RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

Partner tim

Sep 7, 2006, 12:54 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1732 views)
Shortcut

Mike Anderson's training routine
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

found this article (again) via a search... it's still one of the greatest practical expositions of training I've ever seen. Thank you Mike!

now some questions:

1) any further thoughts about Complex training, eg. HIT + campus?
2) any suggestions for avoiding exacerbation of medial epi on the campus board? So far, it doesn't seem to hurt, despite the fact that I used to have a nasty case of climber's elbow. You think that as long as I periodize, I can probably get away with it every so often, yes?

These questions aren't just for Mike, they're really directed towards anyone that does the Doug Hunter / Mike Anderson style of periodized, specific training as seen in the article. I've only just started to structure my training, but it does already seem to be paying off, so now I'm interested in how to stay uninjured, and continue improving.

(still amazed at how well written that article is)

collegekid

Sep 8, 2006, 1:27 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1732 views)
Shortcut

Re: Mike Anderson's training routine [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

From personal experience:

1. At least 2 days per week, do perhaps 3-4 sets of pushups and/or other pressing exercises (the more varied the better).
2. To avoid shoulder injuries (rotator cuff, etc) while doing hard campus workouts, do shoulder presses (or other workout that does shoulders )at least once per week, 2 or so sets.
3. To avoid wrist problems, do reverse wrist curls once a week, and other wrist exercises.
4. At the first sign of achey fingers, either take a week off from hard workouts, or increase rest period between workouts (if you don't want to take time off due to an upcoming road trip etc). Increasing the rest period may not reduce the aching, but it will stop it from getting worse; time off should stop the aching.
5. Make some attempt at cross training (doing yoga, stretching, etc)

I have tried to do all of these whenever i'm training hard--usually I don't get injured. when I get lazy and stop doing preventative training, or overtrain (i.e. ignoring my bodie's signs), I get muscle problems in my shoulders/back and pain in my fingers.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook