RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Lab

Premier Sponsor:

shimanilami

Nov 14, 2006, 12:18 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2205 views)
Shortcut

Modifying my small Aliens?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The larger Aliens' trigger wires have brass "stoppers" at the ends. These allow each of the wires to slide independently up or down within the aluminum plate, which in turn allows each of the lobes to articulate independently to fit a placement. (Check out an orange, purple, or white Alien and you'll see what I mean.)

The smaller Aliens, in contrast, have a loop in the trigger wire that wraps through the aluminum plate. This prevents the wires from sliding up and down, so that all four lobes are effectively joined. While there is some independent movement, it's nothing like with the larger cams. It seems to me that if the smaller cams had the "stopper" feature, they would perform better, especially in flaring cracks. (I know that's what the hybrids are for, but this modification might help them, also.)

Question - has anyone tried snipping the loop of wire and swaging stoppers on the loose ends? What are the risks? Is this a really great idea, or a really bad one?

Partner philbox

Nov 15, 2006, 7:31 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Modifying my small Aliens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never had performance issues with my small Aliens. I would suggest leaving them alone. If you want a placement in a flared crack then just use an offset Alien.

shimanilami

Nov 15, 2006, 2:58 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2116 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Modifying my small Aliens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Clearly, I have too much time on my hands.

This said, Dave at CCH advised that the new Aliens have exactly the design I described, and that they will retrofit the older version for a small charge.

What will the performance difference be? I imagine the independent cams will require a little less finagling in flaring placements. And even with my hybrids, that would be nice.

Partner csgambill

Nov 15, 2006, 3:42 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Modifying my small Aliens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with you, the mod would be nice. I find the loop somewhat annoying as it occasionally causes the lobes to flip to one side. So, I have to check and adjust all my baby aliens before each climb/pitch or they won't place optimally.

Now normally, I'd post a pic... but wait you can't embed photos anymore. I love the new site!

stymingersfink

Nov 20, 2006, 7:46 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2014 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csgambill] Modifying my small Aliens? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I agree with you, the mod would be nice. I find the loop somewhat annoying as it occasionally causes the lobes to flip to one side. So, I have to check and adjust all my baby aliens before each climb/pitch or they won't place optimally.

and

In reply to:
Now normally, I'd post a pic... but wait you can't embed photos anymore. I love the new site!
sounds like similar issues in a way... optimized for throughput vs. optimized for consumer experience.

still a lot of bugs...er, quirks to work out on the new site, eh? pisser is, it's probably not a bug.

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook