Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing in Malaysia
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

too_far_gone

Nov 2, 2006, 9:27 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1654 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Malaysia  (North_America: United_States: Utah: St__George: Crawdad_Canyon: Cartoon_Crag)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking at coming to Malaysia in Feb to climb for about a month. I am looking at multipictch and bigwall. I am starting to get everything ready, but could use some advice.

I have been trying to obtain Climb Malaysia Guidebook, but haven't been able to find it online to buy. I am in China right now, so I don't have access to a bookstore or a good outdoor shop. Any suggestions on getting a guide?

Also, I am looking at Mt. Kinabalu and was wondering about the weather there that time of year. Kinabalu is at 4000m and it might get a bit cold in Feb, but how cold?

Any help us appreciated.

Thanks

asgard

Nov 2, 2006, 9:52 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1654 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in Malaysia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at Kinabalu in Feb this year, and the temp was about 15-20 celsius at the bottom, and just below freezing on the summit at dawn. Layering is the go.

Kevin

far_east_climber

Nov 2, 2006, 9:58 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Contact some of the Malaysian users on this website. They've been very helpful. I may be able to get you a copy of the Malaysia guide when I'm back in Hong Kong. You may also want to consider going to Tioman Island (Feb's too early season though...), as well as Kinabalu if you want a SE Asian BW binge... lots of unexplored stuff out there. Any how, have a look for the Batu climbing club people. Try to get a contact for Roszaman and Sharin - I have been in touch with them a number of times for similar things (I think both are users on the site) if you have any trouble let me know and I can dig their contacts up.

omegaprime

Nov 3, 2006, 1:42 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Only bigwall I know is in Tioman, and as far_east_climber mentioned the island should be closed until March.

too_far_gone

Nov 5, 2006, 1:01 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. I think I will definitely try and contact some of the Malaysia climber. I was kind of hoping they would see this post, but looks like I will have to put a little more effort in to it.

We are in dire need of a guide. I have only found a little info on the net, but none of it has been much help. We will have a month, maybe a litte more, and want to do some bigger stuff. Any suggestions at all would be awesome.

omegaprime

Nov 6, 2006, 2:19 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Malaysian climbers seldom come to RC.com, as far as I know. So normally you won't get a lot of replies posting in the Malaysian section.

Sorry I can't help out, I don't have more info on what you need as I don't have any experience on multipitch and bigwall climbing around here.

TheBatu

Jan 17, 2007, 7:16 AM
Post #7 of 7 (1497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [too_far_gone] Climbing in Malaysia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi there, Feb is not a bad time to climb in Malaysia. However, it will be too soon if you plan to climb in Tioman or Perhentian Island since the Monsoon season will end in March. As for multipitch routes, you can try in Batu Caves. Dragon Horn is a bigwall located in Tioman and it takes few days to reach the peak. There is another bigwall located in Bukit Takun, but this area has not been a popular spot lately...not really sure why. You can get your copy of Climb Malaysia Guide Book when you reach here but please be informed that some of the locations are outdated since the publication dated back in 2002...correct me if i'm wrong. There is a new climbing area located in Jerantut, bolted by Roszaman and you will not find this in the Guidebook. Feel free to browse our web if you are looking for more details.

BR
www.thebatu.com

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook