RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

rock_n_chick1

Nov 8, 2006, 3:51 PM
Post #1 of 7 (939 views)
Shortcut

West Virginia climbing beta/partner
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

[indigo][/indigo]
Hey,
I may be tripping to W.V. this weekend and looking to climb if I go (Nov 10-12). Wondering how the weather is and looking for an idea of where to go for top rope-able routes and a partner.

braaaaaaaadley

Nov 8, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #2 of 7 (939 views)
Shortcut

Re: West Virginia climbing beta/partner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I was thinking about going up there myself this weekend to meet up with somebody looking for partners, but the weather forecast turned from mid 60's all weekend to 70 on Friday, 60 and rain (40%) on Saturday and 50 on Sunday :( So I doubt that I will be up there. If you are looking for partner's, the best place to look is either asking neighbor climbers at whatever campground you choose or at the gendarme, the local climbing shop in "downtown" Seneca Rocks. As far as top ropes go I don't know why you would want to tr anything when you have 4 pitches of beautiful sandstone above you... but I hear that there are several one pitch routes on the lower slabs and the south peak east face, but I have never been there before so don't quote me. There are also several topropable routes spread out all along the cliff face, but you need to know where to find them. If you have never done multi pitch climbing before, then this probably is not the place for you to find a partner since 99.9% of people who venture to Seneca are after longer routes. Anyways I hope this was helpful and I'm sure somebody can chime in on the good climbs to top rope.

p.s. Welcome to the site! :D

banjobob

Nov 8, 2006, 6:35 PM
Post #3 of 7 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rock_n_chick1,

your post did not specify where you were looking to climb. there are other areas besides Seneca of course. especially for throwing up a TR. go to the New River Gorge, there is plenty of TRing to do at Junkyard, Bridge Buttress, and parts of Bubba City. weather is always changing here so don't go with forcasts that are more than a day ahead. they can call for rain and it will end up sunny you never know. right now there is a chance of rain on Saturday but Sunday looks better. stop in at waterstone outdoors for the scoop on the walls i mentioned.
have fun
banjo bob

rock_n_chick1

Nov 8, 2006, 7:08 PM
Post #4 of 7 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey thanks for the beta
I heard New River is gorgeous! Do you play the banjo, banjo bob? I play 5string.
I was thinking about coming up with my friend to Bethany (sp?) Not even sure where that is in relation to either place.
sounds like the weather is not going to cooperate.
thanks for the help.
rnc1

banjobob

Nov 8, 2006, 7:22 PM
Post #5 of 7 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yep , i play 5 string its the only way to go. i suck at clawhammer style!
Bethany is about 3 1/2 hours north of the gorge.
Banjo bob

dontmaytagme

Nov 8, 2006, 8:29 PM
Post #6 of 7 (939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
... Seneca Rocks. As far as top ropes go I don't know why you would want to tr anything when you have 4 pitches of beautiful sandstone above you...

Ergo.. Beautiful quartzite. :)

preacherman

Nov 14, 2006, 6:39 PM
Post #7 of 7 (753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rock_n_chick1] West Virginia climbing beta/partner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi:

Just got back on RC.com after a few weeks off - saw your post. I live about 2 hrs. S of Seneca and Franklin, 3+ E of NWG. Looking to go whenever. I have most anytime free - short notice is a better but no really a huge issue.

My weather here is similar to Seneca so I can guess pretty good if climbing is OK or not (Mtns. really affect weather around here & national weather services end up being only about 60-75% reliable).

Been climbing at Seneca 30 yrs. and know my way around pretty well. Other places in U.S. and Canada, as well.

I agree w/ others as for TR but I've done some for harder routes and its good. Leading is more fun and offers more - I'm safe, reliable, conscientious and have all gear needed.

Give me a shout.

Tom

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook