RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

rocktard

Oct 26, 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Around the World Climbing Trip
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've decided to take a trip around the world climbing. I go from Fiji > New Zealand > Australia > Thailand > Vietnam > and as much of Europe as I can hit, primarily Italy for 6 months.

Fiji doesn't really have climbing as far as I know, but it's a long flight and I want to stop over somewhere warm.

Logistically planning this trip blows, so my BIG QUESTION IS:

Has anyone taken on a solo trip like this before, and can you offer any advice on finding climbing partners, or transportation, and how to pack without crushing my already fragile 130 lb body. Plus, I really want to do some trad climbing, but how can I justify bring a rack? Also, climbing usually involves camping... I have ultralight tents and sleeping bags, but should I also bring that stuff? It adds up. I appreciate any advice anyone has, thanks!

anykineclimb

Oct 26, 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Re: Around the World Climbing Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say be prepared for ANYTHING you'll want to climb. Imagine how you'll feel if you get somewhere and realize you could've used your rack!!

Instead of Fiji, you could go to Hawaii; there is some climbing there.

you can bring your camping gear or research hostels at every location you be going to. It'll cost ya some money, but you'll end up meeting all sorts of people.

SJP

Dec 6, 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #3 of 5 (976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocktard] Around the World Climbing Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Traveling solo is a great idea. I have done it often, AUS & NZ included. I have met partners ranging from coked out 5.8 top ropers to Inspirational Euros who pushed ne from 5.11 to 5.12+. The bad ones end quickly and the good partners are cherished for as long as schedules allow. It is a great way to expose yourself to a lot of differnt climbing sylyes and personalities.

AS for the gear you will need to bring it all. Arapilies = gear and is worth a big chunk of your time. All includes a good tent, sleeping bag, cooking gear, and camera. You can do it all for under 80lbs and the load will only make you stronger.

Have fun and be sure to hit Paynes Ford.

overlord

Dec 6, 2006, 12:55 PM
Post #4 of 5 (969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SJP] Around the World Climbing Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it would probably help some if you met at least some partners before leaving... it would make packing easier bacause you would know that a rack or a tent is waiting for you on the spotWink

kachoong

Dec 10, 2006, 4:42 PM
Post #5 of 5 (911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocktard] Around the World Climbing Trip [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on the time you want to leave. If you're leaving for the south around May-Aug, you're in for a cold few months in NZ and Aus... therefore lots of clothes. If you leave in Dec-Feb, don't bother stopping over in Fiji or visiting the north of Aus, coz it's the wet/hot season. If I were you, I'd skip Fiji, unless you're diver, in which case you'd better off start in the southern dry season (Jun-Sept).

Start in NZ around Feb and head to southern Aus by March/April. You won't need much climbing gear to get by, although my best suggestion if you should take something other than harness and shoes is a rope. By offering your rope to climb with, people will more than likely share what rack they have. Arapiles is easy for partners, but some other places like Grampians and Blue Mountains you might need to find them through a website like this one or Chockstone or Qurank prior to heading there.

As the season progresses towards May you can head up into Queensland for the start of the dry season, climb at Frog and the Glasshouse mountains and then go see the GB Reef, Magnetic Island, etc further north. I haven't been to Thailand yet but I'd reckon the season there is Nov-Feb during the dry period. You might wana head there before NZ instead, but dunno how that works with your Round Trip if that's what you're planning.

For gear, you can get away with taking a passive burner stove like a Trangia. It's compact and will make you pretty much anything with an extra good, small frypan and the couple of pots with the kit. I swear by these and you can get the fuel anywhere. Camel back. Small light tent and sleeping bag rated to just under freezing. While in Aus, get a tarp and chuck it/give it away when you leave. Bed roll. Climbing gear could be minimalized if you need to take some. Set of wires, maybe 6 small cams up to #2 Camalot, eight to ten draws.... but usually you'll have another person (unles you're soling all the time) who is more than likely going to have at least draws. You can get by at Arapiles with a set of wires, four cams and a few slings for threads and chicken heads.

Good luck... say hi to Australia for me.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook