Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
There are alot of routes on this wall!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mrvitoo5

Mar 20, 2007, 8:06 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2151 views)
Shortcut

There are alot of routes on this wall!!  (North_America: United_States: Ohio: Northeast_Ohio: Mill_Creek_Park: squid_wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is a lot of routes on this boulder, but it is very hard to name and est. them because it is ONE HUGE FACE that needs to be be demossed. The other side of the arete looks even more promising but it is covered by in moss, which SUCKS!

nthusiastj

Mar 20, 2007, 8:26 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrvitoo5] There are alot of routes on this wall!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe "what sucks" is that you have to destroy the natural landscape to climb these routes. I'm pretty sure that goes against the Leave No Trace ethic that sadly causes many climbing areas to be closed.

dingus

Mar 20, 2007, 8:28 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2117 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nthusiastj] There are alot of routes on this wall!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Moss are people too.

DMT

wilkiag

Mar 20, 2007, 8:36 PM
Post #4 of 15 (2098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trees are one thing but moss? if people didnt scrape off moss then there wouldnt be alot of routes set up. i say scrape it off. dont damage the trees or the shrubs. but dont get me wrong and clean the whole wall. just the sections where you're putting up routes. and if its privately owned ask first.

hummm

Mar 20, 2007, 8:39 PM
Post #5 of 15 (2093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder how people climb there before?! If you can't learn to climb with the moss..... you might just want to go back the moss-free gym environment........Pirate

deschamps1000

Mar 20, 2007, 9:07 PM
Post #6 of 15 (2060 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you have any idea how little rock would be climbable if people didn't do a bit of cleaning of vegetation?! Most cracks you've ever climbed probably originally had a lot of vegetation in them. Many sport areas are developed with crow bars to ply loose blocks off. If you are only going to climb at areas left as they were when they were found, you are going to run out of rock quickly.

mrvitoo5

Mar 20, 2007, 9:27 PM
Post #7 of 15 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deschamps1000] There are alot of routes on this wall!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you at least some one agrees with me. It isn't like people are cutting down trees, it is moss. Like deschamps said if climbers didn't clean routes, we would run out of routes real damn fast. What do you think that all the routes in the world were found just as they are now, perfect and ready to climb...doubt it. If you do you are just dumb! Scraping off some moss isn't going to destroy the environment, get over it and realize there are much bigger things to worry about destroying the environment then someone scraping some moss off a rock or bolting a route. I bet not one of you can say you have only climbed routes that have never been cleaned.

mrvitoo5

Mar 20, 2007, 9:33 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I find it odd that you are upset that I am "destroying the natural landscape"(according to you) which can grow back, but you have no problem climbing BOLTED sport routes, where HOLES are drilled in the rock which will never grow back. It's moss, you honestly can't be serious!

dingus

Mar 20, 2007, 9:49 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mrvitoo5 wrote:
I find it odd that you are upset that I am "destroying the natural landscape"(according to you) which can grow back, but you have no problem climbing BOLTED sport routes, where HOLES are drilled in the rock which will never grow back. It's moss, you honestly can't be serious!

Well then scrape that moss right offa there and be proud of your leave no moss philosophy. Lets see if you have the stones to take and post before and after pics.

DMT

nthusiastj

Mar 20, 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, wow, WOW, there cheese tits! Take off your Prana beanie and cool your head. Take some Ritalin and try to concentrate for 5 minutes on your next proj brah.

I didn't say I don't climb on routes that aren't cleaned. Hell half the routes in Yosemite are so hammered out that they are manufactured.

What I'm saying is that unfortunately cleaning moss off of an entire boulder will probably look pretty ugly and will be an eyesore. This kind of thing tends to result in area closures.

tonloc

Mar 20, 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uh you kind of contradict yourself...and you got on the (while somewhat passive) aggressive train first

silascl

Mar 20, 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #12 of 15 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nthusiastj wrote:
Wow, wow, WOW, there cheese tits! Take off your Prana beanie and cool your head. Take some Ritalin and try to concentrate for 5 minutes on your next proj brah.

I didn't say I don't climb on routes that aren't cleaned. Hell half the routes in Yosemite are so hammered out that they are manufactured.

What I'm saying is that unfortunately cleaning moss off of an entire boulder will probably look pretty ugly and will be an eyesore. This kind of thing tends to result in area closures.

Yep, last place I went someone pruned a couple hedges near a bad landing and bam access gone. They still let you climb there but I can't bring in my pruning shears anymore...Unsure

dingus

Mar 20, 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #13 of 15 (1957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nthusiastj wrote:

This site is SO.... emo.

DMT

outsi

Mar 20, 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #14 of 15 (1934 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] There are alot of routes on this wall!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PLEASE please post b4 and after pics. Smile i wanna see a big pile of moss in the after pic too.

moose_droppings

Mar 20, 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mrvitoo5 wrote:
Thank you at least some one agrees with me. It isn't like people are cutting down trees, it is moss. Like deschamps said if climbers didn't clean routes, we would run out of routes real damn fast. What do you think that all the routes in the world were found just as they are now, perfect and ready to climb...doubt it. If you do you are just dumb! Scraping off some moss isn't going to destroy the environment, get over it and realize there are much bigger things to worry about destroying the environment then someone scraping some moss off a rock or bolting a route. I bet not one of you can say you have only climbed routes that have never been cleaned.

I've climbed a lot of routes that have never been cleaned. They aren't in any guide book, but their still a route.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook