Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Seneca Summit Log
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dleighto

Apr 25, 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #1 of 15 (8243 views)
Shortcut

Seneca Summit Log  (North_America: United_States: West_Virginia: Roped_Climbing: Seneca_Rocks_Region: The_Panhandle: Seneca_Rocks)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello everyone,

I am a member of the Terrapin Trail Club at the University of Maryland. Several of our members, including myself, frequently climb at Seneca Rocks. A few of us are interested in replacing the dilapidated summit register. For those who haven't seen it, it consists of a leaking army surplus ammo case with a water damaged notebook as well as a few other trinkets. We are interested in replacing it with an identical ammo can (possibly with our club's name on it) that doesn't leak as well as a new notebook with pencils.

Obviously this thread isn't too important to the majority of you, but I wanted some opinions (hopefully from some locals) about what we should do. Should we replace it? And what should we do with the summit register currently in there? I suppose we could put it back in the new register along with a new notebook, or we could drop it by the Gendarme climbing shop or something. I figured that just going up there and swapping it wouldn't be the best way to go about things, so your opinions are valued.

Daniel

melaniemolz

Apr 25, 2007, 12:50 AM
Post #2 of 15 (8226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dleighto] Seneca Summit Log [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a veteran to Seneca and PLEASE DONT REPLACE THE BOX. for one, Tom Cecil and his climbing crew control that and the new one won't stay long. Plus, that box has history to it-please leave it as it is....especially for respect of the pioneers. thanks.

crimpergirl

Apr 25, 2007, 1:00 AM
Post #3 of 15 (8221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [melaniemolz] Seneca Summit Log [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Absolutely - no question - leave the existing box and notebook where it is.

rock_ranger

Apr 25, 2007, 1:10 AM
Post #4 of 15 (8212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Messing with that log would be a REALLY bad idea bro!

I hear the Liberty Bell has a crack in it, why not go putty that thing in instead...

dleighto

Apr 25, 2007, 1:13 AM
Post #5 of 15 (8209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimpergirl] Seneca Summit Log [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear you, and this was the reaction that I expected. I assure you that we will NOT attempt to replace anything. The proposal was brought up by some and I suggested that we open it up on a forum to see how others felt about such a change to what can be regarded as part of the Seneca history and tradition. I also understand that it would not be our place to do such a thing considering that we are not local guides or long standing members of the climbing community there. Thanks for your feedback.

Daniel

tradmanclimbs

Apr 25, 2007, 1:33 AM
Post #6 of 15 (8195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't be stupid. if the log is an important piece of history and I certainly feel that it is, it should go to a safe place where it can be viewed. I have some experience with waterlogged summit regesters and often they get so messed up that they are a total loss. Just ask Tom what he thinks about putting a new seal in the ammo can and putting a new book up there. it ain't rocket science...

nedsurf

Apr 25, 2007, 2:09 AM
Post #7 of 15 (8181 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah don't do it. I don't want to find a terrapin sticker on the register. Former UMCP student. Can't say i did much with the club or hung out at the campus climbing wall much. Just not my thing.
And would you stop bringing a gazillion people to toprope on the breakneck wall. I mean c'mon, you can do that at Carter Rock or Sugarloaf. Just invite a few noobs to second with the experienced in the group. I just don't get the point of top roping at Seneca and I find it annoying. Since it is NP property, I guess the group will do whatever it pleases anyway. Say hi to G-Spot for me if he is still there.

dleighto

Apr 25, 2007, 2:55 AM
Post #8 of 15 (8160 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nedsurf] Seneca Summit Log [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nedsurf wrote:
Yeah don't do it. I don't want to find a terrapin sticker on the register. Former UMCP student. Can't say i did much with the club or hung out at the campus climbing wall much. Just not my thing.
And would you stop bringing a gazillion people to toprope on the breakneck wall. I mean c'mon, you can do that at Carter Rock or Sugarloaf. Just invite a few noobs to second with the experienced in the group. I just don't get the point of top roping at Seneca and I find it annoying. Since it is NP property, I guess the group will do whatever it pleases anyway. Say hi to G-Spot for me if he is still there.

Guilherme is actually the one who suggested replacing it, I was the one who thought it wasn't such a good idea. I climb with him often and he is doing well, I can say hi to him for you if I knew who you were. And don't worry, as I said we aren't going to change a thing.

As for top roping in the area, we come as a group of around 10, twice a year at most. The majority of the group sticks on the luncheon ledge (which is almost exclusively used for top roping) except for a few who top rope breakneck when we lead up it and set an anchor. If it EVER gets in the way of someone intending to lead it we get out of their way (which happened this spring, and we got out of the way).

I don't see why you are so against this, have we gotten in your way? Or are you just basing your aversion on the knowledge that we run these trips? Yes, many do not like to see a large crowd but it is easy to avoid Humphrey's Head (the predictable location of the "noobs"). Seneca is an excellent way to allow the inexperienced climbers a chance to climb something awesome (the 30 foot cliffs at Carderock, Great Falls, Sugarloaf only go so far). When I joined the club this was one of the first trips I went on, and I became hooked. Since then I have gone trad climbing almost every weekend of the year with good weather and own my own trad gear. Shouldn't this opportunity be extended to others?

As for bringing inexperienced seconds, we do it from time to time, but I wouldn't trust every one of them to give me a lead belay, nor would all of them be ready for the multi-pitch exposure. Thank you for your comments and concerns.

Daniel Leighton

nedsurf

Apr 25, 2007, 6:35 AM
Post #9 of 15 (8129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shouldn't this opportunity be extended to others?
No I don't think the opportunity should be extended to all others that join TTC or any other group for that matter. I just don't like large groups at trad climbing areas, whether they be college kids, boy scouts, guided for pay, guided for free or whatever. If an individual shows that they like climbing more than just casually, I will take that person individually to an area like Seneca or the Gunks. This is after many times going to lesser areas for top roping and one pitch type climbs. I don't feel that the opportunity to climb at places like Seneca should be offered to everyone. I realize the futility of what I am saying. Just cause it wont change, doesn't mean I'm not gonna gripe. Thats what this site is good for.
LNT thinking recognizes the value in acoustic solitude. I just don't like the big group thing with lots o conversations about stupid college kid crap and lots of ego posturing.
For perspective, I don't like the gym, organized social groups and guided trips. I find these things a suck a$$ way to spend my free time. I get nothing from climbing gyms except for a workout to sustain me through the winter months. I don't like the social scene nor the narcissistic mentality that comes with all gyms.
Sure, i'll hang out back at camp after climbing and kick down beers with everyone then. I'm social then.

As for bringing inexperienced seconds, we do it from time to time, but I wouldn't trust every one of them to give me a lead belay, nor would all of them be ready for the multi-pitch exposure.

Yes I agree, I wouldn't take people without proper knowledge either. I wouldn't even invite people this new to a place like Seneca.

I'm moving from the east coast soon for a job in a more alpine locale. I will not be around for long. So have at it bringing large groups to Seneca.

Mr. F would recognize who I am from my posts.

lodi5onu

Apr 25, 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #10 of 15 (8108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm moving from the east coast soon for a job in a more alpine locale. I will not be around for long. So have at it bringing large groups to Seneca.
Good then quit bitching at this dude for taking noobs to the only significant trad area within a days drive from md. ppl who climb at seneca know it's a gangbang on the weekends and either climb during the week or deal with it, you should do the same or go climb somewhere else
futile is correct, seneca's only downfall is and always will be it's proximity to several large cities

svilnit

Apr 25, 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #11 of 15 (8088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lodi5onu] Seneca Summit Log [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For god sakes don't touch the summit log, or the joint somebody left in the ammo box!Cool

Partner j_ung

Apr 25, 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #12 of 15 (8072 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nedsurf, Seneca isn't exactly the only stone in Germany Valley. If you want to avoid crowds, I suggest the North Peak, Champe or Judy Gap. You'll find no people and an abundance of high adventure. Smile

notch

Apr 25, 2007, 2:59 PM
Post #13 of 15 (8014 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seal box, add second notebook, reset mousetrap.

All problems solved.

dmcgee87

Apr 26, 2007, 2:12 AM
Post #14 of 15 (7977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your a fuck bag Nedsurf. A old stinky fuckbag. You're almost worse than Curt, but that would be impossible. Now I am defiantly going to take that ammo box registry and throw it off the cliff. It can't leak anymore when it's gone can it? Where are you moving to? Before you go would you let me stick my rainbow colored multi texture dick inside of you? One last thing, Curt is noob. Check out my Curtstomp thread in the general section if you do not believe me. I am positive you will agree.

Curt << David

(This post was edited by dmcgee87 on Apr 26, 2007, 2:13 AM)

dmcgee87

Apr 26, 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #15 of 15 (7944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dmcgee87] Seneca Summit Log [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dmcgee87 wrote:
Your a fuck bag Nedsurf. A old stinky fuckbag. You're almost worse than Curt, but that would be impossible. Now I am defiantly going to take that ammo box registry and throw it off the cliff. It can't leak anymore when it's gone can it? Where are you moving to? Before you go would you let me stick my rainbow colored multi texture dick inside of you? One last thing, Curt is noob. Check out my Curtstomp thread in the general section if you do not believe me. I am positive you will agree.

Curt << David

Curt is Noob
Curt is Noob
Wah Whooo

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook