RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

snowboardbum30

Aug 30, 2006, 2:31 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2633 views)
Shortcut

questions anchoring a highline
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

the place we want to set the line up is about 20 feet over water. there are cliffs about 60 feet apart. there are no trees on either cliff but there is a couple cracks. would i be able to build my anchor using like 2 cams and a hex then equalize them? i figure it should work but what are your thoughts?

trevzilla

Aug 30, 2006, 2:34 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Re: question setting up high line [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm just going to sit back and watch where this thread goes. . .

snowboardbum30

Aug 30, 2006, 2:36 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do you have any thoughts

gymslackerclimber

Aug 30, 2006, 7:09 PM
Post #4 of 11 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the place we want to set the line up is about 20 feet over water. there are cliffs about 60 feet apart. there are no trees on either cliff but there is a couple cracks. would i be able to build my anchor using like 2 cams and a hex then equalize them? i figure it should work but what are your thoughts?

totally bomber.. SEND!!!

trevzilla

Aug 30, 2006, 7:13 PM
Post #5 of 11 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have thoughts personally because I have never set up a highline using pro, and I don't know what the protocol on that is. I have however set up a line using bomber boulders, and trees. I was saying I was just going to watch this thread to see what others think about using pro, and how much you should use. 3 pieces on each side equalized? 4? 5 even?

Partner slacklinejoe

Aug 30, 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #6 of 11 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd consider 20 feet up over open water a highline, but instead a lowline I plan on getting wet on if I bail.

If your just wanting to practice rigging a highline I'd still suggest learning in person from someone before making it life critical.

Here are some items to consider:

On a 60 foot line, 20 feet off the deck, you'll be bowing it down to say 16 feet in the middle, add in your fall leash + bounce from falling + the furthest your body could fling - it's actually quite possible you'd end up in the water - or at least closer than I'd ever consider on dry ground.

If rigged extra tight you should have clearance, but it does increase the load on the anchors.

If this isn't a problem then just realize that getting your line wet will cause it to stretch like crazy if you splash down. Otherwise, you may need to rig an overhead safety instead of a leash on the main line.

Your post doesn't mention how experienced you are with rigging.

Even if you can get the angle adjusted right what may be good for a downward placement may be really weak for an outward pull.

Typically highlines are overrigged to the Nth degree. 3 1/2" bolts are typical so you'd be rigging to achieve an equal level of robustness. That could only be determined by the crack and in person.

cruxy

Aug 30, 2006, 8:19 PM
Post #7 of 11 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be sure to wear your bathing suit!

slackinghigh

Aug 30, 2006, 9:41 PM
Post #8 of 11 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cams work, but use as many as you have that fit well. Using gear instead of bolts I always back up to everything I can find. Even if it is a tree 50ft from your anchor. If your anchor fails you need something to save your life. If the water is deep enough I wouldn't wear a leash, but is there any possibility of hitting a rock? Catch the line!

These are not facts; these are my opinions which could be flawed.
Dylan

enjoimx

Aug 30, 2006, 9:54 PM
Post #9 of 11 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you plan on fallling into the water when you fall or using a leash? Be careful because I have setup lines only 8 feet above the water and falling the wrong way can hurt...20 feet could hurt ALOT. Yeah...i mean ALOT.

Cams are fine...if they blow the worst that will happen is, well i suppose if the cam hits you in the face your screwed.

Just dont drill bolts...you may anger people who dont see things your way.

veganboyjosh

Aug 30, 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #10 of 11 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good responses so far, i'd add to the "back the shit up out of the gear." posts with this:

this is actually not an entirely bad way of learning some things, with a few conditions.

if you're planning on ending up in the water after you fall, this is good. the height you gave is just high enough/low enough to cause some problems if you're planning on being leashed. you don't wanna fall into the water at a depth that's gonna make being tied to something over your head hard to swim/keep that head above the water.

also, i'd recommend somehow leashing the pieces of pro you put in. run a cord thru them or something, so if one pops, it's not flying at you as you fall. of course, if you had something you could anchor the cord to, it would prolly be better to just anchor the line to that as well.

like dylan said, better to use bomber pieces/features--trees/boulders--that are 50 feet back than dicey gear. you don't wanna fall, especially near the edges...

all that said, send soem pics. it sounds like a blast.

snowboardbum30

Aug 30, 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #11 of 11 (2633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not going to be leashed to my line. the water is deep all over, even right next to the cliff so i figure if i fall I'll just hit water, hopefully! ya and ill post some pics for all to see.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook