RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

porkchop_express

Aug 26, 2006, 5:29 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1967 views)
Shortcut

A Noob speaks out...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i just started bouldering, and so far i havent had a partner who is experienced. Problem number one. Basically i always feel like I'm doing it the wrong way because either the problems i climb are too easy or impossible. I guess i am just trying to figure out how you determine the route of a problem. I have been climbing in isolated areas where there a big boulders but no one climbs there because its out of the way so its not like i can read up on how and what others have done there. I understand that its not just about going up, so its not like the straightest and shortest distance to the top. Ive done that a few times and since I'm about 6'3 those climbs are very brief...

I realize that this is about asp Noob-ish as one can get, I'd rather know what the hell I'm doing so as not to be doing things the wrong way.

talnlnky

Aug 26, 2006, 8:05 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1967 views)
Shortcut

Re: A Noob speaks out... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my advice would be to go someplace and watch people boulder, if that means going to a gym and sitting then do it. Last time i checked you didn't have to pay to watch. anyways, you'll realize that people who boulder often times will make up their own Problems or Routes, ones that are previously unmarked. There's no reason you can't do this either when you're by yourself.

When i do this I often try to creat a move in which i have to...
1) Move far
2) use my core or finger strenght in order to stay on while i reach for the next hold.

this past week i've made a huge improvement in my bouldering abilities, and i've really been able to apply some of the movements/techniques that i've been watching people do the past few months.

Critically watching how people climb helps alot.... especially if you can record it and view it at a later time.

rico511

Aug 29, 2006, 1:57 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It doesn't matter how everybody else climbs the boulder, thats the great thing about bouldering you can just find any little choss pile in the woods and climb the way you want to climb it. I suggest that you just start on one part of the boulder and climb to the top and keep moving your way around. Eventually the problem will show themselves to you. Just keep at it and those impossible problems will go.

cam

Aug 29, 2006, 2:07 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering is about as unrestricted and rule-less as climbing can get. Typically, a problem will follow the most direct path to the finish. That being said, you are free to use pretty much any hold you can reach, or can throw yourself to. At this point in the game, I'd not bother with worrying about doing the problem correctly but focus more on building proper technique. Learn how to utilize body position, opposition and friction to your best advantage. Find some other like minded people to boulder with and you will improve faster, have more fun and be able to climb with minimal injury because you will have the advantage of other peoples knowledge. You're not the first "beginner". Others have gone through that before you. Take advantage of their knowledge.

Oh, and have fun!

lucrativ

Aug 29, 2006, 3:18 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It doesn't matter how everybody else climbs the boulder, thats the great thing about bouldering you can just find any little choss pile in the woods and climb the way you want to climb it. I suggest that you just start on one part of the boulder and climb to the top and keep moving your way around. Eventually the problem will show themselves to you. Just keep at it and those impossible problems will go.
Good answer . My whole career I boulderred alone . Or I boulderred with 2pac I guess . I figured out the (new) areas , the lines and everything by myself .

dingus

Aug 29, 2006, 3:34 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think a most excellent way to continue your learning would be to study this man:

http://www.johngill.net

and to purchase a copy of his autobiography written by Pat Ament

http://www.amazon.com/...5307?ie=UTF8&s=books

And also buy John Sherman's

And Stone Crusade

Learn about your tribe!

DMT

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username: