their protection. And as I said before, bolting should always be done with the proper permission, from proper authorities. I don't condone illicit bolting.

In reply to:
In reply to:
But it could be argued that we shouldn't be around there, cause they liked it how it was before we got there, and therefore, we should let that beautiful landmark go to waste... Sorry, I ain't subscribing, although I'll make an effort not to plan any trips there in June.

And what does this statement have to do with this thread? Explain if you wish.

Well, if you're going to insist that routes/areas/crags, should be left exactly the way they were when the first guy came along... We shouldn't be climbing Devil's Tower because it was regarded as sacred by the first guys who found it. Kinda like a few trad zealots I can think of...
In reply to:
You never answered ANY of my questions from my last post. Spit em out, "devils advocate". At this point I'm convinced your less trying to play the "devils advocate" and more trying to piss everyone off. Good job, if that's your goal.
Please, what were those questions? For the record, "Playing Devil's Advocate" means taking the less popular side. Generally this tends to piss off a few self-righteous pricks, but it's just part of the gig.
In reply to:
Hey angry, I'm all about helping you c--- punch him. Yes, you have graduated from a punch in the face to a c--- punch, much worse IMO. Donations for this service can be sent directly to angry, by way of PMing him to get his pay pal account address. :D

Cool, I'll send mine right away, I'm PMing him now! I'll give you guys my address as well. Weaker minds always tend to go the physical violence route when they're bested intellectually. This is as good as admitting defeat! I'll buy you a beer...

In reply to:
There were were more white people than black people in america in the days of slavery, but thank god that vile practice still got abolished because people were willing to listen and change their minds.

I actually laughed out loud at that. The reason slavery was abolished was that there was this little war, see, between The North and The South... Crazy thing, it was white people who freed the slaves, cause there were more white people who were against slavery than there were for it. Your logic is so completely flawed and off base it's almost sad.

In reply to:
'You're wrong about Devils Tower'

I stand corrected about the Devils Tower voluntary closure, but I still think they'd rather have the area closed off completely if they could. This compromise came after years, and years. Cause over time, they've gradually come to accept the change.

100+ years ago, they wouldn't have approached the US government and said: "Alright, this is our holy spot. But obviously you guys are gonna come check it out, build a ladder up it, etc. So we propose a voluntary closure during the month of June..."

In reply to:
Lets examine what the forest service does. The service roads are there for various purposes, to access the forest for fire control and what not. As an additional effect, people camp and recreate down these roads. The roads they cut off are the ones that serve no purpose to the forest service, and they do cut off their own roads when they stop serving a purpose, or when the land begins to be abused because of their existence. So lets review this. The only roads they leave are the ones that serve a necessary purpose.

Bolts are almost ALWAYS removed when they become unsafe, or unnecessary. Kinda like your Forestry Service does with the roads. With bolt removal, we take it a step further by fixing any damage the bolt may have caused... Unlike just gating off a road. And as I've said before, Bolting should only be done with the proper permission. Kinda like how those roads are approved.

edl

Aug 4, 2006, 7:35 PM
Post #172 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I agree. The argument is valid. However, being based on an incorrect assumption, it is unsound. Sport climbing inherently violates the "Leave No Trace" principle. But that's really beside the point. The fact is that the incremental impact of adding a few more bolts to an area covered with 1600 of them is negligible.

I would agree, after you add that many bolts to an area, adding eight more doesn't really effect things that much more. The problem comes in applying that logic to other areas and other situations. If we just keep trashing things, they just keep getting trashed. That seems ok to you. whatever. At some point you draw the line. You have yours and I have mine. We both seem to think ours is best. I don't think either of us will convince the other they are wrong. You say my logical flaw lies in the fact that I think sport climbing is ok, but I practice a LNT doctrine. NEWS FLASH: I don't sport climb. I have done it when my partners wanted, and avoided it otherwise. I may pick it up some day, but that's not going to be tomorrow. LNT is asymptotic, as has already been discussed. I draw my line where I think it is practical to do so, not where my gut instinct tells me to. You seem to draw your line based on convenience, and Dingus based on local ethics (which is another version of where it's practical to draw the line).

In reply to:
Try reading the whole thread then. The reason for bolting the flake has been explained.

And I agree with your reasons. I put that statement in *'s to differentiate it as a side note. If it helps, copy and paste that paragraph somewhere and delete the part with *'s around it. I wasn't attacking you.

In reply to:
You can apply your reasoning until your fingers a crippled with arthritis. You'll continue to come to the same flawed conclusions, because of the underlying hypocrisy of your pseudo-LNT philosophy: You can bolt a rock if it lets you climb an essentially unprotectable route. It places climbing above the environment. You can leave a "trace" when it suits your selfish purposes.

In reply to:
Pretty in line with the practical application of the LNT doctrine as it applies to climbing, I think.

Emphasis added to prove my point. See above points for further erudition on the subject. Both extremes are wrong (no bolts/everything bolted). The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Our individual versions of where in the middle it should be seem to be what were arguing over. Just for the record, I have never touched a drill bit to stone, and I have put up routes. And really, at this point this debate has become masturbational. I've said what I wanted to say. I think you guys have too. Thank you for addressing my points so we could have this discussion. Feel free to call me a mindless follower of dogmatic beiliefs, I don't really care. I just wanted to get my viewpoints out there so people could make their own decision.

dbrayack

Aug 4, 2006, 7:38 PM
Post #173 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You bolt it, I'll clip it

:twisted: -Danno

edl

Aug 4, 2006, 7:43 PM
Post #174 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know, I know, I said I was done.

In reply to:
I actually laughed out loud at that. The reason slavery was abolished was that there was this little war, see, between The North and The South... Crazy thing, it was white people who freed the slaves, cause there were more white people who were against slavery than there were for it. Your logic is so completely flawed and off base it's almost sad.

I was trying to point out that popular opinion is not always right and subject to change. When it changes, hopefully it is because people decide through some sort of logical argument that the other way of thinking is right. Maybe it wasn't the best example. BTW, the civil war was fought over other reasons, the abolishment of slavery was a more minor one and more or less a side effect, at least that's what some history major freinds told me. Anyway, as I said, I'm done. Declare victory if you wish. I haven't surrendered my points, I'm just sick of arguing. I'm obviously not going to convince you guys of anything, and vice versa. Bye.

bobd1953

Aug 4, 2006, 7:44 PM
Post #175 of 252 (16073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If it's really about the rock, you can lay your fears to rest. Bolting a rock doesn't destroy it. I love how people try and push this off as being a conservation issue.

Eighty per-cent of China rivers don't support fish life, the Middle East is about to implode, aids/civil unrest is killing half of Africa, the US is turning into a third world country and Joe and John are worried about some bolts on some stupid ass crack.

Climbers... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook