Forums: Community: Campground:
What one thing in history would you change...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner bad_lil_kitty

Sep 7, 2006, 8:40 PM
Post #26 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Re: What one thing in history would you change... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vietnam war - although, i have a good life here - would like to have met my birth parents and/or siblings if I had any...

blk

Partner philbox

Sep 7, 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #27 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Or that the dinosaurs never died out. That would make an interesting current world.

Do you think T-Rex shank tastes like croc meat?

I'm thinking that it would taste like chicken.

kriso9tails

Sep 8, 2006, 2:36 AM
Post #28 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hitler... I think he should have had a beard to match the moustache. I mean, that genocide and war stuff was pretty bad too, but it'd be a little nihilistic of me to undo that.

I could stand to live without most of 2005 from my own life, especially parts of the sumer, but I have a hard time remembering a lot of t anyway... and I guess it's part of who I am now.

chalker7

Sep 8, 2006, 6:32 PM
Post #29 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uhhhh I wouldn't have gotten so fucked up last nite.....but don't tell her that.....she thinks I liked it.

micahisaac

Sep 8, 2006, 7:04 PM
Post #30 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Clinton curse of the 90's.
On a personal note the tragic events of August 11th 2004. Everything's different now.

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Sep 8, 2006, 7:12 PM
Post #31 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ignoring for the moment that the thread title calls for one change to history, I:

- Would not have permitted Frank Sinatra to singlehandedly fire the coroner that was investigating the Natalie Wood drowning incident, so that the world would have known then that Robert Wagner was a jealous, closeted homosexual, murdering husband.

- Would have prevented the doomed plane carrying Buddy Holly, et al, from taking off (same goes for JFK Jr., Aaliyah, Aloha Airlines Flight 243 and the September 11 hijackers)

- Would have allowed Denise Crosby to keep her Star Trek job, even after posing for Playboy (scratch that - especially after posing for Playboy)

- Would have prevented the invention of tobacco or its analogues

- Would have hired a burly hit man with a baseball bat to beat the living shit out of the street gang that arrogantly and meticulously stole my car's computer system last year

- Would have timely assassinated, among others: John Hinckley, Jr.; James Earl Ray; John Wilkes Booth; certain unmentionable members of the GOP; Lee Harvey Oswald (and company). Would have spared Hitler's life so he could have experienced taking it up the ass 8 times a day until 1985.

- Would have compelled all the powers of Christ to help Delta Burke maintain her pageant figure in the 1980s.

- Would have blocked the American Psychiatric Association, and related authorities, from ever declaring homosexuality as a mental disease.

- Would have kept church and state separated.

- Would have banned horseracing at its inception.

- Would have talked author Heather Lewis out of killing herself so that she could have written a sequel to 'House Rules.'

- Would have kept my dad from crossing the street on July 28, 2006.

pinktricam

Sep 9, 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #32 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

- Would have prevented the invention of tobacco or its analogues
What, and deprive certain Native American Indian cultures a tradition with which to practice their deeply rooted spirituaility?!?

In reply to:
- Would have hired a burly hit man with a baseball bat to beat the living s--- out of the street gang that arrogantly and meticulously stole my car's computer system last year
Ahhh, I see that the spirit of Hammurabi's code is alive and well.

In reply to:
- Would have timely assassinated, among others: John Hinckley, Jr.; James Earl Ray; John Wilkes Booth; certain unmentionable members of the GOP; Lee Harvey Oswald (and company). Would have spared Hitler's life so he could have experienced taking it up the ass 8 times a day until 1985.
John Hinckley needed help, not a bullet. James Earl and Lee Harvey were more than likely fall guys, and assassinating Hitler before 1933 would've spared a lot of grief.

In reply to:
- Would have compelled all the powers of Christ to help Delta Burke maintain her pageant figure in the 1980s.
Just curious, how do you compel "all the powers of Christ" and what powers are those?

In reply to:
- Would have blocked the American Psychiatric Association, and related authorities, from ever declaring homosexuality as a mental disease.
Well, you're right in a sense...it's much more of a "spiritual" issue.

In reply to:
You mean it's not!?!

thegreytradster

Sep 9, 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #33 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Obviously you haven't been around horses much either.

Keeping a race horse from running would be as cruel as making a mountaineer live out his life in the gym.

And, you obviously have never appreciated native American culture, a fine cigar.

Partner camhead

Sep 9, 2006, 2:51 AM
Post #34 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just figure that tobacco is the paltry revenge that Indians got for smallpox.

kriso9tails

Sep 9, 2006, 3:30 AM
Post #35 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...and assassinating Hitler before 1933 would've spared a lot of grief.
There's just no way to be certain of that.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Just curious, how do you compel "all the powers of Christ" and what powers are those?
I heard he can glow in the dark. I'm not sure how that would have helped Delta burke, but it couldn't hurt.

In reply to:
In reply to:

Love and lust are both mental illnesses, homo or heterosexual. And you're right, it is a "spiritual" issue; just like when I chose to be left-handed just so I could spit in God's face. What a sinister little fucker I am. Still, maybe it wasn't enough; Looks like I have nothing to do on Tuesday, so maybe I'll use my free time to turn gay. ;)

justthemaid

Sep 9, 2006, 3:28 PM
Post #36 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone read Pastwatch by Orson Scott Card?

Whole book deals with this issue.

Really good. I wont spoil it by telling you what they choose to change.

Sep 9, 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #37 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Obviously you haven't been around horses much either.

Keeping a race horse from running would be as cruel as making a mountaineer live out his life in the gym.

That's a pretty assertive statement that happens to be completely off the mark. I've ridden and owned horses for over fifteen years and was a USEA ranked Young Rider for eight years. I've ridden and owned ex-racehorses and I worked/interned for a track vet for two years. That having been said, I think that horse racing, particularly in the US, is one of the most vile sports I've ever encountered. I believe my views on animal rights are reasonable and moderate, and you'll never see me burning a fur coat at a televised GAP protest, but there's a lot of dirty shit that goes down behind the scenes at the track that is completely profit-motivated with no regard to the animal. This should not be taken as a blanket condemnation of everyone affiliated with the industry, but having witnessed enough negatives, I cannot support the sport as it exists today.

Now please excuse this mountaineer's daughter as she steps off the soapbox and heads to the gym.

:wink:

Sep 9, 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #38 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
- Would have hired a burly hit man with a baseball bat to beat the living s--- out of the street gang that arrogantly and meticulously stole my car's computer system last year
Ahhh, I see that the spirit of Hammurabi's code is alive and well.

Not exactly... Hammurabi wrote the laws that he did in an effort to please the gods. My brief violent intentions had nothing to do with spirituality.

In reply to:
In reply to:
John Hinckley needed help, not a bullet. James Earl and Lee Harvey were more than likely fall guys, and assassinating Hitler before 1933 would've spared a lot of grief.

John Hinckley, Jr. deserves a bullet for all the pain and suffering he's caused Jodie Foster over the years. On a far less relevant note, he unsuccessfully tried to kill the President.

As for the others, you could be right, but again, it's all inconsequential speculation.

In reply to:
In reply to:

I believe your response adequately restates my original point: Nothing could have helped Delta Burke's figure in the 1980s. :wink:

In reply to:
In reply to:

Hadn't really thought of it that way... although I would substitute the words "natural phenomenon" for "spiritual issue."

In reply to:
In reply to:
You mean it's not!?!

Didn't mean to quash your fantasy there. But in return (and in jest), I give you a little ideological reinforcement.

:wink:

In reply to:
Love and lust are both mental illnesses, homo or heterosexual. And you're right, it is a "spiritual" issue; just like when I chose to be left-handed just so I could spit in God's face. What a sinister little f--- I am. Still, maybe it wasn't enough; Looks like I have nothing to do on Tuesday, so maybe I'll use my free time to turn gay. ;)

Words to live by!! :D

thegreytradster

Sep 10, 2006, 7:14 PM
Post #39 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well since you've been active in USEA for fifteen years that's less than half the time my wife has been involved. The horse show scene has as many bad actors as the racing scene. With more than a small amount of familiarity with both groups, I haven't seen much difference in ethical behavior, which is to say both groups have a minority that cast a bad light on the rest and the majority have a high level of emotional attachment with their charges.

Sep 10, 2006, 8:03 PM
Post #40 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well since you've been active in USEA for fifteen years that's less than half the time my wife has been involved. The horse show scene has as many bad actors as the racing scene. With more than a small amount of familiarity with both groups, I haven't seen much difference in ethical behavior, which is to say both groups have a minority that cast a bad light on the rest and the majority have a high level of emotional attachment with their charges.

I think that it's great that your wife has been involved so long - I hold a lot of respect for people who have that much experience and sense of history. However, even if you look at eventing, it's changed a lot in the past 20 years for safety reasons. Venues that were used for the 1984 and 1988 Olympic trials have been radically re-designed because of the number of catastrophic accidents on cross country. I came in at the tail end of all of that - my "home" venue's CC course used to be called The Death Course at the upper levels. But the point is, it's changing for the positive, which is a trend I see headed the opposite way in racing.

I agree with you on the horseshow scene - there are always bad apples anywhere you go. In fact, I'd say that my viewpoint on horse racing is unpopular even among the USEA (though it's been a while - I was active in the USEA when it was still the USCTA), which involves many ex-racehorses turned jumpers (the ones that didn't develop bone spurs and navicular changes before age 5). The distinction with horse racing is its overwhelming focus on profit. I'd say eventers as a whole are the ones who care for their horses the best at an elite level, based on the demanding nature of the sport, but unfortunately they're the ones who are targeted by animal rights activists (hence, the scaling down of the endurance phase at the Olympic level). Eventing is also, ironically, the most strict on drugging.

In any case, I have seen enough of the racing industry to personally argue that the negatives outweigh the positives. The sport is marketed to the general public as a place to let the animals run free, unencumbered as nature intended. But it's just not natural to run two and three year olds into the ground, fuck with their shoeing in case of a photo finish, and drug them like there's no tomorrow.

Partner macherry

Sep 10, 2006, 8:17 PM
Post #41 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

blondie, i thought Denise crosby left star trek tng on her own accord.

i was just watching pet semetary the other night.......i forgot crosby was in it.

Sep 10, 2006, 8:54 PM
Post #42 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oops - you're right, macherry. I got her confused with Julie McCollough, who got fired from 'Growing Pains.'

Partner macherry

Sep 10, 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #43 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

denise crosby wasn't that hot

charley

Sep 10, 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #44 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would change when Macherry became a man. :lol:

Sep 11, 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #45 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Without violating the TOS, I beg to differ.

Partner macherry

Sep 11, 2006, 3:28 PM
Post #46 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

links please

madriver

Sep 11, 2006, 3:50 PM
Post #47 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

links please

...ditto...

Sep 12, 2006, 5:38 AM
Post #48 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

links please

I had to wait to get home from my work computer for this...

Very non-work-safe link

Yes, she needs to trim. Yes the photos are extremely odd and dated... but still...

scottb63

Sep 12, 2006, 6:25 AM
Post #49 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is such an easy question. I crush Bin laden's skull.

cantbuymefriends

Sep 12, 2006, 3:28 PM
Post #50 of 51 (1384 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd go back about 5 years and prevent my brother from taking those 2 steps forward that killed him... Or at least find out if it really was an accident or if he did it on purpose?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook