Premier Sponsor:

vivalargo

Dec 12, 2006, 3:47 PM
Post #1 of 23 (1216 views)
Shortcut

RIP Buddy
Report this Post
Can't Post

Last month our Rottweiler (which we've had since he was like a week old) stopped eating right. He started shedding then his right leg went numb, them got swollen, then his neck, head and throat filled with fluid. Blood tests shows nothing much. Yesterday he got so bad we took him to the animal hospital and they found badness in his chest–no chance of recovery, and we had to put him asleep. My neighbor ("Buddy" was actually her dog but he spent most days wondering in and out of my office) and I were there to make sure our old friend (only 7) was not frightened, but he was suffering greatly and the vet said this was the humane thing to do. But it totally blows. I can't believe how attached I got to that dog.

I guess this is Buddy's obit. He was a total people person though so big he spooked most folks. But he'd only lick your face off. I will miss him a lot.

JL

jbird2

Dec 12, 2006, 4:16 PM
Post #2 of 23 (1186 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vivalargo] RIP Buddy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sad to hear vivalargo. Frown

It took my 5yrs to get around to wanting another dog after my boston terrier passed away.

We have a 10 week old beagle puppy and it has been a good experiance reliving all the memories.

Time will heal. If you have any photos, make a scrapbook or album. Not right now, but in a few months.

Best to ya.....

nikegirl

Dec 12, 2006, 4:26 PM
Post #3 of 23 (1180 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jbird2] RIP Buddy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

John,

I can't tell you what it's like to lose a friend in a dog.
I have 3, of which I adore, and love.
I can't imagine.
just know pain is no more for your baby.

goddess bless.

hugs to you and your family.

~T

fenix83

Dec 12, 2006, 4:28 PM
Post #4 of 23 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nikegirl] RIP Buddy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Really sad to hear that largo, my condolences...

-F

dlintz

Dec 12, 2006, 4:49 PM
Post #5 of 23 (1160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

4 years ago yesterday I lost the best dog I've ever owned. I know exactly how that feels, hang in there John.

d.

Partner wideguy

Dec 12, 2006, 4:55 PM
Post #6 of 23 (1156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] RIP Buddy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry about your loss, John. All the best for you and your friend.

hangerlessbolt

Dec 12, 2006, 5:03 PM
Post #7 of 23 (1147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fenix83] RIP Buddy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My dogs are my ‘children’.

Lucky (12 yr old, terrier mix) was picked up from a pound in Texas. I named her ‘Lucky’ because she was supposed to have been put to sleep the day that I picked her up. At only a few weeks old, there was no way I could let that happen.
She’s been with me on a ton of hiking and backpacking trips. She’s a little cranky these days, but being in her ‘twilight’ years…she’s earned it. (It’s going to be a terribly dark day when the time comes.)

Dijit (2.5 yr old, golden retriever) With his long, golden ‘feathers’ and his overly friendly retriever demeanor…he is my ‘bud’. We wrestle, we run, we play catch…he is my buddy. He curls up at my feet…keeping my legs and feet warm. He thinks he’s still little…and it shows when he brings all 85 lbs of himself and ‘crawls’ onto my lap.

Gisele (8 mth old, deer-head Chihuahua) T has always wanted a ‘very small’ dog. One day we ‘ended up’ at a pet store. We looked at all the puppies…all were very cute, but none struck me as the one. That was until the store clerk moved the boxes that were stacked in front of a cage on the floor…and there she was. We took her out and introduced ourselves in a kennel off to the side. I knew the second we saw her that I was ‘doomed’! ha ha. She was coming home with us. She has been an absolute joy….vomitously cute is a term I often use to describe her.

I would be devastated if anything bad happened to any of these guys… I mourn your loss.

http://myspace-633.vo.llnwd.net/.../62/1407092633_l.jpg

(This post was edited by hangerlessbolt on Dec 12, 2006, 5:04 PM)

Partner j_ung

Dec 12, 2006, 5:07 PM
Post #8 of 23 (1143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shizzle. They get right into your life and heart, don't they?

zip_ty

Dec 12, 2006, 5:14 PM
Post #9 of 23 (1131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] RIP Buddy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry for your loss!

My family had a beautiful Airedale Terrier named Ipo (Hawaiian for Sweetheart). She had to be put down a few years ago because of a tumor in her back. It was definitely a tough time for all of us.

I think a small photo album is a good idea. My younger brother did that for Ipo and I know it helped him out a lot.

chanceboarder

Dec 12, 2006, 5:14 PM
Post #10 of 23 (1129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JL, my condolences, I feel your pain. I had to put one of my two dogs to sleep just over a year ago and now my other one is showing signs of problems as well. It is amazing how attached one can become to their dog.

Hang in there, he'll always be with you in spirit.

Jason

kachoong

Dec 12, 2006, 5:33 PM
Post #11 of 23 (1112 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chanceboarder] RIP Buddy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Frown I hate it when good pups die!! Words are never enough to describe the loss. So sorry to hear, John!

Partner brent_e

Dec 12, 2006, 5:44 PM
Post #12 of 23 (1107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear that, John,
they really are a part of the family.

here is to good memories of your friend.

Brent

pjdf

Dec 12, 2006, 6:32 PM
Post #13 of 23 (1090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Condolences on your loss, John. We had my childhood dog put down 5 years ago (she was 14), but my parents still have a picture and a few of her ashes above the fireplace. My parents inherited a hound a couple of years later, and even though he has very few redeeming qualities, eats everything (he'll eat random sheets of paper if you leave them around), he's a sweet pup who loves getting outdoors. I'll give him an extra treat to remember that it's nice having him around today.

reno

Dec 12, 2006, 6:39 PM
Post #14 of 23 (1085 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pjdf] RIP Buddy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for your loss, John. Ain't easy, but there come times when we have to let our best pals go. Had to do it myself a few months ago. Never had to do something so tough before, and ain't ashamed to say it brought a tear.

May you find peace knowing that your dog is no longer in pain, that he runs free amid vast grassy meadows, chasing rabbits he'll never catch, and waits patiently for you.

t_nut

Dec 12, 2006, 7:18 PM
Post #15 of 23 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear. Maybe he's moved on to licking God-face now - that can't be too bad. They sure get ingrained in our worlds. Peace, dude.

shortfatoldguy

Dec 15, 2006, 1:14 AM
Post #16 of 23 (985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

John, my condolences. Between the two of us, my GF and I have three great, old, dogs who will be joining him on the Trail all too soon. It'll be hard on me, but worse for my GF--her little collie mutt is the smartest dog I've ever met and has been her constant companion for 13 yrs.

lagr01

Dec 15, 2006, 1:33 PM
Post #17 of 23 (952 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sorry for that, man. Rest in peace, Buddy.

I went through something similar last year, and I know how sad it is to lose the most loyal and greatest companion which is what good Rottweilers are. My 14 year old Rottie (been living overtime for 4 years for Rottweiler standards) died from bloat, and when I saw him slowly go while the vet was trying to save him I felt like a part of me was dying a little too.

I really missed him, and I'll never forget him, but now I got this crazy little guy and that's helped me to move on.

vivalargo

Dec 15, 2006, 4:13 PM
Post #18 of 23 (944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lagr01] RIP Buddy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the kind words, friends. Here's a true story. About four or five years ago I dislocatd my shoulder at the beach (big wave bounced me off the bottom of the sea--body surfed my whole life--bad luck I guess) and six months of rehab followed. That shoulder hurt like you wouldn't believe. Any sudden movement and I would scream. Anyhow I got the wise idea that I would leash up Buddy, get on my bike and ride around the nearby golf course, steering with my bad arm held low, and holding onto Buddy/leash with my good arm. I explained to Buddy in perfectly good English that he couldn't go yanking the leash and to stay calm. I got out onto the driveway and Buddy bolted and yanked me straight into a tree limb, impacting my bad shoulder directly and torturously. I screamed and flew into a rage and punched Buddy, hard, straight on the front of the head. The front of a Rot's head is like plate stel and I almost broke my hand and Buddy didn't even flinch, just looked at me till I started laughing. I pushed the bike onto the lawn.

"I guess we're walking," I said to Buddy, and off he went, dragging me behind.

JL

(This post was edited by vivalargo on Dec 15, 2006, 4:30 PM)

darkside

Dec 15, 2006, 4:22 PM
Post #19 of 23 (941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice memory John, tres funny. Remember such times and joy and sadness will mingle.

crimpergirl

Dec 15, 2006, 5:01 PM
Post #20 of 23 (926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear of this loss. Hurts like nothing else. I lost my dog January 22, 1979 (yes, 1979) and I've never been able to get another dog. Thank god for dogs.

vivalargo

Dec 15, 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #21 of 23 (919 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimpergirl] RIP Buddy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Off topic--

Hey, Callie, did you get that book yet?? There's some suave statistical sutff therein by some doctor.

JL

crimpergirl

Dec 15, 2006, 6:39 PM
Post #22 of 23 (907 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps. I sent you the address as I was leaving STL. Been here in the nation's capital since. It is like a prize waiting for me when I return home! I'll let you know when I get there...

Wink

billcoe_

Dec 15, 2006, 8:43 PM
Post #23 of 23 (883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimpergirl] RIP Buddy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dogs are so strange that way. Wife wanted to rescue a Jack Russell Terrier not long ago. I had memories so strong of the last dog I had (Erin, an Irish Wolfhound) I didn't think I was ready to open my heart to a new dog. (nor did I want the responsibility)

She got two of the damn things over my objections, and they are a great bundle for joy to the whole household. Hank, the big older dog, (big is relative here, he's a 12"'er) - had his owner die and no one wanted him. He has some emotional issues, and if you walk into another room he'll follow you in there just to keep you in sight. The little one is a "puddin jack", shes all of like 10" tall: sometimes, when shes playing tug of war (these damn things are tenacious like you wouldn't believe) I look at those bushy eyebrows and fluffy chin whiskers and think of how much this 10" pup looks like Erin, my still loved gentle giant that stood waist high to me and had whiskers just like that.

Good memories of her still come back at odd times. How when doing the yardwork, I could plop our little toddler anywhere in the yard and that huge Wolfhound would let the little guy pull her hair and climb all over her until bored, he'd go wandering away. She'd stand up and as he neared the "border" or furthest point away of where she thought he should be going too, would stand in front of him till he would shift direction. She'd mosey along until he'd reached that invisible "border" the other way, then she'd step right in front of him blocking access that direction. He'd plop his ass back down at some point and she'd quietly lay down next to him and he'd start pulling her ears and hair/climbing all over her and the cycle would repeat itself. She never let him go into the street. Don't know how she knew that should be a border. The dog was a family member who never seemed sad or down, was always happy to see any of us at anytime, loved adventures and getting out, and cared for us as we cared for her.

I've never stopped loving the last 2 dogs I had and never will. It's been over 8 years since Erins hips went out.....

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook