Not sure. 1 / 3%
30 total votes

dingus

Dec 8, 2006, 6:33 PM
Post #51 of 99 (2802 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] In memoriam: TO READ, PLEASE REGISTER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
Of course this thread is moving and many posts are definitely interesting, either coming from the family or from the community. But such a thread could be posted in a General forum as well.

No offense but THAT thread couldn't be posted at all on this site. Most of those people won't read or participate in this board. Some of them used to but no more.

I gave you an example of an open board and a heartfelt and positive accident thread born from tragedy, no 'news media hype bullshit, none of that, and your response is 'well we could just file it elsewhere.'

yes, you can file it elsewhere.

DMT

(This post was edited by dingus on Dec 8, 2006, 6:34 PM)

thomasribiere

Dec 8, 2006, 7:05 PM
Post #52 of 99 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] In memoriam: TO READ, PLEASE REGISTER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry Dingus, but I only frequent ONE US forum, so I can't compare them. We have equivalent threads on french forums when a major climber disappears (like Berhault last year). I don't remember how the Skinner's thread went here on rccom because I was not interested in reading it all - I just took the harness info (with the newspaper and url reference)s to throw it in a french forum. Was it bad?

Partner artm

Dec 8, 2006, 7:06 PM
Post #53 of 99 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
Of course this thread is moving and many posts are definitely interesting, either coming from the family or from the community. But such a thread could be posted in a General forum as well.
Okaaaaayyy
then what's the point of having a seperate forum for accidents and injuries?
Wouldn't such a thread be subject to the same media perusal that you're trying to protect us from?
Gah...I don't know why I'm even posting, it's becoming obvious that the new site Fallers (excuse me owners) DO NOT VALUE USER INPUT.

thomasribiere

Dec 8, 2006, 7:10 PM
Post #54 of 99 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Re: [artm] In memoriam: TO READ, PLEASE REGISTER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I AM NOT AN OWNER! I give here MY PERSONAL OPINION like you do. So forget my green username and consider me as a normal user.
Word!Mad

dingus

Dec 8, 2006, 7:12 PM
Post #55 of 99 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
sorry Dingus, but I only frequent ONE US forum, so I can't compare them. We have equivalent threads on french forums when a major climber disappears (like Berhault last year). I don't remember how the Skinner's thread went here on rccom because I was not interested in reading it all - I just took the harness info (with the newspaper and url reference)s to throw it in a french forum. Was it bad?

Ah just forget it. Lock the forum and throw away the key, I don't care. You and major sabbet can discuss helmets and shit to your heart's content.

Cheers!
DMT

DMT

DMT

Partner coldclimb

Dec 8, 2006, 7:21 PM
Post #56 of 99 (2778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
I AM NOT AN OWNER! I give here MY PERSONAL OPINION like you do. So forget my green username and consider me as a normal user.
Word!Mad

Yeah guys, Thomas is right. The mods have no more input in the direction of the site than we do. Can't blame Thomas when things are lame around here. They're just glorified users with a green name who have their own forum and more responsibility.

Partner the_mitt

Dec 9, 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #57 of 99 (2748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coldclimb] In memoriam: TO READ, PLEASE REGISTER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No offense coldclimb but I'm going to call bullshit here (or shenanigans) The green people are as accountable as the red people. By having your name in green and posting you open yourself up to the same accountability and ridicule as the red fellas. We all know that if they didn't support the regime they would be like yourself and Hillary, by maintaining their "status" they open themselves up to being compared to the owners.

Mitt
BTW, after having several glasses of wine I find the font in the text box incredibly small, is it me or should I just be looking through the several empty beer bottles here on my desk?

Partner coldclimb

Dec 9, 2006, 6:57 PM
Post #58 of 99 (2725 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_mitt] In memoriam: TO READ, PLEASE REGISTER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_mitt wrote:
No offense coldclimb

None taken. Wink Perhaps you're right. Perhaps we're both right. Shocked

epic_ed

Dec 11, 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #59 of 99 (2673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_mitt wrote:
No offense coldclimb but I'm going to call bullshit here (or shenanigans) The green people are as accountable as the red people. By having your name in green and posting you open yourself up to the same accountability and ridicule as the red fellas. We all know that if they didn't support the regime they would be like yourself and Hillary, by maintaining their "status" they open themselves up to being compared to the owners.

That's simply not true. I'm about the biggest boat-rocker in the Mods forum and have disagreed with nearly every decision that has been "cast in stone" by the new owners, including this one. This site has never experienced any issues with content being abused from the A&I forum by the media, and I agree that the threads started about the death of fellow climbers have all -- each and every one -- lead to the creation of a "keepsake" post for viewing of family and friends who would otherwise never visited our site. That said, if this isn't a decsion that's open for discussion, then I'm not going to waste my energy debating it. There are PLENTY of other issues that the owner have been and are willing to debate. I focus on getting those changed favorably.

Back to the topic of the poll -- I'm all in favor of a memorandum being created out of the profile. In fact, if I crater I would hope many of you would stop by my profile and turn it into a full blown "roast". Those of us who have been a round this site a while have friends in far stretches of the country who wouldn't be able to attend a memorial service. I'd hope, for me, that my friends would be able to use the profile as a place to yuck about old times and re-live glory days...however brief they were.

Ed

climbsomething

Dec 11, 2006, 11:16 PM
Post #60 of 99 (2660 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epic_ed] In memoriam: TO READ, PLEASE REGISTER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was so appalled by the notion that the forum suddenly needed to be protected from unscrupulous reporters that I didn't even think of the obvious, which Jay brought up: the threads have provided unique and possibly indispensable comfort to survivors.

Again, I'm sorry DZ's death threads have been abused. But for the umpteenth time, this is not DZ- which has an option in the pull-down search menu specifically for "fatalities."

In reply to:
That said, if this isn't a decsion that's open for discussion, then I'm not going to waste my energy debating it.
When you consider just how many topics are deemed set in stone and not open for discussion, you should in fact take a long look at what you're willing to waste your mod energy and title on... nawsayin?

(This post was edited by climbsomething on Dec 11, 2006, 11:22 PM)

Partner the_mitt

Dec 12, 2006, 1:23 AM
Post #61 of 99 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epic_ed] In memoriam: TO READ, PLEASE REGISTER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think its pretty obvious that you weren't the biggest boat rocker because you are still a moderator. I would suggest that there were others before you. The gist of what I said was that by maintaining your "status" as a mod you will be compared to them (read:owners) and even lumped in with them during times of criticism. I think it is very obvious who chose to support the owners in "all" of their decisions and who did not. You may have argued your points but at the end of the day you lost your arguments you chose to stay and now you are "pulling in the same direction." How many arguments have you won?

You don't have to justify your actions, you chose to stay and support the owners and not one of your fellow mods. The whole I chose to stick around to fight the battles I think I can win excuse is pretty weak. It just says the little battles are bigger than my support for the fired mods.

Mitt

reno

Dec 12, 2006, 1:32 AM
Post #62 of 99 (2645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just can't get over the thread drift here.

I ask if people who have died tragically should be memorialized in some unique way, as a way of paying respect and honor to them and their memory. And yet it becomes a "slam the staff" thread.

Sickening doesn't begin to describe it. THIS is how you treat the dead and their surviving family?

Partner macherry

Dec 12, 2006, 2:03 AM
Post #63 of 99 (2636 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] In memoriam: TO READ, PLEASE REGISTER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

agree reno, plenty of thread drift.

At the end of the day, this is just a website. I go to work, spend time with my family, and volunteer a small portion of my time to rc.com.

No i don't agree with everything the owners have done, but i stick around because i like this site and i feel i have something to contribute. If that makes me some sort of turncoat, fine............keep flinging the poo!!!

This criticism is getting old.

Partner coldclimb

Dec 12, 2006, 3:51 AM
Post #64 of 99 (2623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] In memoriam: TO READ, PLEASE REGISTER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
No i don't agree with everything the owners have done, but i stick around because i like this site and i feel i have something to contribute. If that makes me some sort of turncoat, fine............keep flinging the poo!!!

That's what I said! And I got canned for it!

I said I strongly disagreed with the decision to fire Hillary, and I could not be swayed to agree, and it made me lose the respect I formerly had in the owners, but I elected to stay aboard based on urgings from my fellow moderators and especially Phil. Next day I woke up canned.

Why am I singled out, owners? Why not other mods who also disagree? Or why not none of us, since we all care about this site and enjoy offering our time to make it better? Why?

dingus

Dec 12, 2006, 4:00 AM
Post #65 of 99 (2620 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
THIS is how you treat the dead and their surviving family?

Who died?

DMT

Partner coldclimb

Dec 12, 2006, 4:03 AM
Post #66 of 99 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and Reno, in repsonse to your question, I think a little note in the profile would be good. Just a note, saying the user passed away in a car accident, climbing accident, or whatever, but with no link to any forum discussions. The forum discussions are never fun.

reno

Dec 12, 2006, 4:07 AM
Post #67 of 99 (2614 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
reno wrote:

Who died?

DMT

Apparently you didn't read the OP.

jakedatc

Dec 12, 2006, 5:30 AM
Post #68 of 99 (2604 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He meant this thread isn't talking about anyone specific so there is no family etc to offend

but you probably knew that

ps. I agree something short should be written and the profile should be locked so it wont be reused later on.

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Dec 12, 2006, 5:31 AM)

overlord

Dec 12, 2006, 7:39 AM
Post #69 of 99 (2595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

coldclimb wrote:
Oh, and Reno, in repsonse to your question, I think a little note in the profile would be good. Just a note, saying the user passed away in a car accident, climbing accident, or whatever, but with no link to any forum discussions. The forum discussions are never fun.

i was thinking along those lines too.

dingus

Dec 12, 2006, 1:43 PM
Post #70 of 99 (2585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
dingus wrote:
reno wrote:

Who died?

DMT

Apparently you didn't read the OP.

The OP died?????

DMT

fracture

Dec 12, 2006, 3:25 PM
Post #71 of 99 (2575 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] In memoriam: TO READ, PLEASE REGISTER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
No i don't agree with everything the owners have done, but i stick around because i like this site and i feel i have something to contribute.

But the truth is that you have nothing to contribute. The people who actually contribute to these forums are the ones who post interesting (or humorous) things, not the mindless file-clerks who shuffle posts from forum to forum.

You're just gullible. You've been duped into volunteering your time for free. You do not do a useful service here. You are a problem.

Please stfu and go away.

murf

Dec 12, 2006, 3:33 PM
Post #72 of 99 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

coldclimb wrote:

No little note, standard image linked to the discussion in I&A. After all, whose gonna write it, the lackeys... I mean minions... I mean admins?

Lots of blabbing for what seems to be 2 deaths in the last 4 years for folks w/profiles.

fracture

Dec 12, 2006, 3:42 PM
Post #73 of 99 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] In memoriam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This idea is just stupid.

fenix83

Dec 12, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #74 of 99 (2565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fracture] In memoriam: TO READ, PLEASE REGISTER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fracture wrote:
macherry wrote:
No i don't agree with everything the owners have done, but i stick around because i like this site and i feel i have something to contribute.

But the truth is that you have nothing to contribute. The people who actually contribute to these forums are the ones who post interesting (or humorous) things, not the mindless file-clerks who shuffle posts from forum to forum.

You're just gullible. You've been duped into volunteering your time for free. You do not do a useful service here. You are a problem.

Please stfu and go away.

As opposed to you, right? :rolleyes:

-F

(This post was edited by fenix83 on Dec 12, 2006, 5:33 PM)

caughtinside

Dec 12, 2006, 5:48 PM
Post #75 of 99 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
I just can't get over the thread drift here.

I ask if people who have died tragically should be memorialized in some unique way, as a way of paying respect and honor to them and their memory. And yet it becomes a "slam the staff" thread.

Sickening doesn't begin to describe it. THIS is how you treat the dead and their surviving family?

this is one of the funniest things I've ever read on this website.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook