Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Partner tim

May 5, 2007, 9:59 PM
Post #51 of 354 (22335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pjdf] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

pjdf wrote:
I remember previous discussion by Russ Walling about possibly selling an "Alien tester." Anyone know if anything came of that? If so, I'd definitely be up for buying stuff to test a few Aliens.

I have such a device. It's called a vise and a funkness. The vise was $20 at Harbor Freight (cheap Chinese junk, even more shoddily thrown together than recent Aliens). The funkness... I don't even know where that came from anymore, but it's powered out a few pins in its day.

Anyways, I have taken a number of whippers onto Aliens (and Friends, and nuts, and Camalots) but I don't think I'll ever buy another one. I've tested the ones I do have, and should probably do so again.

Those pictures are pretty disturbing. If you're climbing on Aliens without testing them, you're taking a much greater risk than is justified (in my mind). Funk and bounce...

insainio

May 5, 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #52 of 354 (22292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinsandbones] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure most of you have seen these pictures, but for those of you who haven't, here are pictures of the cam that initiated the recall. As you can see, this is what it looks like when the braze fails. As for the pictures Andy posted, I'm no expert, but it looks to me like the cable failed, not the braze since a portion of the cable is still inside the head of the cam (or braze, or something). As opposed to mine in which the cable pulled completely out. I would say that this is not a brazing issue, but something else.

I wish a speedy recovery to Pinsandbones and thanks for posting the pics.

Kevin

healyje

May 5, 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #53 of 354 (22288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [medicus] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ask about the raggedy ass stem cable cut while you're at it - how the hell are they cutting their cables...

healyje

May 5, 2007, 11:46 PM
Post #54 of 354 (22274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [insainio] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

insainio wrote:
As for the pictures Andy posted, I'm no expert, but it looks to me like the cable failed, not the braze since a portion of the cable is still inside the head of the cam (or braze, or something).

Kevin, it wasn't a failure of the cable or braze per se. It wasn't a brazing failure - the brazing stayed with the head. It wasn't a cable failure - the cable didn't break or cut. What did happen was the cable wasn't inserted all the way into the head socket at the time of the braze more than a millimeter or two. The only reason it held as long as it did or stayed in the socket for the braze was the lousy cable cut at the end to be brazed. This was all compounded by a obvious failure to pull/tensile test this cam on its way out the door - and that's the scariest aspect of this whole incident.

m2j1s

May 5, 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #55 of 354 (22255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

do we know yet whether the cam was actually stamped "tensile tested"? because I have a cam from late 2006 that isnt stamped.. I'm not sure why since they claimed they would be stamping, but possibly this cam wasnt stamped either.

medicus

May 6, 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #56 of 354 (22252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [m2j1s] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as I know, we don't know yet. Though some have speculated that it wasn't stamped, since no pictures were provided for the stamp.

newtrad

May 6, 2007, 6:42 AM
Post #57 of 354 (22170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Is the piece marked as tensile tested?

Jay

Anyone had the answer to that question ???

medicus

May 6, 2007, 7:18 AM
Post #58 of 354 (22166 views)
Shortcut

Re: [newtrad] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

medicus wrote:
As far as I know, we don't know yet. Though some have speculated that it wasn't stamped, since no pictures were provided for the stamp.

healyje

May 6, 2007, 8:23 AM
Post #59 of 354 (22144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [m2j1s] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

m2j1s wrote:
do we know yet whether the cam was actually stamped "tensile tested"? because I have a cam from late 2006 that isnt stamped.. I'm not sure why since they claimed they would be stamping, but possibly this cam wasnt stamped either.

Given there is no way this cam could have passed 50% pull/tensile test it would be sad to find out it is tensile stamped. That it just didn't get tested is one thing, that it wasn't tested and got stamped would make for three significant, serial errors in the production of a single cam. At this point I wouldn't depend on or trust anyone but myself to test my aliens - in my case, two sets of hybrids.

pjdf

May 6, 2007, 3:54 PM
Post #60 of 354 (22057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tim] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tim wrote:
pjdf wrote:
I remember previous discussion by Russ Walling about possibly selling an "Alien tester." Anyone know if anything came of that? If so, I'd definitely be up for buying stuff to test a few Aliens.

I have such a device. It's called a vise and a funkness. The vise was $20 at Harbor Freight (cheap Chinese junk, even more shoddily thrown together than recent Aliens). The funkness... I don't even know where that came from anymore, but it's powered out a few pins in its day.

Anyways, I have taken a number of whippers onto Aliens (and Friends, and nuts, and Camalots) but I don't think I'll ever buy another one. I've tested the ones I do have, and should probably do so again.

Those pictures are pretty disturbing. If you're climbing on Aliens without testing them, you're taking a much greater risk than is justified (in my mind). Funk and bounce...

Tim,

I agree that climbing on Aliens that you haven't tested yourself at this point would be negligent. The nice thing about what Russ was suggesting was that it would have given a more controlled test than a funkness device and hammer.

In terms of the vise and funkness, a couple of quick questions. How do you attach the Alien to the vise? Do you just place it as if the vise was a crack of appropriate size? Or do you somehow tie it to something else that goes in the vise? Second, to what do you attach the vise? I don't want to break whatever the vise is attached to rather than popping out the Alien. Finally, I assume that you need to pull the hammer in a downward direction to get sufficient force to really test the Alien, is that right?

Thanks,
James

bobruef

May 6, 2007, 4:55 PM
Post #61 of 354 (22018 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
At this point I wouldn't depend on or trust anyone but myself to test my aliens - in my case, two sets of hybrids.

This is precisely what kept me from sending mine in for testing. If the quality of all of their work suddenly comes into question, how can you trust them to test your cams? Again, I'll reference the guy (sorry can't remember where he posted) who sent in a bunch to be tested, some came back stamped, some didn't.

(This post was edited by bobruef on May 6, 2007, 4:57 PM)

curt

May 6, 2007, 6:13 PM
Post #62 of 354 (21964 views)
Shortcut

Re: [soillclimber] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

soillclimber wrote:
Pictures are worth a thousand words. Some extra words that you should all know...CCH has had these photos for a couple weeks now. Allegedly, they say that it isn't a failed braze, that the cam must have been over an edge, etc. Judge for yourself...

As with previous Alien failures, this is the most disturbing aspect. Once again, CCH appears to be blaming their obvious fuck-up on something or someone else. It is becoming increasingly difficult (for me, at least) to have any confidence in these guys.

Curt

stymingersfink

May 6, 2007, 8:34 PM
Post #63 of 354 (21912 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
soillclimber wrote:
Pictures are worth a thousand words. Some extra words that you should all know...CCH has had these photos for a couple weeks now. Allegedly, they say that it isn't a failed braze, that the cam must have been over an edge, etc. Judge for yourself...

As with previous Alien failures, this is the most disturbing aspect. Once again, CCH appears to be blaming their obvious fuck-up on something or someone else. It is becoming increasingly difficult (for me, at least) to have any confidence in these guys.

Curt
my name's on that list too... unfortunately.

Rather than a vice+funkness, would it be possible to design a testing device using a two-ton hydraulic jack? doing so would offer some semblance of continuity in the testing pressure, especially since it will be done in my garage, rather than D. Waggoner's garage (as it obviously is not).

Rather than try and re-invent the wheel, perhaps a good start might be a press similar to that used to press bearing races...?

benj

May 6, 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #64 of 354 (21815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fulton] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fulton wrote:
The most important detail of the accident, as I see it, is:
what was the next peice of pro below the alien, and
how far down to it.
(If he climbed up to the 50 foot mark, fired in a peice, and then continued 20 feet up to the alien, well then its only his fault.
On the other hand, if there was another peice 5 feet below the alien, then he just got a really shitty belay - but its still not CCH's fault he hit the ground)

I know people are more concerned with the details of the alien - and I don't mean to side track - but as far as the totality of the accident is concerned - a single broken peice of gear does not seem to be enough for a climber to fall to the ground from 70 feet up without at least one other failure occuring in the system.

Souder's crack is usually toproped off the anchors of the classic 10a Rock Wars because the first half involves a hollow flake that probably wouldn't hold a fall. The only decent protection is at the top of this flake (where it looks like the alien was placed) right before the thin fingers crux. I'm curious about what other gear was placed and whether it held or if a bad belay contriubted to him decking. That doesn't change the fact that there is a serious manufacturing issue with aliens.

dharmasoldat

May 7, 2007, 2:16 AM
Post #65 of 354 (21766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of CCH, unless i'm blind, has a rep from there even checked out this thread? It would be nice to hear some kind of response from them, if they haven't already provided one.

And as others have said, glad I have my BD... go go gadget camalots!

medicus

May 7, 2007, 2:21 AM
Post #66 of 354 (21762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dharmasoldat] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I spoke with them on the phone, and they are aware of the thread, and are aware of the situation. They said they were still waiting to hear from the guy/results from the metal examination thing if pinsandbones or someone for him has sent the cam in for an examination.
That's all I really know though.
I am under the impression, that CCH may not be addressing the public at all, except for official notices or something that may be approved by lawyers, but that's just my guess on it.

flamer

May 7, 2007, 2:39 AM
Post #67 of 354 (21735 views)
Shortcut

Re: [medicus] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Question for some one familiar with "sounders crack"

Does the crack lean to the left?

josh

jonqdoe

May 7, 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #68 of 354 (21638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flamer] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flamer wrote:
Question for some one familiar with "sounders crack"

Does the crack lean to the left?

josh

It's the flake system just to the left of the climber in this shot.

If you look at the pictures for Rock Wars on this site (that's what the climber above is on), you can see a couple more shots of it.

Partner tim

May 7, 2007, 4:47 PM
Post #69 of 354 (21517 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pjdf] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pjdf wrote:
In terms of the vise and funkness, a couple of quick questions. How do you attach the Alien to the vise? Do you just place it as if the vise was a crack of appropriate size? Or do you somehow tie it to something else that goes in the vise? Second, to what do you attach the vise?

The vise is bolted to my workbench. I shut the vise to about the middle of the expansion range and bounce it a few times with the hammer. A long time ago, Andy Kirkapatrick wrote about using 3mm, 4mm, 5mm cord to get familiar with what various shock loads "felt" like. If you blow up a loop of 3mm cord, it is about 1.5 kN of applied force, give or take a bit. A loop of 4mm cord is about 3.5 kN of applied force, and a loop of 5mm cord is about 5.5 kN of force. This depends a great deal on which cord, what condition, and how it is loaded, but I would like for my cams to absorb at least a good 3-5 kN without any trouble, so perhaps a better strategy would be to sacrifice a roll of 5mm cord and test all of the Aliens in my possession to hold 5kN. If I am going to do that, I suppose another fix-it would be to put a groove into a piece of leftover slate tile (I have a bunch from re-tiling our kitchen floor) and bolt the vise to a beam for a few hours, using that for the jaws. It's a lot more realistic, and easier to funk. Bounce, bounce, snap. Either the loop breaks at rated strength or the cam doesn't. Some of my aliens should probably be retired anyways, they look like shit and the heads are quite sticky. But none of them failed on my unscientific funking expedition last year, and god knows I'm not going to buy new ones.

In reply to:
I don't want to break whatever the vise is attached to rather than popping out the Alien. Finally, I assume that you need to pull the hammer in a downward direction to get sufficient force to really test the Alien, is that right?

I don't find that to be the case -- I whipped the hammer sideways (outward-pull style) to about the same level of force it took to blow through 4mm cord when I was doing this last year. But, I'm not doing this as a terribly reproducible experiment. It was really just to establish a minimal level of confidence in my equipment, so that pilot error (rather than equipment failure) was my primary objective risk.

Thinking through the process, after reading your critique, I can already see a number of ways in which the process could be made reproducible and more worthwhile. I'd suggest that anyone else who hasn't tested their Aliens and wants to, might apply the above changes. But, YMMV.

As an alternative, especially if you don't already own a vise for other purposes, you could take your rack of Aliens to the local chosspile and funk through a spool of 4mm or 5mm cord. 5mm seems sensible but I seem to recall Black Diamond and Omega Pac only testing their gear to half rated strength, which seems reasonable (it would suck to cumulatively stress the piece so much while testing such that it later failed in use from the previous forces applied).

Someone with real QC experience could do this much, much better, but it's a start, and apparently CCH is going to leave their QC to the consumer. I sure hope someone capable of running a real business buys them out, and soon. They are begging for a lawsuit, it seems. Maybe that's why nobody else seems to want to touch their assets!

Partner j_ung

May 7, 2007, 8:33 PM
Post #70 of 354 (21406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yikes! Those are terrifying pics. Thank you for posting them.

As for buying a company... it's a bit easier said than done. For the record, a purchase of CCH and/or its design for Aliens has been attempted more than once before. Most recently an attempt was made around the time of last year's recall. I don't think CCH can stand up to due diligence.

wings

May 7, 2007, 8:49 PM
Post #71 of 354 (21382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tim wrote:
so perhaps a better strategy would be to sacrifice a roll of 5mm cord and test all of the Aliens in my possession to hold 5kN.

Absolutely brilliant. Thanks!

- Seyil

newtrad

May 7, 2007, 9:13 PM
Post #72 of 354 (21349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Could you post pictures of your system I have difficulties to visualize it ?

Thanks

tim wrote:
pjdf wrote:
In terms of the vise and funkness, a couple of quick questions. How do you attach the Alien to the vise? Do you just place it as if the vise was a crack of appropriate size? Or do you somehow tie it to something else that goes in the vise? Second, to what do you attach the vise?

The vise is bolted to my workbench. I shut the vise to about the middle of the expansion range and bounce it a few times with the hammer. A long time ago, Andy Kirkapatrick wrote about using 3mm, 4mm, 5mm cord to get familiar with what various shock loads "felt" like. If you blow up a loop of 3mm cord, it is about 1.5 kN of applied force, give or take a bit. A loop of 4mm cord is about 3.5 kN of applied force, and a loop of 5mm cord is about 5.5 kN of force. This depends a great deal on which cord, what condition, and how it is loaded, but I would like for my cams to absorb at least a good 3-5 kN without any trouble, so perhaps a better strategy would be to sacrifice a roll of 5mm cord and test all of the Aliens in my possession to hold 5kN. If I am going to do that, I suppose another fix-it would be to put a groove into a piece of leftover slate tile (I have a bunch from re-tiling our kitchen floor) and bolt the vise to a beam for a few hours, using that for the jaws. It's a lot more realistic, and easier to funk. Bounce, bounce, snap. Either the loop breaks at rated strength or the cam doesn't. Some of my aliens should probably be retired anyways, they look like shit and the heads are quite sticky. But none of them failed on my unscientific funking expedition last year, and god knows I'm not going to buy new ones.
!

(This post was edited by newtrad on May 7, 2007, 9:52 PM)

reno

May 7, 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #73 of 354 (21271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dharmasoldat] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dharmasoldat wrote:
Speaking of CCH, unless i'm blind, has a rep from there even checked out this thread? It would be nice to hear some kind of response from them, if they haven't already provided one.

It would be nice, but don't count on it. They are probably being advised by legal counsel to NOT reply to threads such as this.

vector

May 7, 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #74 of 354 (21243 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
dharmasoldat wrote:

It would be nice, but don't count on it. They are probably being advised by legal counsel to NOT reply to threads such as this.

Apparently Omega Pacific needs to get better legal counsel:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...mh=25;guest=11809290

Eighth post in is from OP--same day as opening post. Oh, and they have already research the issue, taken corrective action, and notified the public.

It would not be hard to find a similar example from Trango or Metolius. It might be hard to find something similar from BD--perhaps due to scarcity of their cams failing (to my knowledge).

Kudos to OP, BD, Trango, Metolius. CCH????

mojomonkey

May 7, 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #75 of 354 (21242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Souders Crack 11d groundfall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It still would be nice to hear that they are actively looking to get the piece in question or results from an independent test. Something. It can't be a huge legal problem to give a bit of status like Omega Pacific did on the link cam issue.

I have Green/Yellow/Red and only a small rack since I haven't been leading long. Dropping them is a pretty significant ding in my rack (maybe I can borrow some of Jay's wine glasses to sling instead). Bounce testing them myself would help me trust them a little, but my own, non-professional test isn't that confidence inspiring. Though, given that this was a post-recall Alien, maybe my test would be better...

I'm really hoping that this one was not marked tested and somehow slipped through, versus being marked. In the latter case CCH is lying about testing or their tests really suck.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook