RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

justindonnell

Sep 24, 2002, 11:25 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Elbows hurt like hell when i climb!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Everytime I climb my elbows start to hurt like hell. Why is this and what can i do to stop it?

krillen

Sep 24, 2002, 11:41 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Elbows hurt like hell when i climb! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Could be Tennis elbow, could be over use?

Time off is the big healer. Try icing your elbows after climbing, drink lots of fluids, and take some anti-inflamitories.

Remember to always see a Doctor though!

Partner coldclimb

Sep 24, 2002, 11:43 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where is it at on your elbow? I have something that I heard is called "golf elbow" on the inside of my right bicep right where the tendon connects to the bone. When I excercise that part of my arm a lot, it hurts a bit. This is like tennis elbow, but on the opposite side of the arm. The best cure is rest. If this isn't the problem you're having though, I can't help you.

onemistakebigpancake

Sep 24, 2002, 11:43 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like tendonitist (sp?)... should go see a doctor to confirm it. it's from a muscle imbalance... climbers then to grip and use only oneside of their forearms so that side gets built up while the othersides stays the same (i hope i am not giving you something inaccurate...) Anyway, check with your doctor. If it is, quite often taking time off and/or doing reverse curls with weights help BUT NOTHING BEATS REST and lots of it. It just gets worse if you keep climbing hard and do nothing about it.
Hope that was informative.
joy

jcs

Sep 24, 2002, 11:54 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey-
Aounds like you have tendonitis- golfers elbow is most likely (this injury is often a result of having a stuffy corporate job and being poorly dressed, but there are other causes as well). I went through the same thing a while back. I was training to go back to Thailand and send some projects, so I decided to ignore the pain. When I got to Thailand I couldnt even climb most of the 5.9's there! My elbow hurt way too much.

It is about a year later now, and my elbow doesnt hurt anymore. Over training, too much pulling (i.e- bad technique) and climbing through the pain are all things that lead to my injury. I also took IB Profin a few times so that I could keep climbing! Bad idea!

So- TAKE SOME TIME OFF!!!! This isnt one of those injuries that will just go away. See a physiotherapist if it is really bad. Take up slacklining, running or cycling while you rest your elbow- it will make you climb better while you heal. I know people who have had to take years away from climbing from tendonitis, so be careful. Good luck.

JCS

[ This Message was edited by: jcs on 2002-09-24 16:55 ]

chakan

Sep 25, 2002, 12:12 AM
Post #6 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my friend got that or something like it everytime he climbed!! try this to help (it id for him) there is a product on the market called mineral ice. Blue goop!!! put that on and see if it helps you. It makes the affected area very cold. It worked for my friend.

qacwac

Sep 25, 2002, 12:41 AM
Post #7 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it is tendonitis or tennis elbow there are exercises you can do that help (so I've read)

One is to have your forearms laying on a bench, palms facing down and over the edge of the bench. Grab dumbells and lift your hands up and down. You'll feel a burn on the top of your forearms. Another idea is to by Metolius' grip strengthener that works when you open your hand rather than when you close it.

Don't mind the below, it's to show my niece and nephews what will the faces look like.

:

jt512

Sep 25, 2002, 2:44 AM
Post #8 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stretch your forearms frequently! Do a forums search for posts by me on this subject.

-Jay

dsafanda

Sep 25, 2002, 3:39 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You're not seriously diagnosing your injury on rockclimbing.com are you?
Go see a doctor.

bouldertoad

Sep 25, 2002, 3:39 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have tedonitis which it sounds like you do the only thing that can cure it is total rest. Take time off at least a few months and when you start back begin very slowly. At the first feeling of pain back off and rest a few more weeks. Also start working your atagonist muscles.....triceps.....and this will help the problem.

dencio

Oct 8, 2002, 11:50 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i also use the blue goop called mineral ice.. yup its good but really only just a quick fix...nothing beats seeking professional help...

blue goop rules though

jdean

Oct 8, 2002, 12:46 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, you have tendonitis. If it hurts on the inside it's called Medial Epicondylitis. It's also known as Golfer's Elbow and it's pretty common among climbers. If it is hurting on the outside, it's Tennis Elbow or Lateral Epicondylitis. I had a pretty bad bout with M.E. for a while, but I quit bouldering hard in the gym and that seemed to help a lot. Climbing outside never bothered it though. There is a little acronym that a lot of people go by to treat it: RICE(D)
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation
(D)rugs---Ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatories.

I hope this helps.

M@

jaylow

Oct 10, 2002, 7:02 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most people concentrate on the forearms but I find that its also a muscle inbalance between the bicep and tricep. Try strengthing your triceps as well as the outside of you forearm.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook