First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner wideguy

Sep 10, 2006, 4:10 PM
Post #1 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Help!! I need a wine!!
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK so a good friend of mine has been lending me her car the last couple weeks. Mine all died and she insisted I take hers. She won't let me pay her anything. I'm going to cut down a tree she wants removed as payment, but I want to get her a nice bottle of wine, as I know she and her husband have started going to tastings in the last 6 months. But I know NOTHING about wine beyond the names of the major styles. What's a nice, $30-$40 bottle that would make a decent gift? All they have told me is they like whites and reds. I nice sipping by the fire evening kinda wine.

Or two $20 if you all think that would be better.

maculated

Sep 10, 2006, 4:35 PM
Post #2 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Re: Help!! I need a wine!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You know, frankly, folks going to tastings for six months are not likely true aficianados. Honestly, you'd be safe going to the store and buying wine in your price range (so long as it's not merlot) and they would probably be happy.

That said, I like me my central coast wines. Claiborne and Churchill or Peachy Canyon are the finest.

curt

Sep 10, 2006, 4:50 PM
Post #3 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some of the very best wines made in America are Merlot. Two of my favorites are Matanzas Creek and Cakebread. I think those can be found for around $40-$50. A good Chardonnay recommendation is Grgich Hills.

In reality, as mac said, there are many, many good wines that would fit the bill.

Curt

thegreytradster

Sep 10, 2006, 7:01 PM
Post #4 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go with the Cakebread for a white.

High end Chianti's are under appreciated and not that well known. A bottle of one of those would likely be a eye opening surprise to the novice wine aficionado.

thomasribiere

Sep 10, 2006, 7:09 PM
Post #5 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

$40! That's amazing! Let's say it's 40€. I doubt people will ever buy such pricy wines in France but experts. We can get some excellent bordeaux for 15€ or excellent bourgogne for 20-25€!
For 40€ you can get something really nice. But is it a good idea? When will you drink such a good wine?
I would buy either 2 or 3 bottles to drink now, or young wines to keep for 5-10 years, IF the US wine-making allows such ageing (thre must be a word I can't find...).

madriver

Sep 10, 2006, 7:21 PM
Post #6 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ridge Winery....most any Red, but they have some superb Zins.

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Sep 10, 2006, 7:55 PM
Post #7 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Find out what kind of wines they like - reds or whites, full bodied or sweet, etc. Once you figure that out, going to BevMo is probably your best bet, if there's one in your area (this safeguards against you unwittingly buying something of questionable quality). They're pretty helpful, but as for a generic tip, try staying away from anything with a screwcap (this is not to say that all screwcap wines are bad, but it's an easy avoidance in this case).

The bonus here is that they've just started tasting and probably haven't had a chance to become set in their ways, so this gives you some leniency. If you find out what kind of wines they are starting to enjoy, I can offer some more detailed suggestions.

Good luck!! :)

shakylegs

Sep 10, 2006, 8:17 PM
Post #8 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get them something from New Zealand. Their wines are relatively new to our shores, so they have that going for them. Well balanced wines, as well. (I only know this because my waiter told me so when he tasted it. I know almost nothing about it.)
Or, a Pinot Noir from the Willamette valley of Oregon. Really great wine.

charley

Sep 10, 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #9 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd a never picked you for a winer.

maculated

Sep 11, 2006, 1:21 AM
Post #10 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Some of the very best wines made in America are Merlot.

Very very true, but I read in some wine magazine while trouncing on a treadmill last week that many wine lovers are disdaining Merlot for some reason. So . . . since that's a questionable move, avoid. :)

thegreytradster

Sep 11, 2006, 1:42 AM
Post #11 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"i ain't drinkin no Fekin Merlot"

reno

Sep 11, 2006, 2:15 AM
Post #12 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'd go with the Cakebread for a white.

Ditto. Had Cakebread S. Blanc this weekend with Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs, and it was good stuff.

Kendall Jackson's Vintner's Reserve is also a fine choice in my opinion.

The only red wine I can drink is Pinot Noir (the others... Cabs, Merlots, etc. give me migraines.)

You could also buy them tickets to a local wine tasting event.

zabens

Sep 11, 2006, 2:31 AM
Post #13 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since they have been going to wine tastings your best bet would be to head down to your nearest wine cellar and go for 2 $20 bottles. Ask the store wine expert what they would recommend.

I would personally recommend a Banfi Chianti Classico Riserva- right in the $20 range and one of the best Chiantis I have tried. Other safe bets are the Ridge Zins as mentioned before. If you want to give them a neat wine tasting experience see if they carry a nice Pinotage from South Africa. Even though they aren't known for wines there are a few good Canadian Cabernet blends and a few decent Merlots. I did have a great Icewine (same as the German Eiswein) from Canada a couple months ago that was just as good as their best German counterparts, I just don't remember the name right now.

Good luck with your search! (remember to buy a bottle for yourself!)

(If you drink no Noir, you Pinot Noir) :)

blondgecko

Sep 11, 2006, 4:05 AM
Post #14 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Get them something from New Zealand. Their wines are relatively new to our shores, so they have that going for them. Well balanced wines, as well. (I only know this because my waiter told me so when he tasted it. I know almost nothing about it.)
Or, a Pinot Noir from the Willamette valley of Oregon. Really great wine.

New Zealand wines are shithouse. If you're going to go for something from down under, go Australian. Look for anything from the Hunter or Yarra valleys. There's some nice wineries in the Grampians, as well (one of Oz's best climbing areas).

thomasribiere

Sep 11, 2006, 10:57 AM
Post #15 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How funny a lot of you recommend a specific wine. Is it so easy to find the exact same wine throughout the US???

reno

Sep 11, 2006, 11:21 AM
Post #16 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How funny a lot of you recommend a specific wine. Is it so easy to find the exact same wine throughout the US???

Sometimes, yes.

Partner wideguy

Sep 11, 2006, 1:27 PM
Post #17 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone. I knew asking for reccomendations with no hints was a tall order but you gave me some good ideas nevertheless.

I went to the local wine specialty and took the manager's advice, a Cab and a Zin, figured that covered the bases I guess.

The Zin is "7 Deadly Zins" as much becaquse I liked the name as it was his reccomendation.

madriver

Sep 11, 2006, 1:30 PM
Post #18 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...tsk...tsk...tsk....Ridge...my friend....Ridge

Partner j_ung

Sep 11, 2006, 3:59 PM
Post #19 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

You need to get off your high horse, frenchy. :P :P French dominance of the world's fine wines went the way of Napoleon.

fenix83

Sep 11, 2006, 4:40 PM
Post #20 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know if you guys get them up North, but Trapiche from Argentina makes some very goor Merlot and Malbec reds, haven't had any of their whites though.

-F

krillen

Sep 11, 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #21 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey Blondie, what a surprise that an Aussie is down on NZ wine? Old rivalries die hard eh?

I had some of this Sat. night and it was pretty surprising.

Cat's Pee on a Gooseberry Bush
http://tastydrop.com/...Gooseberry_Bush.aspx

it's fun AND tasty! I bought it for kicks and to have when company came over (the name made me laugh), but would gladly buy it again.

zabens

Sep 11, 2006, 5:49 PM
Post #22 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That tends to be the rule here in the states. France is lucky enough to have a lot more area available for nice grape growing leaving a larger part of the population (compared to America) available to produce wine. They tend to be smaller wineries that may provide wine for only family and friends or wines available for surrounding areas. Here we tend to rely on larger wineries because we don't have the same amount of land available for quality wine growing compared to the total area. That means that we have fewer wine makers and larger companies. Luckily we have some of the best wine makers in the world working for some of these companies so you can get the best wines wherever you go.

Madriver, if you like Ridge wines try their 2003 Buchignani Ranch Carignane (if you can find it). It's not as lively as some of their Zins but it's a great tasting light bodied red. One of the best wines I've had this year. I'm trying to find another bottle but it seems impossible!

madriver

Sep 11, 2006, 5:55 PM
Post #23 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That tends to be the rule here in the states. France is lucky enough to have a lot more area available for nice grape growing leaving a larger part of the population (compared to America) available to produce wine. They tend to be smaller wineries that may provide wine for only family and friends or wines available for surrounding areas. Here we tend to rely on larger wineries because we don't have the same amount of land available for quality wine growing compared to the total area. That means that we have fewer wine makers and larger companies. Luckily we have some of the best wine makers in the world working for some of these companies so you can get the best wines wherever you go.

Madriver, if you like Ridge wines try their 2003 Buchignani Ranch Carignane (if you can find it). It's not as lively as some of their Zins but it's a great tasting light bodied red. One of the best wines I've had this year. I'm trying to find another bottle but it seems impossible!

thanks zabens...I'll look for it next week as I am running low. While I can't afford Ridge on a daily basis, I sprinkle in a treat or two on my case buying trips. I've enjoyed Ridge wines since the early eighties. A 1976 Cab hooked me, damn if only I'd kept a bottle or two from the seventies.

thomasribiere

Sep 11, 2006, 7:22 PM
Post #24 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

from zabens
In reply to:
Here we tend to rely on larger wineries because we don't have the same amount of land available for quality wine growing compared to the total area. That means that we have fewer wine makers and larger companies.

Interesting. Thanks for this answer.

j_ung, I don't talk to you anymore! :wink:

atg200

Sep 11, 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #25 of 26 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

another reason why specific wines are possible to find in most parts of america is that american distributors are masters of logistics. the selection of south african wines at a few of my favorite stores in denver or salt lake is better than the selection of south african wines i found in cities outside of the wine regions of south africa.

the new zealand wines being bad recommendation is total crap. i've had some wonderful new zealand wines - especially sauvignon blancs from marlborough and pinot noir from the otago valley.

the avoiding screw tops recommendation is also total crap. there are an awful lot of good wines with screw caps, and spending more than $20 on a bottle will get rid of the hobo quality wine. most of the new zealand wines are screwcaps, as are a large number of good us wines - like argyle in the willamette valley. i won't buy a wine i want to cellar with a screwcap, but for wines that i like to drink relatively young like a sauvignon blanc a screwcap is better.

too late now, but some wines in that price range that i would recommend are the st francis reserve chardonnay from cali, mclaren vale laughing magpie shiraz-viognier blend from oz(i think the 2003 was the great year for this, but i don't remember for sure), the cline live oak zin, and far niente chardonnay.

as an aside, mclaren vale makes a shiraz port that i adore. worth trying if you ever see it.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook