Not sure. 1 / 3%
30 total votes

thomasribiere

Dec 12, 2006, 6:07 PM
Post #76 of 99 (3884 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fracture] In memoriam: TO READ, PLEASE REGISTER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

fracture wrote:
Please stfu and go away.

same thing for you, dickhead!

Partner j_ung

Dec 12, 2006, 8:21 PM
Post #77 of 99 (3861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fracture wrote:
macherry wrote:
No i don't agree with everything the owners have done, but i stick around because i like this site and i feel i have something to contribute.

But the truth is that you have nothing to contribute. The people who actually contribute to these forums are the ones who post interesting (or humorous) things, not the mindless file-clerks who shuffle posts from forum to forum.

You're just gullible. You've been duped into volunteering your time for free. You do not do a useful service here. You are a problem.

Please stfu and go away.

The women in your family tree get pregnant through anal sex, don't they?

Partner macherry

Dec 12, 2006, 9:51 PM
Post #78 of 99 (3837 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fracture wrote:
macherry wrote:
No i don't agree with everything the owners have done, but i stick around because i like this site and i feel i have something to contribute.

But the truth is that you have nothing to contribute. The people who actually contribute to these forums are the ones who post interesting (or humorous) things, not the mindless file-clerks who shuffle posts from forum to forum.

You're just gullible. You've been duped into volunteering your time for free. You do not do a useful service here. You are a problem.

Please stfu and go away.

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Good lord!!!!

reno

Dec 12, 2006, 10:27 PM
Post #79 of 99 (3829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fracture wrote:
Please stfu and go away.

You first.

dingus

Dec 13, 2006, 3:00 AM
Post #80 of 99 (3796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] In memoriam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
Question for y'all:

Reading the thread in Accidents and Injuries about the tragic death of Mr. Forrester, I had a thought:

Would it be appropriate, in cases where a member of RC.com dies, to put a little blurb on their profile:

"RC.com member JohnSmith died tragically on Jan 1st, 2006, while climbing at Road Cut Cliffs. He leaves behind a wife and two children. He was loved by friends and family, as well as climbing partners. The climbing community has noted his passing here, and all of us at RC.com mourn his loss."

Or something like that? (BTW, the "noted his passing here" part would be a link to a thread, if there is one.)

I don't know how well this would be viewed by the users or family, so I wanted to run it past y'all. We also don't want to deal with accusations of "Profile editing Nazi Mods!" or other such BS. This is a chance for the users to speak up and decide an issue.

Vote, and let your voice be heard.

The mods, staff and owners of this site should not presume to hack the profile of a deceased site member, short of a court order, even to put dearly departed words there.

Spontaneous posts are they way to do it, written by those users moved to do so. You don't need to formulate words about people you didn't know, searching for 'just the right turn of phrase.'

You damn sure don't need to be hacking profiles that aren't yours and editing words you didn't write.

Beyond that (accessing and editing other peoples' data) you can bloody 'ell do what you want.

Hope that clears it up for you. I can send a hard copy if you like.

DMT

reno

Dec 13, 2006, 3:20 AM
Post #81 of 99 (3793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] In memoriam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you, Dingus, for your input.

Wasn't so hard, eh?

Partner coldclimb

Dec 13, 2006, 3:36 AM
Post #82 of 99 (3789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
reno wrote:
Question for y'all:

Reading the thread in Accidents and Injuries about the tragic death of Mr. Forrester, I had a thought:

Would it be appropriate, in cases where a member of RC.com dies, to put a little blurb on their profile:

"RC.com member JohnSmith died tragically on Jan 1st, 2006, while climbing at Road Cut Cliffs. He leaves behind a wife and two children. He was loved by friends and family, as well as climbing partners. The climbing community has noted his passing here, and all of us at RC.com mourn his loss."

Or something like that? (BTW, the "noted his passing here" part would be a link to a thread, if there is one.)

I don't know how well this would be viewed by the users or family, so I wanted to run it past y'all. We also don't want to deal with accusations of "Profile editing Nazi Mods!" or other such BS. This is a chance for the users to speak up and decide an issue.

Vote, and let your voice be heard.

The mods, staff and owners of this site should not presume to hack the profile of a deceased site member, short of a court order, even to put dearly departed words there.

Spontaneous posts are they way to do it, written by those users moved to do so. You don't need to formulate words about people you didn't know, searching for 'just the right turn of phrase.'

You damn sure don't need to be hacking profiles that aren't yours and editing words you didn't write.

Beyond that (accessing and editing other peoples' data) you can bloody 'ell do what you want.

Hope that clears it up for you. I can send a hard copy if you like.

DMT

I wasn't thinking like that though Dingus, I was thinking of sort of tagging a user as "deceased" and then an extra note shows up at the top of their profile, not actually in their description. Something like "Rockclimbing.com member Coldclimb passed away in a climbing accident on December 25th, 2006." so anyone browsing the forums knows I'm dead. Just a short note is all.

reno

Dec 13, 2006, 5:09 AM
Post #83 of 99 (3778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coldclimb] In memoriam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coldclimb wrote:
I wasn't thinking like that though Dingus, I was thinking of sort of tagging a user as "deceased" and then an extra note shows up at the top of their profile, not actually in their description. Something like "Rockclimbing.com member Coldclimb passed away in a climbing accident on December 25th, 2006." so anyone browsing the forums knows I'm dead. Just a short note is all.

That was my original idea, for what it's worth. No editing of the user's actual profile, just a blurb at the top to let folks know....

*shrug*

jt512

Dec 13, 2006, 5:30 AM
Post #84 of 99 (3773 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
coldclimb wrote:

That was my original idea, for what it's worth. No editing of the user's actual profile, just a blurb at the top to let folks know....

*shrug*

Just in case dingus's and my point haven't been made clear enough, we believe that no one has the right to alter the climbing profile of a deceased user, unless explicit instructions were given to do so. Dingus limited that to a court order. To that I would add, the request of the legal next of kin, and explicit instructions in the deceased's will.

I think it would be nice if members who died (whether in a climbing accident or not) were honored in some way on the site, perhaps in a dedicated obituary column; although, if I understand him correctly, dingus would be opposed to this, preferring "spontaneous" posts exclusively.

Jay

veganboyjosh

Dec 13, 2006, 6:21 AM
Post #85 of 99 (3763 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] In memoriam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I think it would be nice if members who died (whether in a climbing accident or not) were honored in some way on the site, perhaps in a dedicated obituary column; although, if I understand him correctly, dingus would be opposed to this, preferring "spontaneous" posts exclusively.

another forum?

it would make it easy to keep the threads on topic, as opposed to "he shoulda used this other knot" drift that seems to happen in past obit threads.

if i had to choose, i'd make it closed to the public...

i voted no in the poll above, but i'd vote for an obit forum, for sure.

dingus

Dec 13, 2006, 12:56 PM
Post #86 of 99 (3748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] In memoriam: TO READ, PLEASE REGISTER!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yo reno

Let's turn on the WAY BACK machine, clear back to Dec. 7th (I was in Honolulu that day, remember it vividly as it was less than a week ago):

dingus wrote:
May I submit the canned death notice?

"Its all right mates! WE'LL SEE EM AGAIN IN ELL! AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!"

or how about

"Bummer dude."

or maybe

'Goodbye girl we didn't really know and never really met, we hardly knew thee."

I think death notices should be spontaneous and should be written by those moved to do so. I don't think there should be a program or a programmed response, not ever. The text of a programmed response is entirely meaningless.

DMT

DMT

reno

Dec 13, 2006, 3:25 PM
Post #87 of 99 (3736 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Just in case dingus's and my point haven't been made clear enough, we believe that no one has the right to alter the climbing profile of a deceased user, unless explicit instructions were given to do so. Dingus limited that to a court order. To that I would add, the request of the legal next of kin, and explicit instructions in the deceased's will.

How many different ways can I say this???? I am not talking about editing anyone's work. Not their profile, nor their posts, nor anything that is theirs. Anyone that thinks I want to do that, please contact me via PM and I'll ease your fears as best I can.

What I was talking about was adding a small banner at the top of someone's profile page that says "Just FYI, this guy's dead." Somewhat more diplomatically, of course, but that's the general idea.

At the moment, my profile page has the black menu bar (Home, Forums, Routes, etc.) and a gray menu bar (My profile, Messages, Watched Threads, etc.) at the top, then a BIG blank white space, then "Personal Profile (edit)" below that.

In that white space, imagine a short message. The rest of the page remains EXACTLY THE SAME.

In reply to:
I think it would be nice if members who died (whether in a climbing accident or not) were honored in some way on the site, perhaps in a dedicated obituary column;

Now, that's an interesting idea.... a listing of people from RC.com who have died climbing, with links to their profiles and an excerpt from the news blurb?

Hmmmm. I think I like this....

jt512

Dec 14, 2006, 7:01 AM
Post #88 of 99 (3695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
jt512 wrote:

How many different ways can I say this???? I am not talking about editing anyone's work. Not their profile, nor their posts, nor anything that is theirs. Anyone that thinks I want to do that, please contact me via PM and I'll ease your fears as best I can.

What I was talking about was adding a small banner at the top of someone's profile page that says "Just FYI, this guy's dead." Somewhat more diplomatically, of course, but that's the general idea.

At the moment, my profile page has the black menu bar (Home, Forums, Routes, etc.) and a gray menu bar (My profile, Messages, Watched Threads, etc.) at the top, then a BIG blank white space, then "Personal Profile (edit)" below that.

In that white space, imagine a short message. The rest of the page remains EXACTLY THE SAME.

In reply to:
I think it would be nice if members who died (whether in a climbing accident or not) were honored in some way on the site, perhaps in a dedicated obituary column;

Now, that's an interesting idea.... a listing of people from RC.com who have died climbing, with links to their profiles and an excerpt from the news blurb?

Hmmmm. I think I like this....

I wouldn't restrict it to the cause of death being climbing related. Death of a site member is death of a site member. Who cares whether they died climbing, died of cancer, or died in a car accident. Death is death. It might be nice to have a place (ie, a forum) dedicated to their memory.

Jay

Partner coldclimb

Dec 14, 2006, 7:28 AM
Post #89 of 99 (3692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I wouldn't restrict it to the cause of death being climbing related. Death of a site member is death of a site member. Who cares whether they died climbing, died of cancer, or died in a car accident. Death is death. It might be nice to have a place (ie, a forum) dedicated to their memory.

Jay

Yeah, I agree. Users have died in non-climbing accidents and still been remembered quite fondly and vocally by many members here.

reno

Dec 14, 2006, 2:18 PM
Post #90 of 99 (3679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coldclimb] In memoriam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coldclimb wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Yeah, I agree. Users have died in non-climbing accidents and still been remembered quite fondly and vocally by many members here.

How about a sticky at the top of Accidents/Injuries, locked to replies, where an obit is posted about the deceased?

I say "locked to replies" because we all know how people will start to speculate on cause, what went wrong, and so forth. That sort of thing could be done in the "regular" thread, but the obit column would be akin to the "Announcements" forum, where the post is made, and any further discussion is held elsewhere.

What say ye, gentlemen?

dingus

Dec 14, 2006, 2:35 PM
Post #91 of 99 (3676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
I say "locked to replies" because we all know how people will start to...

What say ye, gentlemen?

Yes WE ALL KNOW users can't be trusted. Lock ALL the threads dude and type our replies for us. PLEASE SAVE US FROM OURSELVES!!!111

DMT

reno

Dec 14, 2006, 2:48 PM
Post #92 of 99 (3675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
reno wrote:

What say ye, gentlemen?

Yes WE ALL KNOW users can't be trusted. Lock ALL the threads dude and type our replies for us. PLEASE SAVE US FROM OURSELVES!!!111

There goes DMT, jumping off the deep end again, twisting words into new meanings, and taking things to the ridiculous extreme.

I suppose you're right, though... letting people start flame wars in an obit column would be MUCH better.

Crazy

Partner j_ung

Dec 14, 2006, 3:17 PM
Post #93 of 99 (3670 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
reno wrote:

What say ye, gentlemen?

DMT

I have hidden entire threads about accidents involving deaths of climbers. Sometimes at the request of loved ones and friends, sometimes of my own volition. Those that I moved of my own volition, I did so because they had become like this one, with insults supplanting the OP's very admirable intended purpose. I will never apologize for such an action and if you want to view it as "protecting yourself from yourself," instead of protecting the people closest to to the accident victims from assholes with nothing to offer but hurtful comments, then so be it.

That said, I'm also against locking such threads. I would, however, wholeheartedly endorse moderation of such a vigorous level that your head might very well spin.

htotsu

Dec 14, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #94 of 99 (3654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having an obit that is locked to replies is OK if there can be a separate thread if people want to do the usual discussing, et. al. I don't see a problem with the actual obit acting as an "announcement" that is merely there to inform. Besides - by that time there would surely already be a discusison thread, so nothing is lost.

Editing to add that maybe the sticky thread can be all of the obits in one place, one thread to honor the deceased without flames. Reopened to add a new one whenever (unfortunately) needed, then locked again. Just a thought.

(This post was edited by htotsu on Dec 14, 2006, 5:01 PM)

reno

Dec 14, 2006, 6:03 PM
Post #95 of 99 (3641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [htotsu] In memoriam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

htotsu wrote:
Editing to add that maybe the sticky thread can be all of the obits in one place, one thread to honor the deceased without flames. Reopened to add a new one whenever (unfortunately) needed, then locked again. Just a thought.

That's kinda what I was thinking, htotsu. I don't think we have enough deaths to warrant a seperate "Obits" forum, let alone the macabre nature of such a forum. But an Obit sticky thread at the top of I&A.... well, that's an idea that has workability.

jt512

Dec 14, 2006, 6:11 PM
Post #96 of 99 (3640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
coldclimb wrote:
jt512 wrote:

How about a sticky at the top of Accidents/Injuries, locked to replies, where an obit is posted about the deceased?

I say "locked to replies" because we all know how people will start to speculate on cause, what went wrong, and so forth. That sort of thing could be done in the "regular" thread, but the obit column would be akin to the "Announcements" forum, where the post is made, and any further discussion is held elsewhere.

What say ye, gentlemen?

I can see two ways that this might work. The first would be a sticky "In memorium" thread in the injuries and accidents forum. By necessity, it would have to be locked to replies because it would be a single thread. The deceased member's name would be in the post heading.

The second way, which I think is better, would be to have a dedicated "In memorium" forum, with a full thread dedicated to each deceased member. This gives friends and family an opportunity to post remeberences to the deceased. It also gives the tribute more prominence, which I think is appropriate, than having it contained within a forum. The forum would have to be skillfully moderated.

We shouldn't be too concerned about creating "another forum," as long as the new forum serves a good purpose. One poker site I visit, twoplustwo.com, has about 60 forums, each covering a distinct subject area.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Dec 14, 2006, 6:14 PM)

Partner the_mitt

Dec 14, 2006, 8:08 PM
Post #97 of 99 (3625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think your ideas on this are very good. I would like to see an obit column and a sticky that says this section will be heavily moderated.

Mitt

climbsomething

Dec 14, 2006, 8:27 PM
Post #98 of 99 (3620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_mitt] In memoriam [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hope this obit forum would see very little action, nawmean?

I do think it's nice, though. Could be very touching and therapeutic.

veganboyjosh

Dec 15, 2006, 6:01 AM
Post #99 of 99 (3597 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
The second way, which I think is better, would be to have a dedicated "In memorium" forum, with a full thread dedicated to each deceased member. This gives friends and family an opportunity to post remeberences to the deceased. It also gives the tribute more prominence, which I think is appropriate, than having it contained within a forum. The forum would have to be skillfully moderated.

We shouldn't be too concerned about creating "another forum," as long as the new forum serves a good purpose. One poker site I visit, twoplustwo.com, has about 60 forums, each covering a distinct subject area.

i agree with all of this.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook