RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

medicus

May 2, 2007, 3:59 PM
Post #1 of 5 (685 views)
Shortcut

A numbness in one of my fingers...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm just curious to see if anyone has experienced this same situation. It's not a serious thing, and I feel kind of petty posting it, but I am really wondering what the heck is up with my finger.
It started after I climbed for 3 days pretty hard, and it hasn't gone away since. This was about a month and a half ago. Basically the pad of my right ring finger experiences a numbness from time to time. When it is not numb, it feels like a needle prick when I put pressure on it. It's specifically the area that I use to type, so typing with my ring finger hurts when that area is not experiencing the numbness. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Does it go away with time? Is it even climbing related? I never had this issue until I climbed hard for three days, instead of my normal climb hard for 1 or 2 and then break for a day or two. Thanks for any info/advice.

SamScott

May 2, 2007, 5:27 PM
Post #2 of 5 (668 views)
Shortcut

Re: [medicus] A numbness in one of my fingers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If it is not really hurting then you probably don't need medical advice.
I would say just don't climb hard for more than two days at a time and try not to use that finger as much.

hiyapokey

May 2, 2007, 5:39 PM
Post #3 of 5 (661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [medicus] A numbness in one of my fingers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had something similar happen while I was constantly leaning on the pad of my palm while setting tile. Both my ring and pinky finger went numb and I couldn't move them back or squeeze them together to make the vulcan peace symbol. My friend who is a PA gave me prednizone and said that I had swelling in the carpal tunnel which squeezed of the sensation for in my ulnar nerve. It took about a month for it to get better but I could feel it slowly getting better throughout that time. Its probably three months later now and I still don't have full strength.

bolderer

May 2, 2007, 6:07 PM
Post #4 of 5 (648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hiyapokey] A numbness in one of my fingers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i had that happen once after multiple efforts on a crux with a VERY sharp crimp. took months for it not to feel like it was asleep. i think it is simple nerve damage

medicus

May 2, 2007, 7:21 PM
Post #5 of 5 (627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SamScott] A numbness in one of my fingers... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, I didn't/don't think it is a severe problem. It's more of a nuisance, especially when I type. I basically wasn't sure if it would go away on it's own, or if I would just have to deal with it.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook