RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

pilgram

Apr 27, 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3430 views)
Shortcut

BD vs Metolius Haul Bag
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Looking at getting a larger haul bag. I have a Metolius right now and have been prertty happy with it. I notice the BD's are cheaper however. How much quality am I sacrificing...anyone who has used the two?

socalclimber

Apr 27, 2007, 1:06 AM
Post #2 of 13 (3412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pilgram] BD vs Metolius Haul Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why haven't you considered a Fish bag? Russ makes some durable, affordable shit.

pmyche

Apr 27, 2007, 3:07 AM
Post #3 of 13 (3386 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by pmyche [In reply to]
Report this Post

stymingersfink

Apr 28, 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] BD vs Metolius Haul Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

some stats I seem to recall reading stated that the "average" serious big-wall climber will log three ascents of El Cap. so far I'm no better than average, but if holdplease2 drops her beta here I'd definitely take it to heart.

so far my BD haul bag has made those three (plus two attempts totaling 6P's) trips with no problems. perhaps this is because I have preferred steeper routes with very little slab-hauling, or perhaps due to packing ability. most likely a combination of the two (but mostly the first option).

just feeling the bag material at the gear shop should clue you in to the difference in cost. the metolius one feels much more sturdy. whether this difference is important to you can only be decided by yourself.

cosmin

Apr 29, 2007, 9:46 AM
Post #5 of 13 (3265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] BD vs Metolius Haul Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi!

I have used both BD and M bags - albeit the M only when climbing with people who have M bags... I personally go with BD for various reasons.

Quality - you won't sacrifice much if any to be honest. BD still can do some improvements on their design that's true, but as far as sturdy goes they're just fine. Last summer my Zion took a 250 m flight onto scree and has only a small, pinky sized, hole in it. Pretty sturdy.

Beware though that in cold environment (-15/-20 centigrades and lower) the BD bags tend to become really, really hard - like plastic barrels almost which makes manoeuvring them a bit more difficult especially the Zion. In the same environment the M bags stay supple.

M has a somewhat better closure system while, when old and worn, the BD is easier to pack when empty. BD has only 3 sizes while M has 4. Capacity varies between the two brands so make sure you take that into account.

Hope this helps somewhat.
C

mosseyoak

Apr 29, 2007, 12:12 PM
Post #6 of 13 (3256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cosmin] BD vs Metolius Haul Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used all three - Fish, BD, Metolius.

The Fish will not hold up as well as the BD or the Metolius. The material is not as durable and the construction quality is inconsistent.

BD makes a good bag, but the Metolius units are more durable.

Metolius makes the best bags - best long term value.

lambone

Apr 30, 2007, 2:17 AM
Post #7 of 13 (3218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mosseyoak] BD vs Metolius Haul Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Metolius

tradhog

Apr 30, 2007, 4:54 PM
Post #8 of 13 (3169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mosseyoak] BD vs Metolius Haul Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mosseyoak wrote:
I've used all three - Fish, BD, Metolius.

The Fish will not hold up as well as the BD or the Metolius. The material is not as durable and the construction quality is inconsistent.

BD makes a good bag, but the Metolius units are more durable.

Metolius makes the best bags - best long term value.

I've used all three to and here is what i found.
THe Metolius is a good bag but it is way heavy and too expensive. It is really too much bag for the average wall climber looking to do some routes.
Fish bag is way less expensive and between my friends and me this is the bag we use mostly. It is plenty durable and bomber. Not sure how the quality is an issue or inconsistant. Never seen that on any of the Fish stuff we own. Totally bomber, good price.
BD is an ok bag but I did not like the suspension very much. Price is good but did not seem as bomber as the Fish or Metolius. I would have liked it more if it was a bit wider too.

tomtom

May 1, 2007, 3:22 AM
Post #9 of 13 (3135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradhog] BD vs Metolius Haul Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yates.

fearlessclimber

May 1, 2007, 7:40 PM
Post #10 of 13 (3081 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomtom] BD vs Metolius Haul Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

metolius all the way, no questions asked.

moof

May 2, 2007, 5:21 PM
Post #11 of 13 (3010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fearlessclimber] BD vs Metolius Haul Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got the Fish Budget and the older A5 grade VII bag. I've also been on a trip with a buddies half dome.

Fish is the best bang for the buck. You can tell it's made by a dude, and does not have that polished assembly line look and snazz. Cosmetics are not great, but quality is excellent. I haven't worn it out yet, so I don't have good comarison for durability.

The A5 is nice, and the internal pocket at the top is just dandy. It's too deep, and getting stuff out fo the bottom at a hanging belay is about impossible.

The Metolius is burly, and heavy. Also this one was dark blue. DO NOT get a dark gear bag. We used the water out of my bag as his was a big solar oven. Good for warming dinner, but promoted rot on the bread, and made the liquids tepid.

texplorer

May 4, 2007, 3:05 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2926 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moof] BD vs Metolius Haul Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can say that I love my metolious. All bags are gonna get trashed but I think always go with the beefiest.

epic_ed

May 5, 2007, 6:37 AM
Post #13 of 13 (2884 views)
Shortcut

Re: [texplorer] BD vs Metolius Haul Bag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Even Fish will tell you that his bags aren't as burley as some of the competitors, but they are made very well and do the job for most walls. That said, back when I actually used to use my gear I bought a couple of Metolius bags and they are absolutely bomber. They have held up much better than my Fish Atom Smasher out at the crags, but they both collect dust equally as well sitting in my closet these days.

Ed

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook