Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Partner macherry

Feb 16, 2007, 4:24 AM
Post #51 of 69 (2106 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kjohnnytarr] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

kjohnnytarr wrote:
hmmmmmmmmmm...this came to mind here

http://catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=299

heh heh

qwert

Feb 16, 2007, 8:43 AM
Post #52 of 69 (2090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unreleasedenergy] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

unreleasedenergy wrote:
Do most of you guys wear your technical pieces in the city too?
since i dont buy much other stuff, i have to do it.
today it will be an arteryx fleece, with a arteryx shirt, and im a bit undecided if i will wear my arcteryx softshell atop it, or my MH hardshell. My shoes are Meindl, trezeta or la sprotiva approach shoes. My backpack is a skiing pack of berghaus's extreme line and i will arrive at the university on my dirtbike, with some freakin uge disk brakes. i guess im pretty pathetic.
why should i buy some extra stuff of mediocre quality, just for around town? and if my outdoor stuff gets destroyed from this, it wasnt worth it anyways.
my only two jackets that are not from an outdoors brand are my army parka (my father bought it used when he was as old as i am now) wich is great for going to concerts and such, and my green orange forest jacket i use when im out with my chainsaw. but it also looks quite fine around town. i think with that jacket i am really individualCool

qwert

jrox

Feb 16, 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #53 of 69 (2081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well my intent for this post wasn't to target stereotypes who wear the gear. I don't mind who pays for a quality shell/fleece. My concern is for the quality of MHW and their yearning for as much money as possible. TNF's quality went down no doubt and the sizing is rediculous now.. smalls are HUGE. They stopped installing pit-zips a few years ago and then went back to them after so many complaints. I just hope that MHW doesn't look for these same profit-increasing/quality-reducing ideas with their gear. I guess we'll see within the next 3 years or so.

kman

Feb 17, 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #54 of 69 (2052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jrox] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not really convinced that TNF quality has gone down hill...maybe for some stuff...I don't know. I have 2 Summit Series peices that are about 4 years old, a soft shell and a down jacket. Both have held up extremely well to wear and tear. I wear the down jacket in -30 with a t-shirt underneath, and it's warm as hell. Seems pretty quality.

roy_hinkley_jr

Feb 17, 2007, 12:31 AM
Post #55 of 69 (2042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kman] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kman wrote:
Seems pretty quality.

Agreed. Their high-end stuff is easily as good as Arc'teryx/Patagonia/Mtn/Hardwear/Marmot. But it's more fashionable to diss TNF so you look cool to everyone else who is a "climber."

wallwombat

Feb 17, 2007, 1:27 AM
Post #56 of 69 (2025 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it says a lot about the crappy, shallow,Pepsi-Max character of the climbing community nowadays that an asinine subject about some brand name gets more views and replies than a thread about fall factors posted around the same time.

Well i guess as long as you leave a good lookin corpse..........

Just shut up and go climbing. It doesn't matter what you wear. It doesn't matter if you wear the knitted sweater your granny made you and wear Hush Puppies. (I was about to write, 'just do it' but mercifully the irony police intervened!)

Go to Sheffield. You will see guys who climb harder than any of you and they dress like hobos who steal their clothes out of charity bins. They don't own a raincoat. They don't own a winstopper fleece.

They go climbing though!

deltav

Feb 17, 2007, 1:36 AM
Post #57 of 69 (2023 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kjohnnytarr] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The real problem is that if the companies left it up to us to suport them they would go under tomorrow, no matter how much we wanted to buy thier stuff. We are just not large enough of a market to support a company in todays retail world

puerto

Feb 18, 2007, 1:23 AM
Post #58 of 69 (1985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [euroford] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i bought my favorite backpack at the north face store on friggin michigan avenue in downtown chicago. obviously i'm not very core considering that i bought a mainstreme northface product in an area of town obviously geared towards tourists.

When I lived in Chicago walking into that store was always a trying experience.

Should I be depressed because I climb and I live in Chicago?"

Or should I just be happy that I haven't yet become the idiot walking into the Armani store across the street?

Some of those free concerts in Grant Park in the summer were pretty epic though..

Partner euroford

Feb 18, 2007, 2:12 AM
Post #59 of 69 (1974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wallwombat] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wallwombat wrote:
an asinine subject about some brand name gets more views and replies than a thread about fall factors posted around the same time.

if i have to explain fall factors one more time i'm going go postal. fuckin n00bs, go read FOTH for that stuff.

living in chicago rocks, it makes all of your climbing achievements seam that much more profound.

styleboy

Feb 18, 2007, 2:21 AM
Post #60 of 69 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dynosore

Feb 18, 2007, 2:26 AM
Post #61 of 69 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bcm3u] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The problem lies when you have the clothes becoming trendy and worn by randoms, simply because it is expensive.

What problem is that?

Look at that poser in the Theta shell, he's not a real climber like meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Maybe we need legislation to stop this "problem", I propose the following:

non-climber: can buy Columbia brand
gym climber: can buy TNF
sport climber: can buy MTH
trad climber: can buy Arcteryx
alpine climber: can buy anything they want

wait, what's the problem again Crazy

tnwagener

Mar 2, 2007, 6:26 AM
Post #62 of 69 (1927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sad to Say, Spider is even more mainstream. At least the price keeps it mostly in the outdoor sports area. If you are looking for some great lines for your shop check out Ice wear. They have a great outerwear lineup for next year.

scuclimber

Mar 3, 2007, 2:45 AM
Post #63 of 69 (1885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tnwagener] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess it wouldn't be RC.com if threads like this didn't pop up every so often. Neophytes decrying the end of the world that yuppie suburbanites purchase expensive shit. What's new? Keeping up with the Jones's has been going on for a long time. "Core" companies "selling out" is not a new phenomenon. Core mountaineering company A makes top of the line gear, yuppies latch onto it, big corporation sees profit, buys company A, company A gets too popular and/or quality goes down and/or is no longer cool, company B comes along and takes A's place at the top of the cool, niche mountaineering market, megacorp comes along a few years later and buys company B, cycle rinse repeat. Get the hell over it, try a forum search and you'll find the topic has been discussed ad nauseum, and move on with your life. I own all sorts of Arcteryx and Patagucci stuff and wear it when I'm climbing and BC skiing and when I'm walking around downtown San Francisco. If you saw me on the street, how the hell would you know if I was a climber/BC skier or not? What if I was wearing loafers and a suit with a Theta jacket over it in the rain? Blah blah blah blah. (I really need to stop responding to these posts. Wink )

miavzero

Mar 3, 2007, 3:08 AM
Post #64 of 69 (1875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scuclimber] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do any of you think that the good ol' boys on ranchhand.com have started threads about scrawny homos who climb rocks while wearing carhardt pants?

I have issues, because the other day some surfers made fun of my quicksilver shorts and two fourteen year old skaters stole my vans shoes while I was walking barefoot on the beach.

socialclimber

Mar 4, 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #65 of 69 (1843 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Davey] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The thing that bugs me about this trend is colour choice. After a while all you get is "muted earth tones" or black, when what I really want s a BRIGHT ORANGE jacket so when I'm lying at the bottom of a cliff in a snow storm, theres still a small chance my rescuers might see me.

Partner oldsalt

Mar 4, 2007, 4:53 PM
Post #66 of 69 (1808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unrooted] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

unrooted wrote:
... but the quality appears better than before, one example is the zion stretch pants, I love the fit and fabric, but the stitching on both pair I own came undone on the ass, but the newer ones look way more bomber.

I mean no hostility toward unrooted, but this is the first time that I have seen "bomber" refer to ass stitching on a pair of pants instead of a gear placement.

On the thread as a whole...and I am guilty of this myself, at least a little bit...

When people wear climbing clothes to impress others instead of for climbing, they are stealing our thunder as we try to impress others by climbing?

oldsalt wrote:
...and I am guilty of this myself, at least a little bit...

I don't care what anyone else wears. When I layer up for climbing in snow, I've got such a mix of crap on me that I'd be a fashion disaster at a soup kitchen. Sill, I did enjoy seeing a TNF jacket and "knowing" that the person in it was a climber.

el_layclimber

Mar 4, 2007, 6:09 PM
Post #67 of 69 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"oldsalt wrote:
this is the first time that I have seen "bomber" refer to ass stitching on a pair of pants instead of a gear placement. quote]

Bomber: (adj.) Slang, likely Dirtbaggish in origin: "Bomb proof" indestructable, secure, trustworthy, or otherwise of superior quality. Eg.: "I used three wraps of athletic tape to attach this 40-ounce of OE to my hand, it's totally bomber brah."

I bought my "North Fake," a Chinese knock-off of a North face windstopper jacket from the silk market in Beijing. It is well stitched, made of real Gore tex and cost ten dollars. The zippers will probably blow out at an inopportune time and I will freeze to death. How many dirtbag points do I get?

Partner euroford

Mar 4, 2007, 6:20 PM
Post #68 of 69 (1796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Mountain Hardwear... going mainstream? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oldsalt wrote:
I've got such a mix of crap on me that I'd be a fashion disaster at a soup kitchen.

lol, that was a good one dood!

i'm still of the 'whatever who gives a fuk, just go send' mentality.

kjohnnytarr

Mar 8, 2007, 3:11 PM
Post #69 of 69 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny: I was just on BikeForums, and there's a thread eerily similar to this one, about non-bikers wearing messenger bags...

Oh, and the good people at GoldMining.com are pissed about you people wearing Levi's. Can't you learn your place?!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook