RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Euro Freaks

Premier Sponsor:

highpsi

Nov 9, 2006, 1:46 AM
Post #1 of 15 (3090 views)
Shortcut

Moving to The Netherlands for three years in Feb 07'
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I'll be moving (military) to Brunssum, The Netherlands near Herleen in Febuary.

I always enjoyed climbing shit and being active so I figured rock climbing would be a good thing to get into. I also found out that Europe has lots of places to rock climb which would give me a great opportunity to meet people, travel europe, and overall see and do things no one else has before (or at least my bum friends still living at home with their parents).

Anyways, I'm just posting here to possibly meet some people after I go to some rock climbing halls to get myself ready to climb outdoors and whatnot.

Oh and if anyone is near me and wants to go out to bars/clubs/drink massive amounts of beer i'm all game.

steady_climbing

Nov 14, 2006, 5:49 PM
Post #2 of 15 (3059 views)
Shortcut

Re: [highpsi] Moving to The Netherlands for three years in Feb 07' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Frankenjura, Germany is the place to be... Fro your soon to be location it would be about five to six hours of driving... However, the climbing is here is good stuff. If you are interested get with me and we can plan for the summer time...

overlord

Nov 14, 2006, 6:01 PM
Post #3 of 15 (3055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [steady_climbing] Moving to The Netherlands for three years in Feb 07' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

welcome to eurofreaksWink

anyway, theres much more to europe than frankenjura, though nethrelands are a bit flat. if you plan on doing some roadtripping (i hope you are), france, spain, italy, slovenia, schwitzerland, portugal and croatia are also prime destinations.

steady_climbing

Nov 14, 2006, 6:09 PM
Post #4 of 15 (3053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Moving to The Netherlands for three years in Feb 07' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Right you are; there are many more places than only Frankenjura; however, being a soldier, I believe he will be limited to the amount of travel and climbing time he has available....

highpsi

Nov 16, 2006, 9:00 PM
Post #5 of 15 (3040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [steady_climbing] Moving to The Netherlands for three years in Feb 07' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nooope =). I'll have four days on and four off.

That means if I take four days of leave i'll have 12 days off =). Four days off time is pretty prime too, considering the fact that taking a train/driving/flying doesn't take more than a day to get to most places in Europe.

I have a very extensive list of countries I want to go to. Poland, Hungary, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Croatia, Romania, Ireland, Scotland, Czech Republic, Slovakia...

I plan on sampling as much beer as I can...oooh, and I absolutely love eastern european/slavic women...I will be in those countries often.

(This post was edited by highpsi on Nov 16, 2006, 9:05 PM)

overlord

Nov 16, 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #6 of 15 (3037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [highpsi] Moving to The Netherlands for three years in Feb 07' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you lucky SOB. if you come to slovenia, drop me a lineSmile

and keep your hands off my GF and my beer. get your ownTongue

Partner heiko

Nov 17, 2006, 10:47 AM
Post #7 of 15 (3034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I plan on sampling as much beer as I can...oooh, and I absolutely love eastern european/slavic women...I will be in those countries often.

Sly prepare to become another one on the list of frustrated foreigners thinking European women are easy to pick up. It's not like there was exactly a lack of males not speaking any of the local languages, you know. Wink

(This post was edited by heiko on Nov 17, 2006, 11:20 AM)

steady_climbing

Nov 17, 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #8 of 15 (3030 views)
Shortcut

Re: [heiko] Moving to The Netherlands for three years in Feb 07' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Poor young man.... You are right about one thing... Four days and you can get some... I repeat some traveling done... However, I know of no job in the military that will give you extra leave days for free. In fact, it is against regulation... Anyway, look into Ryan Air.. They have cheap flights throughout Europe. Ensure you have a passprot. Your ID card will only take you throughout Western Europe..

highpsi

Nov 17, 2006, 7:15 PM
Post #9 of 15 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Re: [heiko] Moving to The Netherlands for three years in Feb 07' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha. I never said anything like that. My whole theory/stance on women is that every single woman in the world is one giant complicated rubix cube that takes forever to figure out. Then you end up smashing that rubix cube against the wall with hopes crushed.

highpsi

Nov 17, 2006, 7:17 PM
Post #10 of 15 (3022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Poor young man.... You are right about one thing... Four days and you can get some... I repeat some traveling done... However, I know of no job in the military that will give you extra leave days for free. In fact, it is against regulation... Anyway, look into Ryan Air.. They have cheap flights throughout Europe. Ensure you have a passprot. Your ID card will only take you throughout Western Europe..

Oh and when I meant "taking four days of leave" and getting 12.. that is because of my 4 days on 4 days off schedule. I just take my 4 days of work off, and i get the four day break before and after that work cycle ... which equals twelve days. I'll have a passport also....

Up here in Minot, ND.. after I was in a military competition I came back and had eight days off, so they let me drive to Oregon about 26 hours away without charging me leave. Gotta pull those strings!

I also heard about Ryan Air... I heard their planes aren't the best... heh.

(This post was edited by highpsi on Nov 17, 2006, 7:19 PM)

Partner heiko

Nov 19, 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #11 of 15 (3005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I also heard about Ryan Air... I heard their planes aren't the best... heh.

Most all of the European low-cost flight companies have very little problems with their planes, many of the ones I've used were fairly new. I've seen way older stuff in the US for domestic flights to be honest. However, the seating setup isn't very generous, to if you're a big guy, that's a bit uncomfortable. But then, flights are rarely longer than 2hrs.

petje

Nov 22, 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #12 of 15 (2995 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i live 3 km from brunssum, and i say,: why fly so much? Belgium is around the corner and has 300+ climbingarea's! also the eifel just bleow cologne is full of climbing, Nideggen and Ettringen real local highlights.

only 3 hours drive is Palatinum and 4,5 hours to bleau. 4,5 hours is the same time to FJ.

let me know if you eant to meet up. I presume you are climbing in the local gym in Heerlen also?

highpsi

Nov 24, 2006, 11:50 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petje] Moving to The Netherlands for three years in Feb 07' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah man that'd be cool if we could meet up. I looked up that climbing gym in Herleen and I'll probably go there for starters.

I wouldn't mind flying so much, it'll give me a chance to see the rest of Europe =). I figure rock climbing would give me a great chance to do that..

hugh89

Mar 13, 2007, 7:26 AM
Post #14 of 15 (2929 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey i live in schineld. i just moved here from th U.S. if you want to learn to climb you can give me an email and i can help. i mostly do bouldering but looking to start doing sport climbing. email me at hugh89@climbing.com

marshallq

Mar 14, 2007, 8:02 AM
Post #15 of 15 (2917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugh89] Moving to The Netherlands for three years in Feb 07' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are also some climbing options around venlo. Lavitasana is a climbing hall (sports centrum) and fliegerhorst is a outdoor climbing object (command tower from the airfield that existed there in the second worldwar).

Check out www.lavitasana.nl and www.fliegerhorst.nl

Just send me a PM if you need anymore info.

(This post was edited by marshallq on Mar 14, 2007, 8:04 AM)

Forums : International : Euro Freaks

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook