Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

redpoint73

Dec 12, 2006, 6:00 PM
Post #26 of 35 (789 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugin] crash pad decision [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mad Rock is not known for its durable products. And often in life, you get what you pay for.

I've never been a big fan of hinged pads. They are good for draping over small boulders in the landing zone, but thats about it.

Pads with carpeted tops are great for wiping your shoes. The flap feature on the bottom and sides of the AK is really nice, so you can store your stuff inside when you are carrying it w/o having to worry about stuff falling out. I have the old Cordless D-Lux, which is the basis of the AK, and have been quite happy with it.

rainontin

Dec 13, 2006, 2:06 AM
Post #27 of 35 (773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] crash pad decision [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A spotter can only do so much once you get up high enough. On most highballs it quickly becomes more dangerous to the spotter than the climber should the latter pitch off the top of the bloc. Still, if people knew something other than the standard gym spot (hands crossed standing five feet away from the climber while in full conversation with everyone else who isn't paying attention) you would see far fewer ankle injuries.

eddie_munster

Dec 13, 2006, 4:17 AM
Post #28 of 35 (764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cas] crash pad decision [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used Revolution pads for 10 years. I've only worn through about 3 total with mega-heavy use, and abuse. My body is wearing out faster than my pad.

If you got the cash, then drop it on the 12-gauge, otherwise, the Ak will treat you right.

bizarrodrinker

Dec 13, 2006, 1:17 PM
Post #29 of 35 (756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rainontin] crash pad decision [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rainontin wrote:
A spotter can only do so much once you get up high enough. On most highballs it quickly becomes more dangerous to the spotter than the climber should the latter pitch off the top of the bloc. Still, if people knew something other than the standard gym spot (hands crossed standing five feet away from the climber while in full conversation with everyone else who isn't paying attention) you would see far fewer ankle injuries.

Agreed...see my post in the "new to bouldering thread"

It is true that once you get high enough there is only so much a spotter will be able to do but I would still prefer a shattered ankle to a fractured skull, vertabrae, or neck. Pads are great but it is still possible to turn an ankle through a pad anyway. It has happened to me before All depends on the landing.

rainontin

Dec 13, 2006, 5:35 PM
Post #30 of 35 (739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] crash pad decision [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Forgot to reply to the actualy question of the thread: Go with the 12 Gauge if money and storage space are not an issue. The Mondo is an excellent pad that is a wee bit easier to fit in smaller vehicles and is slightly less expensive. The Misty Magnum is also very nice.

calii22

Dec 13, 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #31 of 35 (723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey so heres the deal with pads in my opinion. Revolution uses ok foam i dont think it is the best however. although there big pad has lasted me almost 2 years. (Climbing like 5 dyas a week and 8 months travel time)the one your looking at i dont think is going to keep you safe on a high ball. But anyway stick you hand in the pad and sqeeze the smaller peaice of faom and if you see the bubbles pop or if you can tell they will pop dont buy the pad it will go soft and you will bottom out super fast. cheap bastard is pretty good my girlfried has this pad and it is light and works well the down side to it is the buckle loops crack and break kind of fast.

emptybottles

Dec 17, 2006, 7:21 PM
Post #32 of 35 (702 views)
Shortcut

Re: [calii22] crash pad decision [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fat Bastard v BD DropZone?

Opinions? Experiences? I can get both for around $100 delivered right now, so that's the main factor.

gunksjunky88

Dec 19, 2006, 8:58 PM
Post #33 of 35 (677 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

buy the cheapest one available! 99% of the time when bouldering you need more than one pad anyway... when you have two or three pads being moved around by spotters it doesn't really matter how expensive they are. i've fallen on the cheapest pads... and the most expensive... the only time it really matters is if you are highballing... in which case i'd take out a personal loan to buy the nicest pad i could find.

sidepull

Dec 19, 2006, 9:47 PM
Post #34 of 35 (666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugin] crash pad decision [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hugin wrote:
clausti wrote:
i'll second the misty mountain magnum. it is 4'x5', and, being misty, it has stellar stiffness for how thick it is.

a major problem with the mad pad, in addition to the unprotected hinge- its SO thick its great as an ankle breaker like that, too, if you land on the edge. same way ppl break their ankles falling on the edge of a thick gym pad.

I did exactly this on my Cheap Bastard but months ago. It's good advice to heed if you think you really wnat that thick pad.

with good spotters?

in other words, your spotters should really be making sure the pad is in the right spot and that you land correctly. The idea of rolling or breaking an ankle on the pad's edge cannot be brand specific.

edl

Dec 20, 2006, 6:25 AM
Post #35 of 35 (640 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] crash pad decision [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would also submit a vote for Organic. I have their extra large 5" thick pad and I LOVE it. Reasons I think Organic pads rock:

1. The materials used for the shell are top notch. If you want you can have your pad made with ballistic quality nylon (the same stuff used in bullet proof vests).

2. The seams are triple stitched I believe so they will take a serious beating before ripping out.

3. The foam is the best on the market IMO. The closed cell foam layer is a completely different type of foam than anyone else, and it goes flat MUCH MUCH slower. As a result, the Organic pad will still support you on a highball well after any other pad is flat and old.

4. You can get your pad custom designed in terms of available colors, so it can be unique and special to you.

5. It is a good ethical company, and I know the owner(s) personally so I can feel comfortable making that statement. They try as much as possible to source materials from American companies.

6. Customer support is top notch in my experience.

These pads are basically just Zealot pads (who no longer make pads) made by someone else, if you are familiar with that product. The only big downside to them is that it takes a while to get the pad because every one of them is custom made. If you are looking for a quality product that will last I think this is your best option.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook