Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bigfatrock

Feb 12, 2007, 4:44 PM
Post #1 of 37 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Quick and easy meals
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Since this is food related I wasn't sure if it should go under training or not so I thought I would just throw it in here.

Anyway, I am starting to get more serious about my training so that means I will have a lot less time to cook meals in the evening and still have time left over to take care of other responsibilities and hang out with friends.

So does anybody have any tasty meals they want to share that are quick and easy to make? I have a few that I like to make, but need more variety.

a few that I make:

Chicken Tortilla Pizza - just plop a tortilla on a plate, put some sauce on the tortilla, top with cheese and then either put the vacuume sealed chicken on it or if I have time I cook up some real chicken.

Tuna Calzone - Simply open a can of biscuits and flatten them out really thin, fill them with tuna and shredded cheese then fold over like a calzone. Cook in oven as the instructions for the biscuits say.

Italian Sausage Sandwich - Not that quick to make, but easy. I chop up some onions and occasionally green peppers, throw them into a small pan and let them simmer, while that is going on I cook some sausage in a skillet (draining the grease often). Then I throw that all into a nice bun, top with sauce and occasionally cheese and then throw that in the toaster oven for a couple minutes.

And as you can see I also need some more healthy selections :)

styleboy

Feb 12, 2007, 4:47 PM
Post #2 of 37 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Quick and easy meals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorites are cottage cheese, tuna + a little miracle whip, boil like 18 eggs and eat em whenever. Can't forget the protein shakes for the go...

Dillbag

Feb 12, 2007, 4:55 PM
Post #3 of 37 (1543 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey BFR...

Check out http://www.cookinglight.com... They have a lot of great recipes and tend toward the healthier side of things...

Also, something that I like to do is prepare a large meal like a lasagna, baked ziti or some other type of casserole dish... Find a healthier version of these and take the time one night a week, and you'll have awesome left-overs for those late night sessions!

Usually make a large salad the same night, and then have the left-overs from that too... comes out cheaper than using the "half-prepared" foods from the store too!

(This post was edited by Dillbag on Feb 12, 2007, 4:57 PM)

kane_schutzman

Feb 12, 2007, 5:06 PM
Post #4 of 37 (1521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dillbag] Quick and easy meals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Microwavable Oatmeal.

granite_grrl

Feb 12, 2007, 5:09 PM
Post #5 of 37 (1517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dillbag] Quick and easy meals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rather than going for really quick meals, I prefer to go by volume.

I like thinks like curries, pad thai (sauce from packages), noodle dishes, bean and rice burretos, chilli. For a single person these dishes will last 3-6 meals.

If my muscles are really worked then its nice to throw back a banada and protien poweder with mile.

I should probobly get more protien in my diet, but I like rice, its a great cheap filler.

clee03m

Feb 12, 2007, 5:20 PM
Post #6 of 37 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For protein, marinate chicken breast with italian dressing (fat free). Put some holes in the chicken with forks and then bake in the oven at 375 or so until it's cooked. Takes no time at all. If you are really lazy, cut up some tofu and dip it in soy sauce.

For veggies, put a frozen bag of broccolli (or choice veggie) in a microwave and zap for about 2 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Whole grains, microwave oatmeal.

If you are going for unhealthy and can stand spicy, try ramen noodles in the Korean variety. I swear it's better than your typical variety at the grocery isle.

Like granite girl, I tend to do volume than easy, too. Once a week, I cook for about 5 hours cooking complicated but delicious dishes and eat it for the rest of the week. If I cook about 3 dishes, it doesn't really feel like left over eating it over the week.

dynosore

Feb 12, 2007, 5:22 PM
Post #7 of 37 (1495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my favorites is a simple chicken recipe. Take boneless chicken breasts, lay in a baking pan, season, and top with stove top and mushroom soup mixed together.

Get a crock pot, dinner is done when you get home.

Fish too, quick to prepare and quite healthy. Place a fillet skin side down on tinfoil, season with brown sugar and lime juice, sounds strange but it's really good. Or top it with raspberry preserves. Fish chowder is ez and good, you'll have leftovers. Also, cook fish or fake crab meat (it's cheap and easy to get) in a sauce mixture of milk, goat cheese, and cracked black pepper. I could go on and on, but the basic building blocks are boneless, lowfat meat, and whatever seasonings float yer boat. Put it on rice or noodles.

coastal_climber

Feb 12, 2007, 6:17 PM
Post #8 of 37 (1436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] Quick and easy meals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The army has these packets (now avaliable to public) you add cold water to the packet, and a chemicla reaction takes place, heating, and cooking the contents. The name of it slips my mind right now, but I will try to track down the name.

>Cam

andypro

Feb 12, 2007, 6:21 PM
Post #9 of 37 (1431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slop. Definitely need slop. Takes about 15 mintues to make at the longest...

1) put water on to boil for instant rice.

2) while waiting for water to boil, bust out your frying pan and start scrambling some eggs. Make sure you put milk or your favorite substitute into the eggs.

3)hopefully water is boiling. drop in rice, turn off heat to eggs.

4) whille rice is "steeping" get out the rest of your ingredients. Technically, slop can be made out of anyhting, but I like corn, cheese, and sometimes some meat chunks. Get them all out and chop/dice any vegetables and break up the cheese into small chunks. Also make sure you chop the crap outta your eggs.

5) rice is done. Dump it into the frypan with the eggs, add some soy sauce, lightly "fry" the rice witht he eggs mixing up very well. Start tossin in the rest of the stuff, but save the cheese for last! It has to melt and mix in without burning, and that can be tough sometimes, so I just make it the last thing I put it.

6) serve.

You can pretty muhc put anyhting in there. Broccli is good with cheddar. I like turkey for a meat. chopped up cold cuts work great cause they head fast, but you can use proper chunks if you like.

The beauty of slop is that you can make it any way you want! As long as it's got rice, eggs, and cheese.

--Andy P

Davey

Feb 12, 2007, 6:22 PM
Post #10 of 37 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Quick and easy meals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
The army has these packets (now avaliable to public) you add cold water to the packet, and a chemicla reaction takes place, heating, and cooking the contents. The name of it slips my mind right now, but I will try to track down the name.

>Cam

There Called a MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) and trust me they suck. The idea is good just not the food.

Meals Rejected by Everyone
Meals Rarely Edible

(This post was edited by Davey on Feb 12, 2007, 6:23 PM)

bizarrodrinker

Feb 12, 2007, 6:27 PM
Post #11 of 37 (1416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Davey] Quick and easy meals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer to cook good meals that can be package and frozen as single portions.

If you have a crock-pot you can make so many different things like soups, chili, beef stew or what ever really. They may take a bunch of hours to cook, but you only have to cook like once or twice a week.

shockabuku

Feb 12, 2007, 6:29 PM
Post #12 of 37 (1409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Meals Refusing to Exit.

coastal_climber

Feb 12, 2007, 6:33 PM
Post #13 of 37 (1400 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Quick and easy meals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Meals Refusing to Exit.

Now that would suck on a climb.

>Cam

woodpecker

Feb 12, 2007, 8:09 PM
Post #14 of 37 (1353 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the new MRE's are'nt that bad. I actually like most of them (after heated) of course that could just be and occupational hazard. Tongue

However, you cant beat the calorie load they give.

I usually break a few down with the heating sac for 2 - 4 day hikes. Most of my hikes are in the desert so water is an issue...less water to heat those than dehydrated.

Just stay away from anything that sound complicated. Angelic

andypro

Feb 12, 2007, 8:47 PM
Post #15 of 37 (1340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Quick and easy meals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hehe. Funny. Coastal climber wasn't talking about MRE's. He was talking a bout the heater for them.

Great stuff in those things. When I was in the Marines we used to blow things up with those heaters all the time. I wont say how...I'm sure plenty will, though, but I don't want dismembered people on my conciense (however that's spelled).

and MRE's are not that bad. Most people who say they're so awful have never actually eaten them in a serious manner. Some suck...most don't, and that was 10 years ago. They've got way better stuff now. Though way more strange as well...

Now if you really wanna live in the lap of field mess luxury, try to get your hands on Arctic MRE's. Oh baby that's good shtuff.

--Andy P

woodpecker

Feb 12, 2007, 9:30 PM
Post #16 of 37 (1310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andypro] Quick and easy meals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arctic MRE's = YUMMY

And we still uset he heaters to "blow" things up. I'll keep the secret as well. Nothing like throwing your heater bomb under the other countries teams and laughing your ass off when they all run out and hit the deck.

--honorary devil dog--

ryanb

Feb 12, 2007, 9:34 PM
Post #17 of 37 (1307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Scrambled eggs (or egg whites from a carton for low fat).

Microwaved Vegi burgers (get the ones with high protean low fat) with avacado, mustard.

Tuna Growlers: Bread, Bagle or Hamburger Bun with Tuna, A slice of Tomato and a slice of cheese baked so the cheese melts over everything and the bread gets toasted. User mustard instead of mayo for low fat.

Scramled Tofu (high protean tofu from trader joes is cheap! break it up into small pieces scramble with onions and soy sauce)

Ligtley fried tofu (get firm tofu without a lot of liquid or press the tofu between two plates in the fridge so the liquid drains out then put slices of it in a cast iron pan with a littel olive oil) sandwhiches.

Carbanera (sp?): put raw eggs, black pepper and grated cheese (parmasan or whatever) in a big bowl. cook pasta, small chunks of ham, chiken or sausage, and peas. get them all really hot then add them to the egg bowl so that the egg and cheese scrambles and melts all over them.

Put forzen chiken breasts in a big cast iron pan with olive oil, red and black pepper. As they thaw cut them up into strips so they cook faster. Serve with tortialls and avacado or salsa, salad mix.

Rare steak (cooked in a hot cast iron pan to seal the juice in makes cheap steak taste better, throw in some garlic and black pepper), salad mix and good bread.

When I can afford it or get some from my comercial fisherman uncle, salmon (wild pacific because farmed fish sucks!) cooked with lemon dill sauce in tinfoil in the oven.

To eat healthy I pretty much throw sald mix in everywhere i can...

bigfatrock

Feb 12, 2007, 10:23 PM
Post #18 of 37 (1286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ryanb] Quick and easy meals [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Man the MRE's are horrible. I had a consumer version from my first backpacking trip that I never used. One day I was really hungry and decided to try it. Lets just say I wasn't as hungry as I thought I was. It all went into the trash.

Ryanb for the Cabenera do you cook the Eggs and cheese before you put everything else in them? Or do you leave them raw? This meal sounds pretty tasty.

silascl

Feb 12, 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #19 of 37 (1266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a decent Carbonara recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107810

charley

Feb 12, 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #20 of 37 (1255 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see quick mentioned a cpl times in here. We have a cooker like the george forman grill, I don't know the brand. It cooks three frozen chicken breasts in twelve minutes. It takes a cpl minutes to heat up but boneless, skinless chicken breast in twelve minutes from freezer to table is pretty quick. If you thaw and marinate it's faster. You can do a vegetable in the mic while that is cooking and you have a base for a meal. We cook broccli in the mike, cut up the chicken, throw it all in a bowl with bag salad and have a meal. Watch thirty minute meals on the food channel or look it up on the net for some tips and even recipes.

andypro

Feb 12, 2007, 11:09 PM
Post #21 of 37 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bigfatrock wrote:
Man the MRE's are horrible. I had a consumer version from my first backpacking trip that I never used.

This is the point I was making earlier. Military MRE's are NOT available to the general public, no matter what the surplus houses etc would have you believe.

And yes, they are VERY different. I've had numerous "civilian MRE's" and even what was claimed to be MRE entree's which werent. They actually were pretty bad. Dont hold a candle to the real thing.

That's another thing that aggrivates me. Stores selling "MRE Entree's" like they actually came out of real MRE's. a real MRE is completely and 100% pre-packaged at the facility. They dont get split up.

So I guess what I'm tryin to say is dont knock it till you try it! and I mean really try it, not fake try it.

--Andy

Davey

Feb 12, 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #22 of 37 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

andypro wrote:
Hehe. Funny. Coastal climber wasn't talking about MRE's. He was talking a bout the heater for them.

Great stuff in those things. When I was in the Marines we used to blow things up with those heaters all the time. I wont say how...I'm sure plenty will, though, but I don't want dismembered people on my conciense (however that's spelled).

and MRE's are not that bad. Most people who say they're so awful have never actually eaten them in a serious manner. Some suck...most don't, and that was 10 years ago. They've got way better stuff now. Though way more strange as well...

Now if you really wanna live in the lap of field mess luxury, try to get your hands on Arctic MRE's. Oh baby that's good shtuff.

--Andy P

Let me rephrase that... Having 10 days worth of MRE's Air dropped in on a SAR training mission only to find out they are all spaghetti Sucks. We did blow up a few water bottlesWink

Plus at about $8.00 A meal not to cheap

(This post was edited by Davey on Feb 12, 2007, 11:13 PM)

kixx

Feb 12, 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #23 of 37 (1204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dog Food - soak for 5 minutes and eat with big spoon out of your helmet

RockRingtail

Feb 12, 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #24 of 37 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tend to cook big batches and freeze them in individual portions.. veggie lasange's & curries.

Quick meals:

Cook some pasta & microwave frozen veg mix of your choice then put them together and add tuna and sour cream.

Veggie bake: cook a packet of frozen brocolli/cauliflower in the microwave then tansfer to a large casserole dish, add tuna and a cheese bake sauce and mix it in. Sprinkle the top with grated cheese and pop it in a hot oven for 10-15 mins to brown. If you have time, cook some pasta and make it a mixed veg/pasta bake.

Basic stir fry: throw some thinly sliced meat strips into the wok with a touch of oil, salt and pepper to taste and brown the meat then put aside. Add a bunch of very roughly chopped veg and asian greens, stir. Dollop as much oyster sauce on the mix as you want and add the chicken back in. Takes about 5-6 minutes to cook as long as your wok is hot enough. If you have time, put some rice on just before you start the stir fry so that you have something to go with it.

Steak cheese melt: find a large juicy steak, cook as per usual but don't flip it too often.. you want to sear in the juiciness and then pop some cheese strips (cheddar, blue vein, whatever you prefer) on top of it and put it under the griller for a minute or two untill the cheese melts. If you like veggies too (I do) Microwave or steam some veg while the steak is cooking.

Yoghurt and fruit for dessert.

If you're really tired... add muesli to yoghurt, mix, eat. OR pick up piece of fruit, wash, eat.

tradrenn

Feb 13, 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #25 of 37 (1191 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Davey wrote:
Plus at about $8.00 A meal not to cheap

I know I can cook a diner on the road for 2 for about $ 6. ( Thank you Gowser )

If $ 8 is for one person then that is expensive.

WR

(This post was edited by tradrenn on Feb 13, 2007, 12:01 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook