RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

vwha688

Mar 17, 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1128 views)
Shortcut

Boots for cascades?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i'm looking to buy some boots for srping/summer alpine routes in the cascades. I'm specifically interested in Baker, Rainer, Adams, Shuksan, Eldorado Peak...etc.
I know I dont need the warmest boots and everyone seems to be stoked on plastics and they don't sound that comfortable. Are really good leathers worth the warmth/water proof disadvantage?
i'm a rock climber thats sprung on the cascades, help me out!

weekendclimber

Mar 22, 2007, 6:33 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vwha688] Boots for cascades? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get some good insulated leather boots. I have the La Sportiva K4S (no longer made) and they have done good all the way to 0F, though they still walk like a plastic. Also, buy some Super Feet insoles and your feet will thank you for the lifetime of your boots.

zeth01

Mar 24, 2007, 9:12 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [weekendclimber] Boots for cascades? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was pointed towards the Vasque M-Finity for the exact same question you have. Check them out and read the review on alpinist.com

mqsack

Mar 25, 2007, 5:06 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeth01] Boots for cascades? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

warm boots in the cascades in summer, SWEATY and wet. try to stay away from a boot with a lot of insulation for the summer here, alot of people do all of these with trango S's or the trango extremes, I have used both on several winter climbs as well as summer here, so no worries.

(This post was edited by mqsack on Mar 25, 2007, 5:08 AM)

ryanb

Mar 25, 2007, 5:25 AM
Post #5 of 7 (1010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mqsack] Boots for cascades? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are the sportiva trango extremes warm enough for belays or the occasional cold night in the winter?

studclimber

May 15, 2007, 4:31 AM
Post #6 of 7 (904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, stick with the trango line from la sportiva. for the cascades, they're the best. I teach a basic mountaineering class, and the trango line is the one we recommend, because it is extremely versatile. plastics are just to stiff for approaches in the north cascades, ie eldorado. and on volcanoes, i have never had a student complain of frozen feet. Just make sure they fit. and the trango's come in a gtx model now

skidawg

May 15, 2007, 5:09 AM
Post #7 of 7 (896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think is all depends on how well your plastic boots fit. I have wide feet, but my Asolo's fit my feet very well, I've hiked on over 100 miles of trails and glacier, and can do rock climbing very well with them. I prefer them because they keep my feet dry, and to me, the snap on crampons I have seem to be more sturdy and reliable than the strap on ones you need with leather/other boots. Leather is probably fine in summer though. While I had plastic, my buddy had leather climbing Rainier....his feet were a little colder, and got a little wet, but the weather was good, so it was ok. Depends on how long you will be out there, how technical the climb will be (vertical ice, you would want plastic probably) and what other gear you want (type of crampon).
cheers,
Justin

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook