Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deadhorse

May 31, 2007, 6:07 AM
Post #1 of 36 (2806 views)
Shortcut

Sketchiest cams ever?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

haha check these out-

http://petrenkoworld.com/Products/

anybody heard/tried em?

bennydh

May 31, 2007, 6:21 AM
Post #2 of 36 (2790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deadhorse] Sketchiest cams ever? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy EFIN' SHIEEEEEEEEET.... I'm Gaping in disbelief WTF is this. Haha, This has to be someones multimedia internet class and a machine shop class combined into one... someone with any real knowledge please post...please let us know what this crap is.

Troll maybe Deadhorse? ...if this is a troll you made my efin night pm me or something to let me know for sure so I can laugh a while.

dlintz

May 31, 2007, 6:22 AM
Post #3 of 36 (2790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's been discussed several times in other threads. I love the paint job on those babies!!

d.

bent_gate

May 31, 2007, 6:46 AM
Post #4 of 36 (2770 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is that a Lock Nut holding the cams on the axle?

I'm just saying...Unsure

bent_gate

May 31, 2007, 6:52 AM
Post #5 of 36 (2764 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bent_gate] Sketchiest cams ever? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And here is a good place to start research and read some thoughts on it:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...string=krok;#1515428

anykineclimb

May 31, 2007, 7:13 AM
Post #6 of 36 (2751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kinda ironic that "deadhorse" brought this up...

robbovius

May 31, 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #7 of 36 (2674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Sketchiest cams ever? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a petronkoworld #1 "Link" (their term) cam. the brand name on the cam lobes is KROK (actually it looks mor like KPOK becasue it's incyrillic characters.

yeah it does looklike somebody made it in their cellar workshop, but the thing works fine, and grips the rock as well as my BD C4s do...as long as you aren't retarded about placement. last weekend I used it in a 3-point TR anchor and it was fallen on multiple times.

I'll probably buy a couple more from them.

robbovius

May 31, 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #8 of 36 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bent_gate wrote:

I'm just saying...Unsure

yup. what's wrong with that?

sungam

May 31, 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #9 of 36 (2644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] Sketchiest cams ever? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to say I'm worried about thier quality control...
Check out their blue "camalot" on the pic showing the set... the plate with the size on it, that holds the cams in place, is upsidedown.

Partner j_ung

May 31, 2007, 1:16 PM
Post #10 of 36 (2572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Sketchiest cams ever? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Would you rather be 30 feet out from one of these or an Alien date stamped two months ago?

Dillbag

May 31, 2007, 1:35 PM
Post #11 of 36 (2547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Sketchiest cams ever? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends... Was the Alien also stamped "Tensile Tested" on both the swage and the braze-head?

dr_feelgood

May 31, 2007, 1:41 PM
Post #12 of 36 (2537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dillbag] Sketchiest cams ever? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm tempted to get one just to scare the shit out of future partners.
'Hey, mind if we lead on my rack?'

robbovius

May 31, 2007, 1:53 PM
Post #13 of 36 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I have to say I'm worried about thier quality control...
Check out their blue "camalot" on the pic showing the set... the plate with the size on it, that holds the cams in place, is upsidedown.

yeah yeah wotevuh. orientation of the lobe retaining plate is unimportant. that the plate is there, is. ;-)
in the previous petrenkoworld thread linked above, rc.commer Boku tested one of the link cams to failure (with pics of the test setup and everything), and it was surprisingly strong. personally, Based on boku's test, and my experience with teh one I own, use of KROK cams doesn't exceed my personal level of risk aversion, thogh I may avoid using them with various trad partners who might not be so comfortable with KROK cam perfrormance.

gear doesn't need to be pretty, it just needs to be strong and work as advertised. BD C4s are real pretty, but you are defeintely paying for some of that prettyness. the main difference between KROK (sold thru petrenkoworld) cams and BD is that KROK has no reputation in the climbing world, and is being judged on appearance.

(This post was edited by robbovius on May 31, 2007, 1:58 PM)

el_layclimber

May 31, 2007, 2:15 PM
Post #14 of 36 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can actually appreciate a design like that. I can see how that cam is put together because of its homemade look. I know how to asses a loose nut, I do not know how to asses a shoddy braze or rivet. Besides, many gear companies start out as a stoned dirt bag in a basement anyway.

sungam

May 31, 2007, 2:20 PM
Post #15 of 36 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no worries about the unit that Boku tested, I read that thread when it started, but the quality of one unit does not, in my mind, justify complete trust in an entire range.
You hit it right on the head "orientation of the lobe retaining plate is unimportant.", if something so arbitrary, and so blatantly OBVIOUS to the eye is ignored on the advertising photo, then I worry about the checks that go into the entire range.
Once when my older brother was young, he bought a "red rider" air rifle. it fell apart, and the cause was obvious; the people in the factory were lazy, and used their drill head to tighten the nuts onto the bolts without properly threading them first, thus stripping the threads. Does this guy do the same? who knows, certinly not me, and untill I could have complete confidance in the fact such shortcuts, or lazyness, does not take place, I would not trust that piece of gear.
another note on consistancy of quality:
did you see the thread where smoe dude used his truck to test his aliens? they were fucking bomb-proof, shattered the friggin granite. how about the one where the guy used his home testing kit to snap one way below it's rating?
the one Boku tested is fine, as is the one you are using, it would seem, however, I would not feel confidant that the one I recieved was.
Maybe I'm paranoid, or maybe I'm just smart, or maybe I'm a predudist dickhead who doesn't trust sat-state production quality. Who knows.
[/rant]
-MagnuS

foeslts16

May 31, 2007, 2:31 PM
Post #16 of 36 (2441 views)
Shortcut

Sketchiest cams ever? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taken from above link:

...."Pull testing to the 15 kn rated strength of the unit showed nothing remarkable. The unit held solidly with no complaints. The only lasting result of this test was slightly increased flat-spotting of the nature observed in the 7.5kn test.

Pull testing to ultimate failure broke the unit at 16.7 kn, 111% of its rated strength. The failure mode was breakage of the stem cable where it wrapped around the cable thimble at the center of the axle. "...

robbovius

May 31, 2007, 2:33 PM
Post #17 of 36 (2432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
I have no worries about the unit that Boku tested, I read that thread when it started, but the quality of one unit does not, in my mind, justify complete trust in an entire range.
You hit it right on the head "orientation of the lobe retaining plate is unimportant.", if something so arbitrary, and so blatantly OBVIOUS to the eye is ignored on the advertising photo, then I worry about the checks that go into the entire range.
Once when my older brother was young, he bought a "red rider" air rifle. it fell apart, and the cause was obvious; the people in the factory were lazy, and used their drill head to tighten the nuts onto the bolts without properly threading them first, thus stripping the threads. Does this guy do the same? who knows, certinly not me, and untill I could have complete confidance in the fact such shortcuts, or lazyness, does not take place, I would not trust that piece of gear.
another note on consistancy of quality:
did you see the thread where smoe dude used his truck to test his aliens? they were fucking bomb-proof, shattered the friggin granite. how about the one where the guy used his home testing kit to snap one way below it's rating?
the one Boku tested is fine, as is the one you are using, it would seem, however, I would not feel confidant that the one I recieved was.
Maybe I'm paranoid, or maybe I'm just smart, or maybe I'm a predudist dickhead who doesn't trust sat-state production quality. Who knows.
[/rant]
-MagnuS
I see your point, though I think the Red Rider air rifle analogy has vy little to do with KROK cam quality, really...unless the guy who assembled your brother's rifle went to work for them in their QC dept.

also, notice that I only bought one. it was $10 US, so I figured "why not, let's see what the deal is".. turns out the deal is pretty good. The woman I corresponded with at the company was also very helpful and responsive. In all, I've had a positive experience with the company, and hte product, so the idea of purchasing a few more "Links" doens't bother me at all. a full set is only $55, and suppose I need a bail cam on a route? I'd much rather leave one of those than a C4.

"Predudist"? what, you're not a "dude" yet? ;-) I guess that means I'm 'postdudist'.

(This post was edited by robbovius on May 31, 2007, 2:38 PM)

sungam

May 31, 2007, 6:54 PM
Post #18 of 36 (2335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To be fair, though, if I had pull-testing kit, I'd buy a bunch, test them to half, and if they were A-OK (cool you can take them apart and check for straining on the failure point) then I'd climb over them happily, and at a good price, too.
Don't mind my earlier post, or any of my recent whingy dicking posts, I just broke my hand and can't climb for 3+ months. Not cool.

-MagnuS

Partner devkrev

May 31, 2007, 7:02 PM
Post #19 of 36 (2317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now is the time, a thread about these cams can be entered into the revolving canon of RC.com, along with "should I buy hexes before cams", "what shoes should I buy" and "defective aliens" threads.
Can't think of any others.

dev

sungam

May 31, 2007, 7:17 PM
Post #20 of 36 (2294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devkrev] Sketchiest cams ever? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"what weights should i do"

rymep

May 31, 2007, 7:46 PM
Post #21 of 36 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Why is trad so much better than sport?"

deadhorse

May 31, 2007, 7:53 PM
Post #22 of 36 (2238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suppose there are some things about them that are admirable-- price mainly, simplicity of design too. The fact that they are SO SO cheap makes me think that it wouldnt be a bad idea to bring them along when bailing is likely, or even when the pro is repetitively sized, as i cant afford a half dozen #2 c4's.

the downsides tho, to be a stickler,
heres an ebay sale of the set
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rock-Climbing-Links-Cam-Protection-Trad-Gear-Set-Aid_W0QQitemZ280120383964QQihZ018QQcategoryZ1299QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
they are 'rated' to 18 kN, and sorry, but i dont believe that they outhold meto's or BD's. Also, the biggest's range is 56-69mm. which is only like 18% expansion range.

still worthwhile for bailing i would think, or to take apart and either make your own hybrids (sKetch) or make a keychain haha.

bent_gate

May 31, 2007, 8:14 PM
Post #23 of 36 (2200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
bent_gate wrote:

[image]http://petrenkoworld.com/Products/content/Links%20Cams/N5/FROPE5H.JPG[/image]

I'm just saying...Unsure

What is the proper foot-lbs to keep it torqued to?

robbovius

Jun 1, 2007, 12:23 PM
Post #24 of 36 (2041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
To be fair, though, if I had pull-testing kit, I'd buy a bunch, test them to half, and if they were A-OK (cool you can take them apart and check for straining on the failure point) then I'd climb over them happily, and at a good price, too.
Don't mind my earlier post, or any of my recent whingy dicking posts, I just broke my hand and can't climb for 3+ months. Not cool.

-MagnuS

shit Mag, thatz teh suxor. whinge on, broham. my sincerest condolences.

robbovius

Jun 1, 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #25 of 36 (2037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bent_gate wrote:
robbovius wrote:
bent_gate wrote:

[image]http://petrenkoworld.com/Products/content/Links%20Cams/N5/FROPE5H.JPG[/image]

I'm just saying...Unsure

What is the proper foot-lbs to keep it torqued to?

Torque specs for these types of plastic-insert locknuts are irrelevant. Torque values are applicable to free running fasteners, unless you need to specify a clamping force between the parts being fastened. in this use, you don't want to specifiy a clamping force, because the purpose of the nut is simply to retain the lobe on it's shaft, while allowing it to pivot freely.

if you're going to take issue with the KROK plastic insert locknut lobe retention, then you'd better be taking issue with the Rock Empire flex button head screw lobe retention as well.

IF these cam lobes were fastened with free running nuts, then I'd be seriously concerned about their function and manufacture, but a plastic insert locknut is perfectly fine in this application.

Finally if you really care about torque values for 10-32 fasteners, standard torque tables for fasteners are readily available. 30 inch pounds is reasonable for a free-running steel 10/32 bolt/nut combo.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook