Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

paganmonkeyboy

Oct 27, 2006, 1:26 PM
Post #126 of 176 (17561 views)
Shortcut

Re: Alert Kidnapped Rockclimbers At Big Rock, Perris, Califo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Sounds like a threat to me--pretty lame, but not unexpected from an obviously desperate wannabe like yourself. Ooooh, I bet you really want to show the world that you are somebody who actually matters. Are Oswald, Hinckley, Chapman and other psychologically challenged individuals your only role models? Get over it, asshole.

Why are you so scared and angry ? Your posts don't strike me as coming from someone that is all that happy and confident. Are you really just plain mean ?

I don't know you, so I don't know if you are really a dick, but boy howdy you sure come off as one here.

-Tom

Let's see if I understand you correctly. Are you saying that it is perfectly OK if some belligerent and anonymous internet personna threatens to come visit you, your wife and your child when they happen to be visiting your community? Hopefully not.

Also, as I am sure you are aware, if you had not selectively edited my above post, the spirit of the thing would have come across somewhat differently.

Curt

Curt - I'm talking about your whole series of posts on this thread, not just this one post specifically. There were a whole bunch of things said before this post that myself and others felt were really uncalled for.

In all fairness, threatening any others in the way it would appear they were is uncalled for as well. I'm not trying to justify nor approve of that behavior here either.

Jeff - why do you feel the need to threaten his family like that ? That's lame too...

-Tom

cantbuymefriends

Oct 27, 2006, 2:32 PM
Post #127 of 176 (17561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Let's see if I understand you correctly. Are you saying that it is perfectly OK if some belligerent and anonymous internet personna threatens to come visit you, your wife and your child when they happen to be visiting your community? Hopefully not.

No!

But stating that you'd like to see him get shot at close range is...? :roll: :roll: :? :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dynoho

Oct 27, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #128 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My point of listing Curt's wife and child was to illustrate an example of why some people prefer some level of anonymity. There are stalkers, crazies, nut jobs and psychopaths on the internet; probably members of this site as well. Perhaps it was inappropriate to do so, and for that alone, I apologize.

My analysis of Curt's posts was accurate, however. In this thread and others, he comes off as arrogant, mean and cruel. For this, I believe Curt should be apologizing. If he does not like my opinion, I would be happy to discuss it further, over a Scotch and Guinness, instead continuing this flame fest.

I did not threaten anyone; that would be illegal in California and a violation of RC's TOS.

Now, the lame, asshole, psychologically challenged, wannabe climber (me) will shut up.

-Jeff

paganmonkeyboy

Oct 27, 2006, 5:29 PM
Post #129 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank You Jeff.

That is very big, to step up and own it when you cross a line and are called on it.

And yes - I found your analysis of the tone of Curt's posts to be fairly accurate - this would be why I'm trying to get some discussion going with him as well.

Thanks again.

-Tom (proud to be a nobody wannabe :D )

davelwang

Oct 27, 2006, 5:36 PM
Post #130 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

No!

But stating that you'd like to see him get shot at close range is...? :roll: :roll: :? :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

right on

Curt, just go away. I have been blocking your worthless posts but you are such a jackass people keep on quoting you so I have to read your drivel in the context of other peoples posts. Keep your bad manners out of the internet.

dude I had to spell check my post because otherwise he is going to put a death wish on my arse too! :lol:

Thanks to paganmonkeyboy for checking out the facts. It's a shame, rc.com should have been good for this kind of stuff - climbers providing each other with information.

sidepull

Oct 27, 2006, 8:46 PM
Post #131 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks to paganmonkeyboy for checking out the facts. It's a shame, rc.com should have been good for this kind of stuff - climbers providing each other with information.

I agree, thanks pmonkey. I also apologize to flygiles - I'm sorry I didn't believe your story.

However, given the number of trolls that occur here (less so since Kansasclimber is currently conquering France) I'm always skeptical of first-time posters, particularly when they present a surprising story. Moreover, this skepticism is compounded when the post includes an element of racism, the details are a bit sketchy, and then the person happens to be out of the country. Moreover, the verification had to be provided by someone other than the OP.

Don't get me wrong, I really am sorry for casting doubt on flygiles, I wouldn't wish his experience on anyone and I do appreciate him reporting it to create awareness (in fact maybe it should be pinned to his area for future climbers' benefit). But, communication requires clarity and, often, proof, particularly in a setting where skepticism is likely.

jt512

Oct 27, 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #132 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Curt, just go away. I have been blocking your worthless posts but you are such a jackass people keep on quoting you so I have to read your drivel in the context of other peoples posts. Keep your bad manners out of the internet.

dude I had to spell check my post because otherwise he is going to put a death wish on my arse too!

Now if only there were a punctuation checker.

Jay

brizza

Oct 27, 2006, 10:57 PM
Post #133 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At least he didn't steal your rack.

paganmonkeyboy

Oct 27, 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #134 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Zounds ! This could turn into one of the most respectful threads ever !

I don't think a healthy amount of skepticism is unwarranted on this site. I just wish we would all be a little more aware of the fact that there is another person on the other side of all these nicknames, and treat each other accordingly. It is far too easy to send a one liner or two that, without the context of a face to face, just plain simply hurts the other person.

In all fairness - this phenomena is in no way restricted to this web site. Damn idealist that I am, I'd like to see this sort of respect carry over into the world at large, but its not always easy and I'm well aware of the fact that I've done more/worse than anything I might be calling others on. FWIW, I'm trying hard not to any more. Maybe I can convince a few others as well...

(And Giles - if this turns out false after all is said and done I'm whapping you in the kisser with my #11 cowbell ;) )

Many thanks,
-Tom

(edit to add : I'm always up for Guiness and scotch, if anyone ever rolls into the mighty lake of salt and wants to sink a few...)

davelwang

Oct 27, 2006, 11:28 PM
Post #135 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

dude I had to spell check my post because otherwise he is going to put a death wish on my arse too!

Now if only there were a punctuation checker.

Jay

There is a punctuation checker..... YOU!

Thanks man

devils_advocate

Oct 27, 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #136 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
(edit to add : I'm always up for Guiness and scotch, if anyone ever rolls into the mighty lake of salt and wants to sink a few...)

Just might have to take you up on that one... loved SLC the last time I was there, but I'll be damned if I could find a place that poured a decent glass of Scotch after a day on the slopes.

curt

Oct 28, 2006, 12:18 AM
Post #137 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...My analysis of Curt's posts was accurate, however. In this thread and others, he comes off as arrogant, mean and cruel. For this, I believe Curt should be apologizing. If he does not like my opinion, I would be happy to discuss it further, over a Scotch and Guinness, instead continuing this flame fest...

Scotch and/or Guinness sounds fine to me. BTW, my offer to take you out climbing when you're here was sincere too. Although it's not a universal truth, most people don't find me to be quite as much of an asshole in real life.

Curt

curt

Oct 28, 2006, 12:21 AM
Post #138 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
right on

Curt, just go away. I have been blocking your worthless posts but you are such a jackass people keep on quoting you so I have to read your drivel in the context of other peoples posts...

Shut the fuck up, n00b.

(now someone needs to quote this so good 'ol Dave can read it too :lol:)

Curt

dynoho

Oct 28, 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #139 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing, Scotch and Guinness, the offer of a true gentleman. I will be in touch when my itinerary is finalized. Hopefully, you will not be as abrasive in person. I look forward to meeting the man, the myth, the real climber, Mr. Curt Shannon.

-Jeff

cosmiccragsman

Oct 28, 2006, 1:27 AM
Post #140 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And they all lived happily ever after.

Stay tuned to Rockclimbing.com for next seasons
episodes of: As the Crag Turns.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cosmiccragsman :twisted:

paganmonkeyboy

Oct 28, 2006, 3:57 AM
Post #141 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good episode, but the ending sucked - I was so hoping Curt would marry Marla and save the ranch...

You can't win them all. Hell, you can't win most. But that's no reason to stop fighting the good fight...

(If you're not taken as such an asshole in person, Curt, what does this say about the way you choose to present yourself on here ? I know, stfu n00b...whatever, yada yada, talk to the hand...still lame, IMHO. I feel you sacrifice some credibility in the image you're carrying, when the opportunity for so much more is there...)

Until next time,
-Tom

curt

Oct 28, 2006, 5:06 AM
Post #142 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Good episode, but the ending sucked - I was so hoping Curt would marry Marla and save the ranch...

You can't win them all. Hell, you can't win most. But that's no reason to stop fighting the good fight...

(If you're not taken as such an asshole in person, Curt, what does this say about the way you choose to present yourself on here ? I know, stfu n00b...whatever, yada yada, talk to the hand...still lame, IMHO. I feel you sacrifice some credibility in the image you're carrying, when the opportunity for so much more is there...)

Until next time,
-Tom

OK, I clearly need to set the record straight for the benefit of those who don't know me personally.

1) I rather enjoy arguing/debating on the internet and if someone (like the OP in this thread) calls me an "idiot" as he/she did, they can expect me to respond in kind.

2) I was fairly sure that the OP in this thread was a troll because the story sounded fairly implausible to me. Many details were lacking and the OP was new here and also posting anonymously. I am still not completely convinced that this "kidnapping" story is real, but if it turns out to be so, I do apologize for making fun of the public service that this individual was trying to communicate to the climbing public. My only critique then would be that he/she could possibly have done a better job in being believable.

3) Any reader of this thread will see that the OP became hostile when challenged--reinforcing my belief that he/she was indeed a troll. My comment that the kidnapper should have "pulled the trigger" was again based on the belief that the OP was full of shit and making this entire story up. This comment was certainly not meant to be taken literally, as I would never wish any sort of actual physical harm to another person. That would not be cool.

Curt

paganmonkeyboy

Oct 28, 2006, 5:15 AM
Post #143 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whoa...I'm all a misty eyed...:D

Seriously though -

Thanks Curt. I mean that. I know it's tough to tell with me sometimes, and I want to be clear here.

Single malt ? Maybe some sheep dip ? Horrible name, yes, but not a bad sipper...maybe the loaich (sp) or some such...

-Tom

paganmonkeyboy

Oct 28, 2006, 5:41 AM
Post #144 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Just might have to take you up on that one... loved SLC the last time I was there, but I'll be damned if I could find a place that poured a decent glass of Scotch after a day on the slopes.

We pour hefty over here, da - come on down. And there's always ice for the B...;)

ter_bee

Oct 28, 2006, 1:53 PM
Post #145 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
We are above the Lake Perris park and lake and I’m eager to get to the top of the “Big Rock” to admire the view across the desert valley floor, Bill is following me but decides to rappel down as he saw a lone figure at the base of the rock and is concerned about our belongings being “ripped off”.

All the debate on truth of this story, does not really matter nor the good turn and robbery.

A person is messing with your stuff, you have gravity, warm them off, then drop a rock WIDE.... Next one Closer, Third time Don't miss..

wow. i actually learned something from this thread. (tried to give you a trophy but my stupid zone alarm won't let me.)

curt, glad you came round. i mean it's possible the clueless racist dude only meant to be nice.

flygiles

Oct 28, 2006, 4:37 PM
Post #146 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curt
I posted anonymously as this was the first time I,ve been on a forum...I just wanted to get the message out, I,m sure that I could have done a better job in hindsight at being "believable" and lacking many details, (When I posted the thought of people not believing me never occurered to me, and didn't even know the terms ÖP" or "Troll)...I hope the police report I will post (When I return to USA in November) will convince you of the truth.

I accept your apology for making fun of the public service that I was trying to communicate to the climbing public.
Regarding any hostility when being chllenged...the last thing I expected was for people to call Bulllsh*t on my story...if anyone had asked me for more details to verify I would be happy to provide them...I do not presume to tell you how to behave but all you had to do was ask in a polite, respectful way and I will repond in a positive way.

After looking down the barrel of a gun thinking I may never see my wife and child again your comment that the kidnapper should have "pulled the trigger" was disrespectful...thankyou for taking the time in writing that this comment was certainly not meant to be taken literally, and that you would never wish any sort of actual physical harm to another person. That would not be cool.

I really hope that the future posts on this website will be more positive and less dramatic, the more personal "sparring"on the website the less time to talk about the real passion and love of Rock-climbing adventure, something I'm sure we all share.

Blue skies and much fun outdoors
GF

cosmiccragsman

Oct 29, 2006, 2:17 AM
Post #147 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Flygiles wrote:
In reply to:
I really hope that the future posts on this website will be more positive and less dramatic,
If you took away the drama, this site would be boring! :drama:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
On a more serious note; Flygiles, It's a bummer, something like that happened to you, at a climbing area, and thank God,you and your friend are ok. It seems like the maniacs are showing up everywhere.

Welcome to Rc.com, and when you get back to SoCal, feel free to give a pm if you would like to do some climbing.

Cosmiccragsman

dptaylor

Oct 29, 2006, 7:15 AM
Post #148 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

OK, I clearly need to set the record straight for the benefit of those who don't know me personally.

1) I rather enjoy arguing/debating on the internet and if someone (like the OP in this thread) calls me an "idiot" as he/she did, they can expect me to respond in kind.

2) I was fairly sure that the OP in this thread was a troll because the story sounded fairly implausible to me. Many details were lacking and the OP was new here and also posting anonymously. I am still not completely convinced that this "kidnapping" story is real, but if it turns out to be so, I do apologize for making fun of the public service that this individual was trying to communicate to the climbing public. My only critique then would be that he/she could possibly have done a better job in being believable.

3) Any reader of this thread will see that the OP became hostile when challenged--reinforcing my belief that he/she was indeed a troll. My comment that the kidnapper should have "pulled the trigger" was again based on the belief that the OP was full of s--- and making this entire story up. This comment was certainly not meant to be taken literally, as I would never wish any sort of actual physical harm to another person. That would not be cool.

Curt

As a newcomer to the site, I appreciate the apology here. That said I enjoy a good debate as much as the next guy, but there are ways to debate while maintaining a level of maturity and civility. Oh yeah, one more thing: don't critique grammar unless you use it correctly yourself.

curt

Oct 30, 2006, 4:22 AM
Post #149 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

3) Any reader of this thread will see that the OP became hostile when challenged--reinforcing my belief that he/she was indeed a troll. My comment that the kidnapper should have "pulled the trigger" was again based on the belief that the OP was full of s--- and making this entire story up. This comment was certainly not meant to be taken literally, as I would never wish any sort of actual physical harm to another person. That would not be cool.

Curt

As a newcomer to the site, I appreciate the apology here. That said I enjoy a good debate as much as the next guy, but there are ways to debate while maintaining a level of maturity and civility. Oh yeah, one more thing: don't critique grammar unless you use it correctly yourself.

Hey, here's another thought--don't post your opinions on a climbing website unless you actually know something about climbing. I hope the grammar I have employed here meets up to your high standards.

Curt

paganmonkeyboy

Oct 30, 2006, 4:44 AM
Post #150 of 176 (17560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...unless you, yourself, use it properly.

Sorry - Couldn't resist :D

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook