Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
To any and all gear shop employees and loiterers...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

superbum

Mar 4, 2007, 11:15 PM
Post #1 of 11 (1117 views)
Shortcut

To any and all gear shop employees and loiterers...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I am considering taking a position at Wilson's Eastside Sports in Bishop, CA. I currently work at Manor Market (a cool little local grocery store w/ awesome beer and wine and health food) and actually really like it there...but I might have an opportunity to become a "manager" type at Wilson's fairly soon...

If i go to Wilson's, I will be taking a $1 pay-cut per hour, but will be gaining Two fat profit-sharing checks a year (I will make less per paycheck at Wilson's, but more annually...)

I am looking for Any and all advice concerning working in a gear shop...for those of you that have or do work in one, what do you like about it? What do you hate? Funny stories? Do all the pro deals make you spend more money than you should?

Just so you know, I am very knowledgable about gear from sleeping bags, to tents to hardwear and ropes, etc. That seems to be important to the outdoor community (as read here in various forum discussions) but not so important to shop owners...

Anyway, what do you think??

caughtinside

Mar 4, 2007, 11:19 PM
Post #2 of 11 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superbum] To any and all gear shop employees and loiterers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It also sounds like a good way to meet a TON of climbers and other outdoorsy folks!

jakedatc

Mar 5, 2007, 4:47 AM
Post #3 of 11 (980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] To any and all gear shop employees and loiterers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a good opportunity man.. don't forget the stuff in non-monetary form. ie discounts, Prodeals and shwag from reps etc

and yea. right in bishop you should meet all kinds of climbers and partner opportunities

and yea knowing about a wide variety is good.. you will learn about specific stuff just through working and talking with other employees too

Partner j_ung

Mar 5, 2007, 4:56 AM
Post #4 of 11 (968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superbum] To any and all gear shop employees and loiterers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

superbum wrote:
If i go to Wilson's, I will be taking a $1 pay-cut per hour, but will be gaining Two fat profit-sharing checks a year (I will make less per paycheck at Wilson's, but more annually...)

If you're one of those who has trouble saving money, this could be a very good thing. Kinda depends on the profit, I guess. Do you know how this plan has panned out for others before you?

It's not an unreasonable question to ask before making a decision. I once had a profit sharing plan. But the benchmarks for sharing turned out to be quite unreasonable. In three years, i collected not a single penny.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Mar 5, 2007, 4:59 AM)

superbum

Mar 5, 2007, 6:25 AM
Post #5 of 11 (905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] To any and all gear shop employees and loiterers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the profit sharing comes out to roughly 19% of your earnings for that period (two periods a year, thus two checks). My friend who works there now at only 30 hrs per week (I plan to work 34-38) bought a whole new rack of camalots, including draws, a harness and a tent w/ her check and I believe she had lots leftover.

I DO have a problem saving, and that is in fact one huge reason why I am willing to take the hourly paycut...even if I get paid more per month I end up spending most of it anyway, so why not get paid a little less, and have the company "save" my money for me??

I also am planning on taking my climbing much farther in the coming year and forsee much gear shreding and replacing in the near future...

But Manor Market is so fing cool and my Boss is AWESOME and lets me have any time off I want...plus I make $10.00 an hour...sigh. I didn't used to be so wishywashy...

unrooted

Mar 5, 2007, 6:36 AM
Post #6 of 11 (893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't work in a shop, but I have been to wilsons, its a great shop, the people working there are really nice, I like going into a shop that doesn't treat me like I should be the lucky one to have the opportunity to shop there. Have fun, I will hopefully go through there in may, which means I will definately stop into the store.

Creek_Nostalgia

Mar 5, 2007, 7:08 AM
Post #7 of 11 (872 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love working for an outdoor retailer, however, i spent WAY more money than I probably made... just a warning. prodeals are nice but they will rob you.

soysauce

Mar 5, 2007, 8:54 PM
Post #8 of 11 (743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely worth the $1 pay cut. Especially if you get pro-deal. I don't find my self spending more than I normally would but you can get the better more expensive gear at 1/2 price. Saves your wallet I'm building a rack for like $300 on pro-deal totally worth it if you need to buy a lot of gear.

scuclimber

Mar 8, 2007, 8:12 AM
Post #9 of 11 (596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [soysauce] To any and all gear shop employees and loiterers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do it. No question. And yes, you'll be tempted to spend more than you should all the time. But it'll open new doors for you, gearwise. And you'll meet really cool people and work in a really cool environment. The one time I went into Wilson's, it seemed like a really cool shop.

superbum

Mar 10, 2007, 2:08 AM
Post #10 of 11 (528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scuclimber] To any and all gear shop employees and loiterers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK..thanks everyone...I went ahead and did it and got hired! They are even matching my current wage...so, no pay cut! Very cool of them in my opinion. I start in June, so if you come to climb the big stones in the Sierra and need a partner...stop by!

Vic

rockguide

Mar 10, 2007, 6:48 AM
Post #11 of 11 (434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

superbum wrote:
So I am considering taking a position at Wilson's Eastside Sports in Bishop, CA. I currently work at Manor Market (a cool little local grocery store w/ awesome beer and wine and health food) and actually really like it there...but I might have an opportunity to become a "manager" type at Wilson's fairly soon...

I am looking for Any and all advice concerning working in a gear shop...for those of you that have or do work in one, what do you like about it? What do you hate? Funny stories? Do all the pro deals make you spend more money than you should?

Just so you know, I am very knowledgable about gear from sleeping bags, to tents to hardwear and ropes, etc. That seems to be important to the outdoor community (as read here in various forum discussions) but not so important to shop owners...

Anyway, what do you think??

Advice?

Listen. Really listen to everyone who asks for your advice. Too many gear store staff try to sell gear that they would need, or what they want people to think they use.

as for the pay... the pro deal is an evil temptress. You could save so much money that you won't be able to afford to climb.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook