RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

sumchum

Aug 30, 2006, 1:44 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1330 views)
Shortcut

PA climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I really need to get in touch with PA climbers. I have tried the PA climbing association(that did not work). Can someone please e-mail me. I would love to find great bouldering spots, sport area's and so forth. I have been to Birdsboro(actually, very fun). Please fill me in.

lodi5onu

Aug 30, 2006, 3:29 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Re: PA climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

governor stable is one of the best places to boulder on the east coast, but i'm sure if you've contacted the pa climbers assoc. you know that you should be a member to climb there...access issues...i don't know where phoenixville, pa is but hanging out at a local gym is always a good way to meet other climbers...send me an e-mail if you're in south central pa looking to climb - peace

dbrayack

Aug 30, 2006, 3:38 PM
Post #3 of 11 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry, but I almost spit up all the water I had in my mouth when you said Governor's Stable is one of the best bouldering on the East Coast :).

Sorry....I mean...its ok...

Hey if you don't mind driving a little ways, Cooper's Rock State Forest in Morgantown is quite a good bouldering area, if you have any questions about the area, email me directly and I'll give you the skinny (dbrayack@gmail)

Where exactly in PA are you? (well regionally)

McConnells Mill is an OK bouldering area in Western PA. A bunch of stuff in South Eastern PA (http://www.climbpa.telerama.com/)

lodi5onu

Aug 30, 2006, 3:48 PM
Post #4 of 11 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry dbrayak guess we can't all sell our souls to the sport and move to fayetteville :wink:
what was i thinking? i should have simply noted that it is a wonderful concentration of unique diabase rock offering a rich amount of bouldering problems located conveniently close to the original post's home
my bad

dbrayack

Aug 30, 2006, 4:15 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yah, my bad sorry for dissing your home crag..... :)

dbrayack

Aug 30, 2006, 4:17 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I've heard, Hunter's is suppose to be quite good, though somewhat sketchy access.

-Danno

skurdeycat

Aug 30, 2006, 4:34 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the suggestion to go to PRG, barely 10 mins away from you. You'll find staff and climbers very helpful, and there's a great mix of regulars from the boulder-mutants to the perpetual topropers and everything in between.

As for real climbing, Birdsboro is your only local option. Haycock for bouldering is about an hour away. The bouldering stuff in the city is probably not worth travelling for. If you want an unusual sport climbing experience, check out the bolted routes under Henry Avenue bridge in Wissahickon Park.

Ralph Stover has 2 sport climbs, some trad and mostly Topropes, the climbing isn't great, its small and usually busy, but its about an hour away and stays sunny in the winter.

After that, there are sport climbs along the susquehanna, access to all is supposedly closed, but people regularily climb there, and there's Stoney Ridge, near Bowmanstown in the Poconos. New River Gorge is about 6 hours away, unfortunately thats probably your best option. Judging by the number of Philly locals down there any weekend, I'm not the only one who thinks that trip is well worth it.

For trad, which you didn't mention, Delaware Water Gap has a few great climbs, many more terrible climbs, and of course, the Gunks is 3 hours away, possibly the best moderate trad destination in the world, certainly the busiest. Lots of bouldering there too.

Welcome to P-ville

Skurdey

dbrayack

Aug 30, 2006, 5:16 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, i didn't realize you're that close to the gunks...now that place is WORLD CLASS climbing!

Go there for sure!

-Danno

bizarrodrinker

Aug 30, 2006, 8:06 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haycock is great for bouldering. Especially in the fall and winter. In the winter there are almost NO people. Totally awesome!

I am at PRG every now and again. My climibing partner just moved to Squamish (luck bastard) so I am always looking for folks to climb with.

late
Mike D

Partner cliffhanger9

Aug 31, 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #10 of 11 (1330 views)
Shortcut

cliffhanger9 moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cliffhanger9 moved this thread from General to US - East Coast.

stanfield

Aug 31, 2006, 2:20 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check the local Phila area yahoo climbing group...it is called govertical@yahoogroups.com

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook