Premier Sponsor:

Partner wideguy

Jan 18, 2007, 4:57 AM
Post #1 of 12 (863 views)
Shortcut

Neosporin for a cat??
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone ever heard it reccomended or reccomended against? Here's the deal, I noticed my cat favoring his left front paw. A quick check revealed I had been lax in trimming his nails, especially the large one that grows between his main paw and his extra thumb. This large one had grown all the way back into his paw. I managed to get it cut but the blood on the tip was clear, (poor guy.) He's walking fine now, not favoring but should I be at all concerned about whatever cut/would that nail had created, particularly when he's in the litter box for example? Would some antibiotic cream help, hurt or do nothing at all?

Thoughts?

Partner brent_e

Jan 18, 2007, 5:14 AM
Post #2 of 12 (856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] Neosporin for a cat?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

your cat might try and lick it off, which could lead to some trouble......???

I would suggest using salt and water and dabbing it to keep it clean. Check it to see if it gets infected, too.

(This post was edited by brent_e on Jan 18, 2007, 5:15 AM)

oldandintheway

Jan 18, 2007, 5:16 AM
Post #3 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My vet said it was fine to use on dogs and cats. If you're an animaniac you might check into taking the Red Cross' Pet First Aid course.

sjm915

Jan 18, 2007, 5:46 AM
Post #4 of 12 (845 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldandintheway] Neosporin for a cat?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cats are tough as shit, ive had like 10. he should be fine, just check it out for the next week, the vet will just rape you for something you can make and educated guess on. you shouldnt even have had to cut his nails, get him a scratching post if hes stuck indoors.

Jan 18, 2007, 6:04 AM
Post #5 of 12 (842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sjm915] Neosporin for a cat?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sjm915 wrote:
Cats are tough as shit, ive had like 10.

Damn. That seems like a lot to me. I hope you haven't been testing them to failure!

sjm915

Jan 18, 2007, 6:13 AM
Post #6 of 12 (836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [112] Neosporin for a cat?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ive always had like 3 at a time, 3 got caught by coyotes(over time), another to a car, neighbors dog got two, one got into some poison of some sort, still dont know what. now that im thinking back, i think ive had closer to 15 cats. alot of people may think " well you shouldnt let you cats outside" but this ol vet i know gave me some words of wisdom I live by on whether to let my cats out or not after a few got killed, he said " would you rather have a loonng boring life.... or a short exciting life" and i made up my mind.

(This post was edited by sjm915 on Jan 18, 2007, 6:26 AM)

Partner bear829

Jan 18, 2007, 6:21 AM
Post #7 of 12 (835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
Anyone ever heard it reccomended or reccomended against? Here's the deal, I noticed my cat favoring his left front paw. A quick check revealed I had been lax in trimming his nails, especially the large one that grows between his main paw and his extra thumb. This large one had grown all the way back into his paw. I managed to get it cut but the blood on the tip was clear, (poor guy.) He's walking fine now, not favoring but should I be at all concerned about whatever cut/would that nail had created, particularly when he's in the litter box for example? Would some antibiotic cream help, hurt or do nothing at all?

Thoughts?

Salve. Its mainly made of bees wax and some other things, but it won't hurt the cat at all. The only down side is that it smells like shit. Remember, a little goes along way and it will clear the 'ailment' up faster than neosporin will. Best of luck.

dr_feelgood

Jan 18, 2007, 6:39 AM
Post #8 of 12 (827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bear829] Neosporin for a cat?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flesh is flesh, neosporin works (or doesn't) damn near as well as on one as on th eother...

it won't hurt him.

RockRingtail

Jan 18, 2007, 7:16 AM
Post #9 of 12 (821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
This large one had grown all the way back into his paw. I managed to get it cut but the blood on the tip was clear, (poor guy.) He's walking fine now, not favoring but should I be at all concerned about whatever cut/would that nail had created, particularly when he's in the litter box for example? Would some antibiotic cream help, hurt or do nothing at all?

Thoughts?

I am not sure if you mean to say that his dewclaw had grown around and back into his paw, creating an abrasion/cut on his actual paw or if you have simply cut the quick of his nail when you trimmed the nail??

If you have just cut the quick of the nail, you don't need to apply anything. Generally, if the quick is cut on kitties (or doggies nails) we just apply a little potassium permanganate powder to stop the bleeding (they bleed for a while otherwise!). At home, you can just apply pressure as for any other cut. In terms of antibiotics... if you have simply cut the quick, they are unecessary. If you are truly concerned, clean the tip of the nail with a swab moistened with lukewarm water and apply a little betadine to the tip of the cut nail daily for the next 3-4 days. Keep an eye on it and if you notice any signs of lameness &/or infection, head to your vet.

On the other hand: if the nail had grown into his paw and there are signs of infection (redness, heat, swelling, a funny smell &/or pus), your kitty needs to see your vet. Topical antibiotics are not suitable. As an above posted mentioned, cats lick themselves clean and neosporin contains ingredients that are not recommended for kitties to ingest as this puts them at risk of more serious side effects. It is also not the most suitable antibiotic for an infected wound in cats.

HTH

Partner wideguy

Jan 18, 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #10 of 12 (804 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RockRingtail] Neosporin for a cat?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys.

RRT yes, I meant the declaw had grown back into the paw, by almost a 1/4" or so. (I'm usually my better about checking those.Unsure) He was one unhappy cat while I was trying to cut that and get the embedded piee out, let me tell you.

SJM, These Dewclaws are hidden deep between the paw and the extra thumb. they don't reach the ground and don't extend enought to reach a scratching pad or post, so they definitely need intervention.

Partner epoch

Jan 18, 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #11 of 12 (800 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chad,

From my experience with animals (7 cats, 5 dogs, various horses, and cattle) the thing that has worked the best is Bag Balm. Its made for your critters and unless your cat is psychotic it shouldn't like the taste. Bandage up that paw to keep the gunk out of it for a day or two and apply some Bag Balm. You can't miss it, it's in a cube shaped green tin with a cow on the cap.

Plus it does wonders for dry chapped skin from climbing. I keep a small tin of it in my FA kit.

Image is hot linked to the web site. You should be able to find it at any pharmacy or pet store.

RockRingtail

Jan 18, 2007, 12:41 PM
Post #12 of 12 (798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
Thanks guys.

RRT yes, I meant the declaw had grown back into the paw, by almost a 1/4" or so. (I'm usually my better about checking those.Unsure) He was one unhappy cat while I was trying to cut that and get the embedded piee out, let me tell you.

OK, what does the wound (I'm assuming the skin was broken) look like (depth, size, tissue colour, any redness, swelling, pus, oozing, bleeding or discolouration? How deep was the claw embedded?

If there are any signs of infection, any lameness or if the wound is more than a skin wound... kitty needs to see a vet to get some antibiotics, topical antibiotics won't provide sufficient cover.

If you are dealing with what is essentially a minor skin wound, keep it clean by bathing it with lukewarm sterile saline/water (tap water if you don't have that) mixed with betadine so that it is the colour of weak tea. Use a moistened swab, or if you have it, a syringe to squirt it onto the wound. The betadine is antibacterial. If you have any silvazine cream (silver sulphadiazine + chlorhexidine digluconate - don't know what the trade name would be in the states), you can put a thin layer of this onto the wound. It will keep it moist and also has antibacterial properties.

Keep kitty indoors if possible untill the skin has healed over, this will help keep the wound clean. You can consider a bandage, however cats rarely appreciate having their paws bandaged and will do their best to get it off. You would also need to be VERY vigilant that you are not blocking kitties circulation- keep a good eye on those toes, make sure they are not swelling up and remove the bandage immediately if they are. I would suggest just a simple swab over the area with a squidge of betadine ointment or silvazine cream to keep the wound moist/prevent sticking and a light (not tight) wrap of coban. Basically just very light covering.

Your kitty may not love you for your tender care and attention but it's great that you're looking out for him/her.Wink

Any concerns.. see your vet.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook