RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

macblaze

Jan 30, 2007, 1:28 AM
Post #1 of 5 (912 views)
Shortcut

biology of sore muscles?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I ruptured by A2 pulley in the first week of December so I have been doing zero climbing (and truth be told zero physical activity besides walking.) Previous to the injury I was climbing twice a week and doing good on overhanging stuff and some nice pumpy routes without much muscle soreness.

I went climbing last wednesday to try out the hand and on Sunday I went back and put a little effort into it: tried some juggy overhanging climbs and some easy leads. Today I am sore. Pec's, triceps, those muscles that band across your ribs...all sore.

So the question is, was 7 or so weeks enough to lose that much conditioning? Just what was happening biologically speaking? Would stretching have helped? Teach me O' knowledgable ones...

Partner angry

Jan 30, 2007, 1:42 AM
Post #2 of 5 (901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macblaze] biology of sore muscles? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Without getting into the biology of it (I don't remember, I used to know it), I think it's extremely possible you lost conditioning in that time.

The longest I've ever heard of an athlete tapering is 2 weeks, and with a taper that long, they stay pretty active for the first week.

In myself, I see notable decline in about 2 weeks. After 7, I'd imagine I'd have to start over. Not quite from scratch but it's going to take a while. That initial soreness you feel is probably DOMS, that usually isn't too persistent after you're in shape.

macblaze

Jan 30, 2007, 4:31 AM
Post #3 of 5 (870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] biology of sore muscles? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
That initial soreness you feel is probably DOMS, that usually isn't too persistent after you're in shape.

Your hint (DOMS) and wikipedia and I learned something today... I love wikipedia ...who knew I had sarcomeres!Laugh

(This post was edited by macblaze on Jan 30, 2007, 5:28 AM)

thomasribiere

Jan 30, 2007, 11:41 AM
Post #4 of 5 (846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are different types of soreness : lost of stretchiness, local acidosis, muscular fibers lesions, inflammations, and other ones... I don't know which type(s) is(are) responsible of your pain today.
A muscle is not only a muscle, and a muscle can use different metabolic pathways, so...

aerili

Feb 10, 2007, 6:37 PM
Post #5 of 5 (648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, 7 weeks was enough to lose most of that conditioning. No, stretching will not do jack for strength maintenance.

In general, cardiovascular conditioning reverses faster than muscular strength gains, but within 4-12 weeks you will be back at baseline (pre-climbing levels). The more highly trained you are, the sharper the declines will be initially. The more of a couch potato you are, the more it seems apparent you can maintain your general strength levels longer (but I guess that ain't saying much).

Don't go try to hit it like you did the day you last climbed. Detraining is a bitch.

(This post was edited by aerili on Feb 10, 2007, 6:42 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook