RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

mauta

Sep 17, 2002, 4:46 PM
Post #1 of 12 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Favourite climbing picture
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi:

What is the best climbing picture have you ever seen (not restricted to this site, of course)?
If you can provide a link to it, much better !!

In my case, there is one that comes inmediately to my mind. As a matter opf fact, it was probably this picture that first attracted my attention to climbing !! I was fascinated looking at it (and still i am..)

I am speaking about Reinhold Messner self pictured at the summit of Nanga Parbat (he took it with the automatic of his camera, attached to his piolet).

It was the first time a man ascended a 8000m peak solo, and he did it by the same route where he lost his brother during the epic descent after the Rupal conquer many years ago..
Unfortunately, i do not have a link to this picture right now, but it is so famous that probably everybody has seen it.

What is yours??

JUAN

cyberclimber

Sep 17, 2002, 5:03 PM
Post #2 of 12 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Favourite climbing picture [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure about THE best, but I think all the pictures on the first page of pictures here on this site are GREAT I especially think that SPIKE does a great job.
As far as personal favorite, I would have to say the shot that Galen Rowell took of Ron Kauk free soloing in Yosemite with the rainbow from off the waterfall in the background is my favorite. Galen pre-visualized it, but the sun didn't come at the right angle for him to get the exact shot he wanted till nearly a year later, so he talked Ron into posing for him. A totally set up shot, but it took a year and Ron really did have to free-solo the route. That is dedication. One of the many reasons that Galen was so great and will be missed. Sorry I don't have a link,,,I will go in search...

Partner camhead

Sep 17, 2002, 5:04 PM
Post #3 of 12 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not an ultra famous or classic picture, but ever since I saw it in the Climbing Magazine Gallery, this one has been my favorite! 5.12+r/x offwidth. I get chills down my spine every time I look at it!

http://www.climbing.com/Pages/gallery_pages/212/gallery-212.02.html

lieven

Sep 17, 2002, 5:12 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My favourite climbing picture is the one where Hans Kammelander is standing on his head on top of Everest after the fastest ascent ever of its north face.

http://www.kammerlander.com/dt-buecher.htm

We tried this once on a 4000m peak in the alpes, and I can say that it is quiet hard when you want to get back on your feet. Just like you're drunk.

http://www.vbsf.be/pics/103-0318_IMG.JPG

dsafanda

Sep 17, 2002, 5:31 PM
Post #5 of 12 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you have to see a large print in person(there's one at Iron Works) to really apprreciate it but my favorite to date has to be this photo of Chris Mac by Jerry Dodrill.

http://www.jerrydodrill.com/climb_03.html

rocknpowda

Sep 17, 2002, 6:23 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dsafada-

That IS definitely a cool shot. However, my friends have been up there and told me there was a perfectly good crack right by the climber that led to the top and all the bolts in the ladder were drilled unnecesarily just so they could get the picture. A little unnecesary impact I'd say.

jerrygarcia

Sep 17, 2002, 6:44 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this picture*

Because the love of my life has a smile on her face AND she is climbing. If you have a significant other who loves climbing as much as you do, you know why this is my favorite climbing picture.

*yes that is ralph stover, PA

dsafanda

Sep 17, 2002, 7:10 PM
Post #8 of 12 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi rocknpowda,

No offense but I'm pretty sure your friends are mistaken. Chris is actually a friend of mine and he's told me about that particular climb. I seriously doubt there is a bolt ladder drilled for the express purpose of that photo. How would drilling a bolt ladder on the route rather than climbing a crack aid the photographer who is crearly shooting from somewhere far off to the right of the climber? Do you mean the photographer drilled a bolt ladder near Chris's line?

In any event, I'll find out the details and post them here. Maybe Chris will respond.

Btw. What do you mean your friends were up there? They repeated Chris's route or were near it while on another route?

[ This Message was edited by: dsafanda on 2002-09-17 12:11 ]

rocknpowda

Sep 17, 2002, 7:39 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DSAFANDA-

I am not sure if they were on that route or one near by. I'll try and find out. I am sorry, I don't know if the ladder was put up just for the photo, but they were pretty adamant that there was a climbable crack near the bolt ladder. I'll try and track them down and find out what the deal was. In any case, it is a sweet shot (the bolt ladder looks like it has nice exposure and would be fun to climb) and chris has done some good things for climbing in Zion and elsewhere. I think that same photo was either on the cover or featured in a magazine a while back.

Take Care,

Pete

dsafanda

Sep 17, 2002, 7:46 PM
Post #10 of 12 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're right...it was on the cover of some magazine. Is that mag still around? Can't remember the name...wasn't R&I or Climbing.

Partner camhead

Sep 22, 2002, 12:11 AM
Post #11 of 12 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The mag you are thinking of was Elevation, a sort of all around adventure sports mag that didn't last too long. It was not that great of a magazine either. The article on that climb was WAY shallow.

bigwalling

Sep 30, 2002, 12:46 AM
Post #12 of 12 (3582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I talked to Chris about that climb a while back. I doubt he would drill without reason. Lower on the route there is a pitch that take 20 beaks and 20+ blades. He said it was the best top out ever. If anyone wants to see the topo sent me a pm(or email chris but he might be gone)I'm always around.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook