Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

alxg

Feb 12, 2007, 4:08 PM
Post #1 of 27 (16287 views)
Shortcut

Harness Hang Syndrome
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

has anyone heard of this?

what i understand about it is that: cllimber gets injured can't move around and is in a sitting position...because of the way harnesses work after 15 minutes that otherwise healthy person will become unconcious, after 30 minutes they will die.
evidently, the blood pools in the legs and becomes toxic. the kicker to this is that how many of us have been taught to tie off the climber and go for help.
also, someone who has been hanging, not moving, in their harness should not be immediatley lowered and lain prone. you have to do this in small doses because the toxic blood that has pooled in the legs then goes up to the heart and pumped to the rest of the body and BAM. laying them down slowly will allow the toxic stuff to mix with the good stuff slowly.
it's not something that happens a lot, but there have been numerous deaths attributed to harness hang syndrome.

clee03m

Feb 12, 2007, 4:59 PM
Post #2 of 27 (16275 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alxg] Harness Hang Syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why lady's room?

I think highly unlikely, but I'm not about to do a literature search. Something like this happens when the aorta is cross-clamped for major surgeries like an arortic aneurysm repair. Acidotic blood returns to the circuit causing lower blood pressure, etc. Still not BAM patient drops dead (or we wouldn't be doing these surgeries). But with a harness? Like I said, I really doubt it, but I don't know.

granite_grrl

Feb 12, 2007, 5:21 PM
Post #3 of 27 (16263 views)
Shortcut

Re: Harness Hang Syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not a bad subject, but it would get more exposure in a different forum (I'm sure it'll be moved soon enough).

I've heard of it before, but mostly in referance to cavers. I have never heard of it happening to a climber....but I also haven't been involved with many rescue operations.

alxg

Feb 12, 2007, 5:42 PM
Post #4 of 27 (16259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Harness Hang Syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i just did a search and found some really good info on this in a couple of other areas on this website.
I wasn't referring to a controlled surgical situation where you have trained medical staff and other stuff at hand to deal with the situation. I'm referring to being out in a wilderness setting with limited resources and suddenly being in a very stressful situation.
And yes a harness, evidently even a healthy person, in a laboratory situation, became "stressed" after 3 minutes. The syndrome can also show up a bit latter when the "toxic" blood hits other vital organs (ie; kidneys)
Why the ladies forum?
Because I wanted to share this info with other women and:
1. to stress the importance of knowing and understanding self/leader rescue.
2. that, when i first started, I had been taught that the way to handle a fallen leader was to escape the belay, tie the leader off, and go for help. And, until just recently, hadn't been aware of such a situation.
3. <this one is touchy> how many times, as women and/or noobs, have we gone out thinking "oh, my partner is more experienced I just have to know how to belay. I can just go enjoy the day nothing will happen anyway." <i've been there myself! but now that I've been climbing awhile know that that line of thinking is dwarnism at it's finest.>

Partner cracklover

Feb 12, 2007, 7:02 PM
Post #5 of 27 (16239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Harness Hang Syndrom is real, and it has killed climbers. Kudos for bringing it up, since until recently, this issue has been little known, even to some rescue personnel (with dire consequences).

A few important practical notes I've gleaned from reading the literature:

1 - If the fallen climber is conscious, and can raise the legs up, and/or push against the wall with the legs, either will be enough to prevent HHS. The action of the large muscles in the legs will act as a pump to keep the blood moving back into the body.

2 - If the climber is unconscious and it's not feasible to lower them to a ledge immediately, improvising with a sling to hold their legs up before going for help may save their life.

3 - HHS is not a *freak* occurrence. In studies where subjects were forced to hang motionless, *nearly all* subjects developed early symptoms of HHS very quickly. I've only read of one case in which the subject did not have substantial symptoms within 30 minutes. In one case, the symptoms came on so fast (within a 10 minutes) and so seriously, that despite the subject being under constant monitoring, an unanticipated medical emergency arose, and they stopped all the testing.

alxg wrote:
3. <this one is touchy> how many times, as women and/or noobs, have we gone out thinking "oh, my partner is more experienced I just have to know how to belay. I can just go enjoy the day nothing will happen anyway." <i've been there myself! but now that I've been climbing awhile know that that line of thinking is dwarnism at it's finest.>

I've known plenty of men who act this way, too, but you're right, it's more prevalent among women.

If you're a woman who sometimes takes this approach, all I can say is:

1 - you better be right! I've seen some women who had total faith in their man, and he was doing things that could get them both and/or people around them killed. Once nearly took the long ride myself due to climbing too close to such a party.
And
2 - Accidents happen. If Superman has a stroke while he's carrying Lois around, you better believe she's gonna fall right out of the sky.

No-one is ever with an equal partner. The best parties have complementary skills. But it's unwise to be *completely* incapable of looking after yourself and your partner should the shit hit the fan.

Again, HHS is a serious potential issue for climbers. To the best I can understand from the literature, HHS ends in death if it goes untreated for an hour or so, and in some cases quite a bit less time is needed. But I encourage folks not to take my word on this one - search the literature and learn about it yourself.

Cheers!

GO

stymingersfink

Feb 13, 2007, 2:31 AM
Post #6 of 27 (16191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Harness Hang Syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Harness Hang Syndrom is real, and it has killed climbers. Kudos for bringing it up, since until recently, this issue has been little known, even to some rescue personnel (with dire consequences).
<snip>

Again, HHS is a serious potential issue for climbers. To the best I can understand from the literature, HHS ends in death if it goes untreated for an hour or so, and in some cases quite a bit less time is needed. But I encourage folks not to take my word on this one - search the literature and learn about it yourself.

Cheers!

GO

From the stuff I was reading on the subject several years ago, most conscious+immobilised test subjects forced to sit in a harness are verging on pass-out within ten minutes or so. Conscious and mobile people tend to make small, almost unnoticable movement to alleviate the lack of circulation, while an unconscious person left hanging for even fifteen minutes would probably be dead.

Brush up on your self-rescue theory+practice, and insist your partners do too. You will not have the time to figure things out when the situation ocurs, so it must become second-nature. The life you save may be your own, your partners, or just someone unlucky enough to have trusted an ill-prepared or ill informed "expert" on a route near you.

lhwang

Feb 13, 2007, 6:08 AM
Post #7 of 27 (16167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd take any info you find on this website with a grain of salt (how ironic, I know, given what I'm about to say).

The best papers I've read on this (clee03m, I'm a family med resident so I have way too much time on my hands lately Wink) suggest that harness hang syndrome is probably due to pooling of blood in the veins in the legs. This essentially has the same effect as massive blood loss and results in shock. It also sounds like it's partly a vasovagal response as well.

As far as I know, renal failure after hanging in a harness is due to hypoxia during the event, not a massive release of toxins. I'm also kind of skeptical about the role of "toxins" in death after lying someone down suddenly after they've been hanging in a harness for a prolonged period of time. The more likely explanation is probably overload of the circulatory system (ie right ventricular failure).

Thanks for starting this thread... you're right that not enough people know about it.

There is a good article (very lengthy!) at http://adventureguides.com.au/...s%20Syn%20Report.pdf

Partner cracklover

Feb 13, 2007, 3:28 PM
Post #8 of 27 (16131 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Harness Hang Syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
I'm also kind of skeptical about the role of "toxins" in death after lying someone down suddenly after they've been hanging in a harness for a prolonged period of time. The more likely explanation is probably overload of the circulatory system (ie right ventricular failure).

I would agree with you based on the people with no other serious injuries who suddenly dropped dead when lain down from that situation. *However*, there have also been cases where people have suffered complications in various organs days after the fact. That's where the theory of toxic blood came from.

BTW, from the studies I've looked at, they suggest putting a person who's likely suffering from HHS into a *sitting* position, if possible, rather than lying down, to try to prevent the sudden rush of blood to the heart lhwang mentions.

GO

clee03m

Feb 13, 2007, 6:59 PM
Post #9 of 27 (16107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alxg wrote:

I really hate these blanket statement about women climbers. Women and/or noobs? I didn't realize we are interchangeable. I think this thread should be moved to general or beginner since it really doesn't have relevance specifically to women.

Only study I found on the subject:

Wilderness Environ Med. 1996 May;7(2):109-14. Links
Cardiorespiratory response to free suspension simulating the situation between fall and rescue in a rock climbing accident.Roeggla M, Brunner M, Michalek A, Gamper G, Marschall I, Hirschl MM, Laggner AN, Roeggla G.
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Vienna, Austria.

Many factors contribute to the risk of late death after successful rescue in a rock climbing accident. One factor may be hemodynamic and respiratory compromise by free suspension in a rope between fall and rescue. The risk probably results from using a chest harness alone or the combination of a chest harness and a sit harness. No trials on the acute cardiorespiratory response to free suspension in rock climbing have been reported so far. The effect of 3 min free suspension in a chest harness or in a sit harness on cardiopulmonary parameters was investigated in a randomized, cross-over trial in six healthy volunteers in a simulated rock climbing accident. Measurements were performed before and during the suspension at an altitude of 171 m. No statistical change in cardiopulmonary parameters was observed after free suspension in the sit harness. After free suspension in the chest harness, mean forced vital capacity decreased by 34.3% and mean forced expiratory volume decreased by 30.6%. No statistical change of arterial oxygen saturation occurred and mean end-tidal carbon dioxide increased by 11.5%. Mean heart rate decreased by 11.7%, mean systolic blood pressure decreased by 27.6%, mean diastolic blood pressure decreased by 13.1%, and mean cardiac output decreased by 36.4%. The p value for all reported changes was <0.05. We conclude that free suspension in a chest harness leads to a dramatic impairment of hemodynamics and respiration. This may contribute to the risk of a fatal outcome if rescue is not timely.

May be this study is relevant to women, though, since pregnant women tend to wear chest harness and with increased blood volume and decrease venous return, may be that right heart failure would be more likely.

Partner cracklover

Feb 13, 2007, 8:47 PM
Post #10 of 27 (16098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m, your poor skills at searching for studies notwithstanding, I'm boggled at how a health professional such as yourself could be so interested in poo-pooing what is a very serious health risk.

A google search for "harness hang syndrome" returns 137,000 hits. Even if you didn't get past the very first one... http://www.texasroperescue.com/...0Hang%20Syndrome.htm

... you'd get a quick overview. Here are a few excerpts:
In reply to:
HHS, the rapid loss of consciousness followed by death due to hanging immobile in a harness, happens in ALL harnesses and ascending systems. Someone hanging immobile in a seat harness is a serious medical emergency that must be dealt with immediately...
First, hanging immobile in a seat harness is the root cause of HHS....
Second, someone hanging immobile in a harness - any harness - is a dire medical emergency

A more in-depth look at the studies is available here: http://adventureguides.com.au/SAR%20HHS.htm

It made use of 50 studies on the subject. Some of the best studies are also available independently.

No, this is not an issue specific to women. And standing up for women's strenght as climbers is admirable. But using that position to try to invalidate this issue is, um, "unfortunate" at best.

Cheers,

GO

htotsu

Feb 13, 2007, 9:15 PM
Post #11 of 27 (16092 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
clee03m, your poor skills at searching for studies notwithstanding, I'm boggled at how a health professional such as yourself could be so interested in poo-pooing what is a very serious health risk.

But using that position to try to invalidate this issue is, um, "unfortunate" at best.
Whoa, whoa, Crack, where exactly did she do that? She said it should be moved, not deleted. In her first post she said she didn't know about this syndrome, and would check on it. In her second she noted that it may or may not have specific relevance to women, thus this thread may be better in another forum.

I don't see where she dismissed it as a health concern. Before taking a rude tone and criticizing someone's searching skills, perhaps you should actually read the posts that are right here, and that don't require a search.

lhwang

Feb 13, 2007, 9:17 PM
Post #12 of 27 (16090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with clee03m's objection to this being a women-specific issue. I also blinked twice at the "women and/or noobs" remark.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that as a fellow health professional myself, I don't think clee03m is trying to poo poo the issue. I have a fair amount of skepticism when it comes to harness hang syndrome, and studies like the one clee03m cites are part of the reason why. Providing the full story (incuding contradictory evidence) is not poo pooing. It's just being fair (ha, I wrote poo poo three times!).

Not to mention, clee03m's is a RCT published in a peer-reviewed journal as opposed to a random article from texasroperescue.com (I don't generally base my medical practice on the top link on google).

I also have to say that as a medical professional, no offense to the OP, but this kind of post drives me crazy as I feel it's sensationalist and produces a lot of disproportionate fear without any real evidence to support it.

ETA: And lest anyone think that I'm saying there is no real evidence for harness hang syndrome, I'm not saying that.

(This post was edited by lhwang on Feb 13, 2007, 9:20 PM)

Partner cracklover

Feb 13, 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #13 of 27 (16070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well when she posted the following:

clee03m wrote:
Only study I found on the subject:
<study about hanging from chest harness in which subjects are mostly still fine after 3 minutes>
May be this study is relevant to women, though, since pregnant women tend to wear chest harness and with increased blood volume and decrease venous return, may be that right heart failure would be more likely.

... it certainly appears that she is suggesting that only minimal study has been done on this minor issue, and the study suggests that HHS is only an issue when the subject is hanging from a chest harness, and anyway the only folks who *might* be affected are pregnant women. This could not be further from the truth.

Just because one study with six participants didn't see substantive issues in 3 minutes, you think it's wise to call the whole thing a sham?

As for the larger issue:
In reply to:
Providing the full story (incuding contradictory evidence) is not poo pooing. It's just being fair

It sure doesn't sound like either of you are interested in providing the full story. Especially when you say things like this:

In reply to:
Not to mention, clee03m's is a RCT published in a peer-reviewed journal as opposed to a random article from texasroperescue.com (I don't generally base my medical practice on the top link on google).

The point was not that texasroperescue is the authoritative source, the point is that the information is ample and serious. To quote from a study available online at http://adventureguides.com.au/...s%20Syn%20Report.pdf
In reply to:
Although it was commonly thought that research into suspension trauma was very limited, it was discovered during the course of this review that work had been carried out and papers published in 1968, 1972, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1991, 1997 and 1998. All these documents are reviewed, revealing ample evidence of the existence of the condition.

Or are you of the opinion that if a quick search in pubmed doesn't say it's real, it must not be?

I'm not a health professional. If those of you who are care to look at the fifty studies referenced at http://adventureguides.com.au/...s%20Syn%20Report.pdf and explain why the authors' conclusions from those studies are 180 degrees off-base, I would be most happy to be enlightened. If you just want to take pot-shots at a random texas rescue organization that happens to be taking seriously the literature that is out there, then I don't think you have much to add.

If the fact that I'm a guy in the women's room is what's fueling the animosity, I'm happy to leave. Your place, your rules.

GO

lhwang

Feb 13, 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #14 of 27 (16066 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Again, I'm not calling this a sham (can't speak for clee03m). And I'm obviously interested in providing the full story given that I provided a link to the exact same pdf that you keep reposting in my very first post on this topic (the HSE report at adventureguides.com.au, so obviously, no, it's not just a matter of a quick search on pubmed for me).

If you read the HSE report carefully, you'll note that of the 52 references, only a handful are published in peer-reviewed journals and of those, most of those are case reports.

Again, as I repeated in my last post, I'm not disputing the existence of harness hang syndrome. But is there room for more research? Definitely. Are there inconsistencies in the current theory that need clarification? Without a doubt.

(This post was edited by lhwang on Feb 13, 2007, 11:16 PM)

erisspirit

Feb 13, 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #15 of 27 (16059 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
and anyway the only folks who *might* be affected are pregnant women. This could not be further from the truth.

I don't think she meant the ONLY people that would be affected is pregnant women...the OP put this in the womens forum but it is not women specific at all. I think she was just giving a little credit in that at least that study could be applied to a women specific issue (pregnant women use full body harnesses).

I don't really think this should be in the womens forum either. In is interesting and informative, but not something that only affects women. The 3 reasons the OP gave are not at all women specific. Anyone can and do go out climbing without all the information they should

(This post was edited by erisspirit on Feb 13, 2007, 11:31 PM)

Partner cracklover

Feb 13, 2007, 11:41 PM
Post #16 of 27 (16053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Harness Hang Syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

erisspirit wrote:
cracklover wrote:
and anyway the only folks who *might* be affected are pregnant women. This could not be further from the truth.

I don't think she meant the ONLY people that would be affected is pregnant women...the OP put this in the womans forum but it is not women specific at all. I think she was just giving a little credit in that at least that study could be applied to a women specific issue (pregnant women use full body harnesses).

You're probably right, and that's what she meant. Surely I must have misunderstood her, and she didn't mean to dismiss the topic so offhandedly.

In reply to:
If you read the HSE report carefully, you'll note that of the 52 references, only a handful are published in peer-reviewed journals and of those, most of those are case reports.

I did notice that. It appears that most of the studies, while they were conducted by doctors, were organized (and presumably sponsored) by either the military, outdoor organizations, or construction-safety organizations. I'm guessing that none of these organizations publish in peer-reviewed medical journals, and I agree that that's unfortunate.

Nevertheless, the evidence, while not bulletproof, does seem pretty convincing to me. What evidence is there to the contrary?

GO

alxg

Feb 14, 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #17 of 27 (16046 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Harness Hang Syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You're right it is not a gender specific issue. I hadn't even thought of pregnant climbers because the pregnant climbers that I have been around used a waist harness below their belly.
My husband and I are about to teach a self rescue class for our climbing club and we came across HHS doing additional research. When we (hubby and I) first started discussing this I poo-pooed it myself because most leader falls I have seen have been because their gear had blown and they do a backward "swan dive". I also figured that if you're climbing and get knocked out you would not neccessarily be in a sitting position but more of a curved type shape with the middle being the high point (I don't know the stats on this one and have never seen a leader knocked out before so this was/is speculation on my part).
The reason I put the question out there in the "Ladies Room" is that, since I am a woman, I wanted to know if other women climbers had heard of HHS. That is one of the reasons I thought the Ladies Room was here, so women climbers had a place they felt comfortable asking questions of other women. Sorry if I misunderstood the point of this discussion platform.

lhwang

Feb 14, 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #18 of 27 (16045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, there's the study clee03m cited which, while not perfect (you said so yourself, limited sample size, maybe not enough time suspended), found no acute cardiorespiratory changes after 3 minutes of suspension. The abstract also makes note that no trials on the acute cardiorespiratory response to free suspension in rock climbing have been reported so far.

Rereading the HSE report, I can only find one study which talks about "modern" climbing harnesses (ie sit harnesses) as opposed to parachute harnesses, waist belts, full body harnesses, or chest harnesses. On page 8 of the report, they talk about testing full body harnesses as well as 2 sit harnesses, and then give a list of adverse events. In 65 cases, there were 2 cases of loss of consciousness, but they don't tell you whether this occurred in a sit harness or full body harness.

There is also a study described on caving sit harnesses, on page 10, which had 3 test subjects as opposed to the 6 in clee03m's study. These 3 test subjects were allowed to hang for up to 30 minutes and all experienced significant distress, so maybe the subjects in clee03m's study just weren't allowed to hang long enough.

Kind of leaves a question mark in my mind, if you ask me.

Partner cracklover

Feb 14, 2007, 3:25 AM
Post #19 of 27 (16022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a link with a bunch of medical references. http://www.suspensiontrauma.info/links/references.php

The references in the Paul Sedden article to sit-harnesses alone that I noticed were the following:

In reply to:
In 1979, B A Nelson published the results of suspension tests by experienced climbers in an
article in the American climbing magazine Off Belay [13]. Four different models of sit harness
and one full body harness were used, plus a self-made sit harness formed from 25 mm wide
webbing, known as a Swiss seat harness and also a direct tie -in to the climbing rope using a
bowline-on-the-coil. The subjects were told to avoid moving while suspended.
A total of 65 tests were carried out. The mean suspension times ranged from 24 seconds for the
bowline-on-the-coil to just over 17 minutes in one of the sit harnesses. The maximum
suspension time for any test subject was 28 minutes in a (different) sit harness.
A variety of adverse effects were experienced in the 65 tests. These included lower body
numbness (25 cases), intense pain (21 cases), respiratory distress (8 cases), uncontrollable
shaking (4 cases), change in blood pressure (3 cases), loss of consciousness (2 cases), weak
pulse (1 case), and upper body numbness (1 case). The two cases of loss of consciousness
occurred despite efforts to terminate the suspension prior to loss of consciousness. The
suspension tests were also terminated in the event of severe pain, abnormally rapid heart rate,
numbness of the extremities or narrowing of the pulse pressure. Narrowing of the pulse pressure
was caused by harnesses that caused pain in the groin area, which was almost universally after
hanging vertically, but especially in the case of the full body harnesses.

The report led the Commission to consider the possibility of a new factor potentially responsible
for the cause of death: suspension in a sit harness. A test programme, sponsored by the Medical
Commission, was set up in 1984. The programme, carried out by M Amphoux, J Bariod, B
Théry et al, was to study the effects of hanging motionless while suspended in a harness, in the
same way that a caver, climber, or worker would be, if exhausted or unconscious [15], [16].
The results of the first few tests were so dramatic that they were stopped before they were
completed. “The first two volunteers fainted and experienced serious difficulties, one after only
six minutes of hanging.” [15], [16].
In this experiment, according to Bariod and Théry (1997) [17], two cavers were suspended with
instructions to avoid any movement. In each case, the onset of unconsciousness was observed
after 30 and seven minutes respectively, which necessitated brief resuscitation. The potential for
serious consequences following the phenomenon observed forced the interruption of the other
experiments that had been planned.
For the first time, they said, it could be confirmed that hanging motionless in a safety harness
used for caving could cause serious physiopathological disorders alone.
The test programme was re-established in 1986, this time in the Laboratory for Sports
Physiology of the University Clinic of Besançon/Doubs in France, with the full use of its
facilities. It was possible to monitor pulse, blood pressure, continuous electrocardiogram,11
electroencephalogram,12 and to conduct blood tests, including blood gases.
There were three human test subjects. The first was positioned in what would be a “real”
situation for an unconscious caver in a sit harness: his head in hyperextension (extension beyond
its normal limit), with his legs dangling under the level of his heart. The second test subject
wore a surgical collar to exclude the hyperextension and the third test subject had his legs
horizontal but with his head in hyperextension like the first.
After a period of between 12 and 30 minutes, all three subjects experienced considerable
difficulties. The first felt faint after ten minutes. The pulse had increased and blood pressure,
normal at 120/80, increased to 180/120. The subject felt faint, with hot flushes, paleness,
sweating and breathlessness. The hyperextension of the head was painful, and led to a quicker
faintness. A manual correction of the head hyperextension eased the problems, but within five
minutes the pulse accelerated again as well as blood pressure. The subject was released. In the
second case, the subject managed 20 minutes before becoming faint and the decision was taken
to disconnect him.
In the third case, the subject fainted, in spite the medical attention around him. This happened
even though the legs were in a high position.

Cheers,

GO

Partner cracklover

Feb 14, 2007, 3:31 AM
Post #20 of 27 (16020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lhwang wrote:
Kind of leaves a question mark in my mind, if you ask me.

A question mark is good! I have a big question mark, too as to what the exact parameters around this are. But I'm also convinced *enough* that if the issue arises, I'm damn well not going to leave my partner hanging immobile any longer than I can help it.

By the way, you and I may not be 100% convinced, but OSHA is. A little searching turned up tons of OSHA bulletins. Of course that may be based on nothing more than the Seddon report, I don't know.

GO

clee03m

Feb 14, 2007, 5:41 PM
Post #21 of 27 (15971 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hoa! No need to start hurdling personal insults.

First, the reason I posted the abstract was because I didn't think that the post belonged in the Lady's Room and thought I would attempt to at least bring some relevance. Thanks for moving the thread.

Second, I wasn't discounting this syndrome all together. Merely asking the validity. I found physiology discussed in the the first post about "toxic" blood unlikely. Even after I looked up this syndrome, I didn't find a whole lot on reputable medical search engines like pubmed, MDconsult, uptodate, etc. Explaination in Ilwang's first post seems more convincing, and again, I am not saying it doesn't happen, but I think everyone need to take information they see online with a grain of salt. How can you be certain that after a climbing accident, the only reason a person dies was due to "suspension trauma"? Kidney failure that is likely due to rhabdo from crush injuey may be from being suspended or from having crush injuries from the fall. Isn't it possible that the cause is multifactorial?

And the reason I posted my skepticism was because the way this topic was approached seemed a bit sensationalist. Scaring people by saying if you leave your partner hanging they will certainly drop dead seems dangerous. I would not really want people to believe that under no circumstances should you leave your partner suspended. I read that excessive extension of the head may be one of the reason people don't survive rock fall. This chair position may worsen the extension of the head. Again, not saying this chair position is bad... People may be so scared from reading some of the posts that they may insist on hauling down their partner even if they may have brain or spinal injury. After reading about this topic, I will use my best judgement if were to happen, but probably will think twice about leaving someone suspended for long period of time.

Partner j_ung

Feb 14, 2007, 5:48 PM
Post #22 of 27 (15961 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Without getting into the specifics of this discussion, my understanding is that climbers were pretty late to the HHS bandwagon. I think I first read of something similar in crush injuries where a victim loses circulation to a body part, is pulled free by well-meaning rescuers, says thank you and then drops dead inexplicably. OSHA also has some informative literature on what they refer to as suspension trauma.

Don't doubt this is real. It is.

majid_sabet

Feb 14, 2007, 6:28 PM
Post #23 of 27 (15916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Harness Hang Syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wrote an accident report on caving accident where two climbers got killed due to HHS. If any one is interested on HSS topic, you should look for the pervious posting in RC A&I section. If you want to get to bottom of this topic, you could also contact UK Dept. of industrial safety, Dept of industrial safety in France, Petzl research office in France, U.S. Air force and U.S. Army and recently some medical DR from Australia did a similar research on this topic.

Why military was so interested on HHS?

Well, they noticed on few cases that their parachute jumpers experienced dizziness and got disoriented after they landed from an airplane parachute jump, and symptoms were unknown at the time .Later, the U.S. Air force did their own investigation on parachute harnesses and the HHS effect.

Note

Jay is also correct, OSHA does have few notes on HHS but Europeans were ahead every one else on this subject, especially cavers in France got very interested on HHS. I may even have a documentary film on this topic , not sure if it was made by petzl or another company ( can't remember the name), if I found in my collection I will post the name here .

HHS is a serious problem but many climbers are not aware of it.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Feb 14, 2007, 11:54 PM)

troutboy

Feb 15, 2007, 3:01 PM
Post #24 of 27 (15814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Harness Hang Syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not wanting to debate the HHS issue, but I'll add this info:

The reason HHS is more common in caving than other harness-related sports is that hypothermia is almost always a contributing factor in caving, resulting in immobilization of the victim.

Add in exhaustion from a long caving trip and rope ascending problems are magnified.

Finally, the difficulty of a cave rescue can often delay rescue times, leaving a person hanging on the rope for longer times and increasing the risk of hypothermia, possibly followed by HHS.

TS

waynew

Feb 16, 2007, 6:06 PM
Post #25 of 27 (15719 views)
Shortcut

Re: [troutboy] Harness Hang Syndrome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Troutboy you make a good point; but climbers get tired and stressed too - maybe more likely to be overheated and dehydrated than cold though(?)
Folks: I'm not a medical professional like some of those posting above, but I've read enough to take this pretty seriously.
As I understand it, a lot of the problems are coming from the toxicity issues caused by blood being unable to circulate (the return pumps aren't involuntary) and shed wastes from normal metabolism while becoming recharged with oxygen. Combine that with the volumetric return to a compensating body and problems arise - notwithstanding exhaustion and the original injury!
Think that makes sense...
Thanks to the OP for bringing this up
Edited to remove the reply notification...

(This post was edited by waynew on Feb 16, 2007, 7:04 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook