RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

climbingbetty22

Apr 2, 2007, 5:01 PM
Post #1 of 21 (1943 views)
Shortcut

New New Paltz Eatery
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would post this in the New York Climber's Thread, but no one will see it there!

So this weekend I was at the Gunks and noticed a new eatery in New Paltz. It's called 'Karma Road.' And it's next to the Bike Depot on the same side of the road as the post office on the bottom part of town. It's billed as "vegetarian deli & organic juice bar" so for all you veggies and vegans out there, rejoice! And for the carnivores, don't turn your nose up at it just yet. You can get some kick ass organic java and smoothies there and they have something called "Oh My God Chocolate Cake" that you would 1.) never know is vegan and 2.) really does make you say OH MY GOD! If nothing else people, go for the chocolate cake!!!!

When I was there yesterday I had an amazing platter of roasted veggies, curried tofu and chickpeas ( which J and I agreed was the best of all the dishes we tried-don't be scared of the tofu, it tastes just like the cubes of cheese used in traditional Indian cuisine) and a wondeful "Jasmine croquette" which has among other things jasmine rice and quinoa for protein, which though a little dry was quite amazing as well. Of course we left with plenty of Oh My God chocolate cake and right now I'm noshing on a scrumptous vegan banana nut muffin that we sored there yesterday.

I am in no way associated with the eatery nor have they in anyway compensated me for this shameless plug. I am simply a customer who really enjoyed the food and my experience there and would love to see the restaurant stay in New Platz for a while. I know J and I have agreed that we will visit on all other subsequent visits to New Platz because we want to support their business as well.

Oh yeah and for those whoe operating a budget (not that we aren't) they have ORGANIC sandwichs for 3.79 to 5.49, smoothies run $3-$5 depending on what you put in the them and since it's a deli, they do alot of dishes by the pound. They even have some raw foods to if you are a raw foodist.

Please check these guys out and support their business!!!

EDIT: New Business hours are 8-8 EVERYDAY! I was there on Sunday 4-22 and they were busy, busy busy!! I had an awesome Strawberry Banana smoothy and this great little tofo thingy that reminds me of the scallion pancakes you get at Chineses restaurants but without all that heart-stopping grease. Or at least a signifcantly reduced amount!!!

(This post was edited by climbingbetty22 on Apr 23, 2007, 3:07 PM)

Partner taino

Apr 2, 2007, 6:25 PM
Post #2 of 21 (1940 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingbetty22] New New Paltz Eatery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Karma Road is the new name for the old place "Cookies & Cream". I'm not sure of any changes to the menu, but I remember the old place had REALLY good ice cream and muffins.

T

climbingbetty22

Apr 4, 2007, 2:55 PM
Post #3 of 21 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taino] New New Paltz Eatery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cookies & Cream is out and Karam Road is in my friend. No ice cream to speak of at Karma Road, but as stated above, plenty of kick-ass chocolate cake!!!

I also forgot to mention above, their hours are 8-6 pm and they are open everyday of the week but Tuesday. Since they do have a deli style thing going and because the close by 6, your best bet is probably to grab a container of something scrumptious to take with to the crag with you.

shakylegs

Apr 4, 2007, 4:31 PM
Post #4 of 21 (1880 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm partial to Beso myself. Across the street from the Texaco, next to Rock and Snow.
You're initially served with a basket of fluffy, homemade foccacia, redolent with olive oil and fresh rosemary.
For an entrée, I had the oven-roasted beet with goat cheese, topped with walnuts.
For the main, I had the duo of duck confit and magret de canard. This was slightly disappointing, as the magret was somewhat overcooked (the meat should be pink). Accompanied by an Oregon Pinot Noir, the meal was satisfying.
Came to about a C-note for two, but at least we were able to avoid the filthy hoi polloi at the Otter and the 'haus.

Partner taino

Apr 4, 2007, 4:38 PM
Post #5 of 21 (1877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shakylegs] New New Paltz Eatery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I keep meaning to try that place out with my GF, but we're hooked on Locust Tree and Harvest Cafe; both excellent establishments, that use local food and subscribe to Slow Food methods.

T

shakylegs

Apr 4, 2007, 4:54 PM
Post #6 of 21 (1872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taino] New New Paltz Eatery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure Beso does the same thing. It's the in thing to do these days.
It's worth it just to try New American cuisine, though it will set you back a bit.

evanair

Apr 4, 2007, 8:54 PM
Post #7 of 21 (1858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shakylegs] New New Paltz Eatery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been to Beso a number of times and had mixed results. Some of the dishes are excellent (sometimes), and then downright in edible the next time. I've gotten the short ribs a couple of times there. Usually they are great, but every third time, they're so over salted, I can't eat it.

When I'm going to spend 50 bucks a person, I look to the other side of the ridge. The French corner in Stoneridge is consistently excellent (or at least more so than Beso). But I think my favorite at the moment has to be the Country Inn which is out on county route 2, about a 25 Minute Drive from New Paltz: incredible beers, a relaxed atmosphere, great service and pretty good to excellent food. the nice thing is that you can get an expensive meal, or just get an organic grass fed burger.

The atmosphere is great because few people are going to drive to place they haven't heard about. But this place is really well worth it, and I'm sure you'll hear a lot more about it.

ratherbe

Apr 7, 2007, 2:01 AM
Post #8 of 21 (1830 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the heads up, I'll try it sometime this season.

Since it was mentioned, my two cents is that I was really sad to see the ice cream place go. Any other good places to snag a good cone or milkshake in town?

curt

Apr 7, 2007, 4:25 AM
Post #9 of 21 (1825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, for what it's worth, here are a few of my favorite restaurants near the Gunks:

Locust Tree Restaurant - New Paltz (great food in a 1700s stone house)

Lombardi's - Gardiner (best pizza on the planet)

Rondout Golden Duck - Rondout, near Kingston (great hunan & schezuan)

Depuy Canal House - High Falls (5 star dining)

Northern Spy Restaurant - High Falls (probably as good as , but less stuffy than the Canal House)

Racoon Saloon - Marlboro (unbelievably good hamburgers)

Bon appetit-

Curt

thelockdude

Apr 7, 2007, 5:45 PM
Post #10 of 21 (1790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] New New Paltz Eatery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In nearby Rosendale, there's a little vegetarian restaurant, the Rosendale Cafe. A lot of vegan choices. But on more than one occasion, some menu items were not available.

I too miss cookies and cream. Fresh-baked vegan desserts are not very common.

kmc

Apr 7, 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #11 of 21 (1780 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ratherbe] New New Paltz Eatery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dont know the name of it but there is a good ice cream place next door to the Taco Shack. Dont worry, the liquor store is still there, its on the other side of The Taco Shack.

Since were talking about food in New Paltz, my favorite pizza place, the one closest to Bacchus and Rock and Snow, on the corner, has closed. Where is the best place in town for cheap pasta or pizza?

ratherbe

Apr 8, 2007, 4:10 AM
Post #12 of 21 (1769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kmc] New New Paltz Eatery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I like Ricos for pizza, garlic knots with the BEST sauce and sandwiches. I don't know what they do for pasta. They're in the plaza across from McDonalds.

ne_dan

Apr 8, 2007, 5:54 AM
Post #13 of 21 (1765 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ratherbe] New New Paltz Eatery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When did the pizza place on the corner near rock and snow close? They had the best stuffed pizza.

climbingbetty22

Apr 9, 2007, 5:56 PM
Post #14 of 21 (1735 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ne_dan] New New Paltz Eatery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, didn't know this thread was going to to turn into the food critic's guide to New Paltz dining. I was just trying to draw attention to a new place in town and encourage people to give it try because they have awesome food and I would love to see them stick around, unlike the poor ice cream shop that had previously occupied that space.

Seems it fits most climber's budgets, unlike Beso. I could never afford to go to someplace like that!

shakylegs

Apr 9, 2007, 6:21 PM
Post #15 of 21 (1733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, Beso was a one-time deal. Otherwise, I prefer eating at Yanni's. There's a cute Albanian waitress who works there.

kmc

Apr 11, 2007, 3:54 PM
Post #16 of 21 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ne_dan] New New Paltz Eatery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The one on the same side of the street as Baccus closed some time towards the end of last season. Its just an emply building now.

thelockdude

Apr 12, 2007, 2:08 PM
Post #17 of 21 (1673 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The last time we went to that now-closed pizza place, my friends got food poisoning. They closed like RIGHT after that. Maybe a lot of other people got sick too, and the health dep't. closed them or something.

kmc

Apr 12, 2007, 3:50 PM
Post #18 of 21 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thelockdude] New New Paltz Eatery [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats unfortunate. I have eaten there many times and never had a problem. The real mystery is how the Taco Shack has made it this long with out being condemned.

Adk

Apr 12, 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #19 of 21 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been there not too often yet I am heading there this weekend and all this talk of food.....
Climbing???? What is that?

Oh..oh...you mean those guys that go up to those beautiful mountains to that great rock. I should go get at least 2 dozen doughnuts for the other climbers I will be there Saturday morning. Nothing like a couple nice headlights or taillights to help start the day!Wink

I take it there is a doughnut shop there!

(This post was edited by Adk on Apr 13, 2007, 6:00 PM)

climbingbetty22

Apr 23, 2007, 3:08 PM
Post #20 of 21 (1579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BUMP!

Adk

Apr 23, 2007, 6:45 PM
Post #21 of 21 (1570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump Bump...It's good advertisement.LaughTongue

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook