RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

kman

Sep 16, 2002, 12:18 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2412 views)
Shortcut

5mm tech cord. anyone used this before?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just picked up some 5mm tech cord. Man that stuff is stiff. Does it loosen up a bit after use or does it stay like that? The guy at the store couldn't get it to cut using that cord cutter / melter device thingy. He had to cut it with a knife and melt the sheath to the core. Is there a better way of cutting this stuff? Thanks.

krustyklimber

Sep 16, 2002, 1:46 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2412 views)
Shortcut

5mm tech cord. anyone used this before? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kev man,

What did you get that stuff for?

It is usually reserved for slinging of hexes, though you will see it as cordelettes and auto block slings.

Aramid fibers, which is what the core consisted of, are very strong and resistant to heat damage. But that stiffness is eventually the "undoing of it", the fibers are very brittle, and knotting and reknotting is thought to reduce the strength of the cord.

But don't get me wrong it is very good stuff.

I have my hexes slung with a few different brands and am stoked, but that is the only application I use it for.

I hope this helps,

Jeff

winkwinklambonini

Sep 17, 2002, 2:11 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

be carefull, technora is a fiber that came from the sailing industry where there is a premium on low stretch line. This has several implications. First, static line could be dangerous if your rope does not insulate the load from the pro.
Second tying knots must be done with skill. because of the tight radius turn in the bowline, it can cut 50% of a DYNAMIC line's strength, and 80% of a STATIC line!!!!! This is because static line doesn't allow the portion of the core on the inside of a turn to share load. So chose your knots carefully, a double fishermans is tradition, a triple fishermans is better for slippey aramids, but a follow through 8 has wide radius turns. WHEN EQUALIZING A CHORDALETTE, MAKE SURE ALL LOOPS OF THE MASTER POINT ARE SHARING THE LOAD
Personally, I use 5 ml spectra mostly because when I was working as a sail maker, spectra was a bitch to cut with a pair of shears. aramid fibers were like butter.

kman

Sep 17, 2002, 8:18 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Krusty....going to use it for what you mentioned. I heard this stuff is hard to get wet, so I was thinking about using it for ice climbing, but it is not very dynamic, so I will probably just stick with my cordlette for that.

Winkwink...I am aware of the pros and cons of static and dynamic and knots ect...what I wanted to know was what the best way of cutting this stuff was, since it does not cauterize when you cut it with the heat cutting thing, like the kernmantle core does. Thanks though.

jeffe

Sep 17, 2002, 9:46 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kman, I use a utility knife. Also cut over a block of wood. Then melt the sheath to the core. A guy in a shop said having somebody pull it tight with two sets of pliers while you cut, makes it a little easier. Never tried it though.

radistrad

Sep 17, 2002, 1:31 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy nylon for cordaletts.... read thishttp://www.xmission.com/~tmoyer/testing/High_Strength_Cord.pdf
its interesting on cord strength

superdiamonddave

Sep 17, 2002, 2:50 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wire cutters work well.

mountainmonkey

Sep 17, 2002, 3:45 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When you cut it, pull the sheath back and cut a small length of the core fibers off. Then slide the sheath back down and melt them around the core fibers. It is nice and neat but you have to be sure you leave enough length on the free ends so the core does not get sucked into the knot and have the knot fail.

casey

josher

Sep 17, 2002, 4:34 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use it regularly. I love the stuff. It is stiff (which makes it easier to bundle up). It is thin so i dont use it much for top ropes where excess wear on the rock might abraide it. I holds like 5000 lbs. or something like that, so on static anchors, it works great.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook