RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

climbjs

Sep 13, 2002, 11:19 PM
Post #1 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Worst rope-burn
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, fess up. I'd like to hear people's stories of their own worst rope-burns.
Mine: TR'ing a sport climb, new belayer. The belay end of the rope is right next to the climbing end. I think my belayer was smoking pot at the time, whatever. Anyway, I'm climbing and heel-hook with my left foot. There is a bit of slack in the rope, and I peel. My leg wraps around the rope, on the back of my knee (yeah, the tender skin). I fall about 10 feet. That's 10 feet of rope behind my knee. Nasty burn. Showers felt GREAT on that one for about 3 weeks... Sore subject, aye?

[ This Message was edited by: climbjs on 2002-09-13 16:26 ]

Partner iclimbtoo

Sep 13, 2002, 11:26 PM
Post #2 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Worst rope-burn [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not me, but a student of mine...

I was working in Montana this summer, and their were three of us teaching an advanced climbing course. To make a long story short, this guy set up his belay for the wrong hand, tried to stop a 25'er, the rope drug through his hand, I grabbed it and boke the fall like 2 feet before the climber decked. We looked at his hand and it was black and smoking...seriously. It smelled like burnt flesh too. But what was worse was we had to bandage up his hand that had chunks of skin ripped off of it when it got stuck in the belay device when I broke the fall. nasty.

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 13, 2002, 11:38 PM
Post #3 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Three weeks ago, I fell while attempting my first .12, and got a gnarly burn on my left ankle. It can be seen in this picture. And this was after three weeks of healing.

toobigtoclimb

Sep 14, 2002, 12:22 AM
Post #4 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The worst was in the old days of Goldline, Swami belts, and hip belays...also the Duffelsitz rappell. Ouch!!

daisuke

Sep 14, 2002, 12:28 AM
Post #5 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there is one of the newbies at the university gym that climbs like a bat outta hell, we're always telling him to slow the hell down and climb gracefully. the other day one of the dudes saw it fit to teach him a lesson and after he had climbed to a considerable height of the ground, the belayer just stopped taking up the rope (he was on toprope), he got to the top and went nuts that he had no rope tension, completely afraid to let got and let the rope hold him. so he was yelling his ass off and another guy pulled the rope so that it seemed like he was being held, the guy let go and fell, but in his super-powerful attitude he grabbed the other strand of the rope when he fell and of course it didn't stop him, burned his hand instead.

it was a pretty stupid trick on behalf of those involved, altho it seemed smart at the moment for him to learn the lesson that climbing fast is not considered graceful.

I'm just glad it didn't happen to me, he'll not be climbing for a while... if ever again.

D

jt512

Sep 14, 2002, 12:35 AM
Post #6 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can avoid getting rope burns by (1) keeping the rope in front of you (between the wall and your leg), not behind your leg, and (2) insisting that your belayer hold the rope right up against the wall until you've clipped the 2nd bolt. That way if you fall at the first or second bolt, you won't fall onto the rope.

-Jay

boz84

Sep 14, 2002, 12:46 AM
Post #7 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbjs, I had the EXACT same thing happen to me, 'cept it was only about 5 feet, still burnt the hell outta me!

It was weird, cause there were two seperate burns on my upper leg and lower leg, that touched eachother if I bend my knee, hehe... Everyone was asking me how the heck I got that... ouch.

climbinganne

Sep 15, 2002, 2:06 PM
Post #8 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have only experienced this once...unfortunatly i got so friggin tangled up...it was a sport lead, i was topping a roof at the time (i think in the confusion of the whip..i grabbed the rope, still not sure) and ended up with rope burns on my right shoulder, arm inside the elbow joint and behind my knee that would make adam's burn look like a mere flesh wound.

[ This Message was edited by: climbinganne on 2002-09-15 07:12 ]

basecamp_junkie

Sep 15, 2002, 2:52 PM
Post #9 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Worst burn I ever had wasn't even a friction burn. I was melting the end of a piece of accessory cord when a friend bumped me. The end of the rope was still hot enough to be liquid when it hit the back of my hand.

stevematthys

Sep 15, 2002, 3:15 PM
Post #10 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, here is my friction burn story, so there i was sitting up on a zip line my friend had just done, he skimmed the ground a little bit at the start so i decided to take about 6inches out of the line since i am bigger then he is. so i did that and i jumped off, i started flying, but i never started to slow down. coming up quickly was the tree that the other end of the zip line was tied off to a tree. so i just grabbed the rope i dont even know why i did it, i just saw the huge tree with huge branches so i grabbed the rope. luckly i did not hit the tree, but i did get a massive brun across four of my fingers.

[ This Message was edited by: stevematthys on 2002-09-15 08:16 ]

thoxsie

Sep 15, 2002, 3:28 PM
Post #11 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, toobigtoclimb, what is the Duffelsitz rappel? My worst rope burn also came from rappelling. . .I have a nice little cliff by my house that I like to take people rappelling on for their first time. The cliff is about a 110 foot drop and 100 of those feet you are 5 - 10 feet away from the wall.
I learned if you got to the overhang jumped and leaned back you could rappel upside down. The only problem is the only way that you can stay upside down is if you rap a leg around the rope. To make a long story short. I was taking some girls rappelling and wanted to show off. So when I got to the overhang I jumped, leaned back, and rapped my leg around the rope. I went about 90 feet down the rope this way as fast as I could. . .To this day I have a four inch scar on the back of my right leg. But at least it was for a good cause.

climbinganne

Sep 15, 2002, 3:38 PM
Post #12 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im thinking..i call it 'the body method' of rapel...ALWAYS WEAR PADDED CLOTHING!!!

memphis_rea

Oct 31, 2002, 11:52 AM
Post #13 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had one of the strangest burns. my buddie and i were playing take away in a gym. the last move i tryed was a dyno to the finish. but on my way up, his rope slide against my hand inbetween my thumb and forefinger. my hand and his end of the rope were going opposite ways.. all i can say is that 4 months laster i still have a little bit of a scar

lostangel

Oct 31, 2002, 12:37 PM
Post #14 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A lady who worked at the gym!

I asked her to belay me on this roof problem, I get up there and I am hanging upside down.. I take a look at the rope and something doesnt look right.. the rope is to the far far left of the problem and I am on the right.. then she starts bitching about keeping the rope between my arms.. I ask her " is that rope caught on something?" she was like "everything is fine, I can belay, just keep that roppe between your arms!" she was belaying me with a gri gri and needless to say I went for a hold flew off the problem and and the rope almost went completely around my neck because the rope apparently was wrapped around a hold and there was a shi* load of slack I didnt see. she almost hung me!! when I got off and found out wht happened I lost it.. apparently she isnt a climber either )-: I had the worst rope burn acrosed my neck

coach

Oct 31, 2002, 4:34 PM
Post #15 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Once while teaching rappelling to our students I had one that kept wanting to grab the rope above the descender. I kept telling him to keep his brake hand down and keep a loose grip with the other hand. Just as he started down the tower he got scared, let go with his brake hand and grabbed the rope above the descender with both hands. DOWN HE WENT! His ground belayer got him stopped before decking but he had a nice burn across the back of his hand down to the bone! Uggh!

Climb On

climbincajun

Oct 31, 2002, 4:52 PM
Post #16 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know a guy who got freaked out before a fall and wrapped couple loops of rope around his arm! When he fell, the rope came tight and cinched off around his bicep. It was instantly purple and deformed. His bicep is now two lumps instead of one.

climblouisiana

Oct 31, 2002, 5:10 PM
Post #17 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a nice one under my underarm just recently. I was just above the first bolt of a sport climb when my foothold broke. My arm was reaching across above the bolt to a hold. My arm was burned on the rope going from the first bolt to the belayer. I am very careful with where my rope is but this was a unique situation.

sparky

Nov 4, 2002, 2:19 AM
Post #18 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I watched stevematthys grab onto a zipline at about thirty miles an hour if you want to hear a ton of funny stories vistit the PAGE OF SHAME at mine and steve's site www.geocities.com/climb_eldorado

tradaddict

Nov 4, 2002, 2:50 AM
Post #19 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.geocities.com/climb_eldorado/misc_pics.html
Ahhh... I was always told not to ever put metal against metal (look at the biners in the first photos). Can anyone explain this picture?

boz84

Nov 4, 2002, 2:52 AM
Post #20 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Picture isnt very good. If that gold looking thing in between te two biners IS a biner, than ya thats very bad.

They can twist and open the gate.

Partner camhead

Nov 4, 2002, 3:11 AM
Post #21 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The worst one I have ever had was from a pretty minor fall: like a six foot whipper where I just happened to hit the back of my knee on the tight rope below the bolt.

However, this was on the first day of an expected month long road trip. The frickin wound festered, infected, and kept reopening for the whole trip. Hurt really badly, and looked sick.

bouldertoad

Nov 4, 2002, 3:34 AM
Post #22 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I personally have not yet had a rope burn but my wife and friend of mine both had nasty ones.
My friend was pulling a roof with his rope through a bolt that is about two feet over the roof(which is always a good sign or an impending rope burn) a handhold snapped and he fell with his arm against the rope. It was one of htose nasty burns that festers and gets all nasty but luckily he worked i na hospital so he could use all the right stuff to let it heal. No scar even........

My wife was belaying me on about the 8th ...last climb of hte day at a sport area. I was cruising along until I was to pumped to clip the anchors. The area is notorious for alonger runouts from the last bolt to the anchors so i decide to down climb a few moves t orst when I popped off. She caught the fall but was in the process of taking in some slack withg her non-brake hand when i fell and it burned her pretty badly across her palm. Needless to say htat was the last route of the day

crux_clipper

Nov 5, 2002, 3:18 AM
Post #23 of 23 (10829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was trying this dyno in the gym on top rope, and every time i missed and fell, it left stripes of rope burn marks accross my shoulder.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook