RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

sandlixard

Aug 27, 2006, 6:03 PM
Post #1 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

why do push-ups?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've noticed many people at my local gym doing push-ups on paralletes for training. I am wondering why people think it is such a good exercise for climbing. What type of movement in climbing are you ever going to be pushing away from something like this?

lazide

Aug 27, 2006, 6:09 PM
Post #2 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Re: why do push-ups? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If I don't do them, I get 'climbers elbow' (i.e. aches in the outside of the elbow) when I've been pulling harder than normal for awhile.

Also helps with mantels and OW

campustrampus

Aug 27, 2006, 6:17 PM
Post #3 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When building a certain muscle group in your body it is usually a good idea to build the antagonist muscles as well. If you don't you could end up with tendon problems or somethin'.

sandlixard

Aug 27, 2006, 6:24 PM
Post #4 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When building a certain muscle group in your body it is usually a good idea to build the antagonist muscles as well. If you don't you could end up with tendon problems or somethin'

Good Point. I never thought about that.

anykineclimb

Aug 27, 2006, 7:32 PM
Post #5 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pushups aren't just about using your chest. you're using your core to keep your body straight, you calves are helping your feet and your arms are involved too.

if you really want to get crazy, try some planche pushups on the parralettes.

Partner ewtotel

Aug 27, 2006, 7:59 PM
Post #6 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Time to show off my ignorance, but what are "paralletes?" I've googled and tried wikipedia, but still can't figure it out...

Thanks...

dynoho

Aug 27, 2006, 8:32 PM
Post #7 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think they are the push-up bars that allow you to descend beyond your hand placement. If I'm correct, they would allow for a greater range of motion than the typical hands on the floor. I had to look this up myself.

All other comments about opposing muscle groups and tendon strain/muscle pulls would be accurate.

Partner ewtotel

Aug 27, 2006, 8:34 PM
Post #8 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok ... thanks. I was guessing something along those lines...

Partner tim

Aug 27, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #9 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

parallettes:

http://www.unitedathletic.com/images/Parallettes.jpg

Try some pushups on them with your feet elevated and your body held rigidly straight (eg. proper pushup form). If you can, try doing them out of a handstand. The latter is the exact opposite of a pullup.

Dips (and to a lesser extent pushups) are excellent for developing the muscles used for manteling, something which a lot of people seem to suck at these days. (hmmm, wonder why... kind of like chimneying) As previously mentioned, anything that prevents gross muscle imbalances tends to be a good thing for preventing tendinosis, as well.

jaybro

Aug 27, 2006, 9:55 PM
Post #10 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sometimes they help it go away.

sandlixard

Aug 28, 2006, 1:32 AM
Post #11 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I wish. maybe tuck planche pushups for now. i'd like to get to be able to do a full-range handstand push-up also. gymnastics seem to be a very good compliment to climbing.

anykineclimb

Aug 28, 2006, 2:19 AM
Post #12 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I wish. maybe tuck planche pushups for now. i'd like to get to be able to do a full-range handstand push-up also. gymnastics seem to be a very good compliment to climbing.

Thats about all I can do is a tuck planche; but working on it!!

sandlixard

Aug 28, 2006, 3:18 PM
Post #13 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

before i left for college a few weeks ago i had started to do planche leans on the rings we had at our house (my dad used to do gymnastics). I can get to about a 45 degree angle. I think that is the best exercise to work up to a planche. also iron cross holds at as far out on your arms as possible are an excellent workout.

harihari

Sep 2, 2006, 8:36 PM
Post #14 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ALso very important-- military press. This is where you hold a free weight beside your head, palms forward (ie same position as climbing) and then you extend your arm so you hold it up as high as you can. Basically this is the standard climbing move in reverse.

VERY importnat to build opposition muscles in all groups. Situps (with unanchored feet) and leg-lifts are also crucial. Even btter-- leg lifts while hanging from a hangboard or bar.

mr_shenanigans

Sep 3, 2006, 7:34 PM
Post #15 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think the reason for doing push-up is that while you climb your bicepts, tricepts and back(lats and traps, plus some others) get a major workout, in order to get stronger faster you must balance out your body, and your muscle groups, you cant overdevelope one muscle group and leave the other weak, you'll look weird and it causes many injurys. So you need to workout your chest and abs, the easiest way to do that is push-ups.

brianmccully

Sep 3, 2006, 7:46 PM
Post #16 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What gym do u climb at in Florida??
By no means do I think your question is dumb, I have studied anatomy so I actually find your question interesting and complex.

But I will spend the rest of the day laughing that the question was asked by soemone from a florida gym.

PS:
I do push ups in a gym in Fl.

Partner ewtotel

Sep 3, 2006, 7:52 PM
Post #17 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What type of movement in climbing are you ever going to be pushing away from something like this?

After much thought, it finally hit me:

We do push ups because they strengthen the exact muscles we need to use when getting up off the ground after hitting the deck... :wink:

sandlixard

Sep 4, 2006, 3:53 AM
Post #18 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to UF now so I climb at the gainesville rock gym. You?

suprdude22

Sep 9, 2006, 5:24 AM
Post #19 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to let you know, b/c I am probably one of those people you have seen do push ups at GRG, routes outside don't end on a Jug and then you drop down. See all we do is climb to a spot and drop down, so when Florida climbers make it outside we fly up to the point right before the topout and then sketch around on the top out, make people think we are going to fall, and then somehow manage to do something that looks like a beached whale trying to kicking one leg. Basically, the push ups are to avoid doing that, or falling off of v7 problem w/ a v3 topout.

socalbolter

Sep 9, 2006, 2:50 PM
Post #20 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another way to make push-ups a little more specific to training for climbing is to do them (with whatever hand positioning and with whatever supplemental devices you want) with your feet elevated on top of an exercise ball.

The constant minute adjustments made with the core muscles to steady your frame will help to condition and strengthen those all-important components of climbing musculature and fitness.

To start with lay feet over the top of the ball in a wide stance. This offers the most stable positioning. Once you're used to this, bring the feet closer together and balance on your toes to increase the involvement of your core muscles by decreasing the stability of your foot positioning.

Also (as with climbing sometimes) the bigger the balls the better!

sandlixard

Sep 9, 2006, 3:36 PM
Post #21 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Another way to make push-ups a little more specific to training for climbing is to do them (with whatever hand positioning and with whatever supplemental devices you want) with your feet elevated on top of an exercise ball.

The constant minute adjustments made with the core muscles to steady your frame will help to condition and strengthen those all-important components of climbing musculature and fitness.

To start with lay feet over the top of the ball in a wide stance. This offers the most stable positioning. Once you're used to this, bring the feet closer together and balance on your toes to increase the involvement of your core muscles by decreasing the stability of your foot positioning.

Now that I do agree with. However push-ups i'm still sceptical of. It seems like dips would be better training for mantling or topping out.

Partner angry

Sep 9, 2006, 5:17 PM
Post #22 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

When I was a trainer, I had way too much fun with my clients and an exercise ball.

Your push up idea is great. Here's some other fun stuff that works the minute stuff in the same ways.

-Push ups on the exercise ball, feet on a bench (or ground, sissy) and hands on the exercise ball. Killer!! I've heard rumors of feet on one ball and hands on the other. I'm skeptical.

-Lay on the ball facing up. Feet flat on the ground. Now do a chest press or fly with dumbells. Way the fuck harder than on a bench.

bcjay

Sep 10, 2006, 6:02 AM
Post #23 of 23 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to get crazy about combining climbing & gymnastics (or bodyweight exercises), check out John Gill's write-up on the subject:

http://www128.pair.com/r3d4k7/Climbing&Gymnastics1.0.html

Pretty fricking impressive stuff.

Jay

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook