RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

jrogers04

May 25, 2007, 9:31 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1826 views)
Shortcut

water knot vs. slipknot?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm new to setting up slacklines, and based on my research, the general consensus is that when tying webbing together (for a sling for instance), one should use a water knot.

When I was taught to make a sling, however, we merely used a slipknot with both tails in such a way that the friction of the webbing held itself together.

We made some pretty long slacklines this way (all of which have held) and it was great because to untie the anchored sling all one needed to do was pull the two tails away from each other (releasing the slipknot)

Can someone tell me what's wrong with this.
Assuming my explaination is understandable.

ja1484

May 25, 2007, 10:21 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1806 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jrogers04] water knot vs. slipknot? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Disclaimer: I don't slackline, as it holds no appeal to me.

That said, whenever I'm making a permanent sling, I go with a double fisherman's. Most bomber knot known to man for permanently joining two ends of pretty much anything together.

Tie it up, then bounce test the sling for a bit til the knot is sucked down to the size of a marble. Good luck getting that thing untied any time soon.

Editation: If you *would* like to untie the webbing at some later point, use a water knot - but, and this is absolutely critical if you're highlining or otherwise slacking at height where the line is part of a life support system - BACK IT UP WITH A DOUBLE OVERHAND STOPPER ON EACH TAIL. Water knots are known to loosen under cycling. A solid stopper knot prevents this. Nonetheless, inspect the knots thoroughly before each use, just to be sure.

Joining something like this with a purely friction knot is kind of sketchy to my mind, but friction knots see a lot of other uses in climbing as well (clove hitch, prussik/klemheist/et al), so I am open to persuasion by someone who knows the situation better than I.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on May 25, 2007, 10:31 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook