Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tivvis

Jun 5, 2007, 8:27 PM
Post #1 of 33 (10117 views)
Shortcut

Protein Shakes???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My question is if I should use a protein shake and if so which one? I am trying to lose weight (fat) while gaining muscle. I am 5'2 and weigh about 128. I have been eating about little under 1000- 1500 calories a day. I have managed to eat around 40-80 grams of protein a day, but have had a hard time eating much more than that. My main goal is to lose weight, but I don't want to lose any of the muscle I have worked soooo hard to get and I would really like to keep gaining muscle. Should I be using shakes to get more protein? If so what kind? This is a whole new world to me.

In advance thanks for all your help!
Tivvis

sidepull

Jun 5, 2007, 8:42 PM
Post #2 of 33 (10103 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tivvis] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The trick is figuring out which protein tastes good without wasting a lot of money.

I've used All the Whey (allthewhey.com) for about a year now, specifically using their Protein Isolate. It tastes pretty good. For example, I can mix 3/4 cups of orange juice with a scoop of protein (24g) and it tastes like a poor man's Orange Julius. That said, All the Whey has recently raised prices and I'm less than impressed with their non-vanilla flavors. One thing that I'm looking into is buying protein from GNC or another large online retailer that has frequent online coupons (free shipping, 20% off, etc.).

You definitely need to eat more protein if you're going to gain muscle and lose weight, but be realistic, it won't happen overnight. The general guideline for women is 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. So you should be getting at least 130 grams. If you're already getting 80 grams of lean protein in with your current diet, you'd simply need to add 2 protein shakes throughout the day (note: you'd probably need to adjust your diet a bit because you'd be adding calories). Good luck and keep working hard!

thomasribiere

Jun 5, 2007, 9:08 PM
Post #3 of 33 (10076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I moved the thread.

I've heard that people taking a lot of proteins had both stinky breath and sweat. Is that true?

cbusrocks

Jun 5, 2007, 9:11 PM
Post #4 of 33 (10073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Losing fat and gaining muscle generally don't go hand in hand unless you are on steroids. You're body doesn't like keeping excess muscle unless it knows it has a healthy food supply. Most body builders go through bulk/cut cycles, especially the ones who train clean. If you're serious about putting on muscle, don't cut calories or add cardio until you think you've put on enough muscle, then start cutting and running.

As for protein, try and get as much as you can from food, but whey supplements are pretty much all the same except for taste. Find one you can drink. A decent rule for gaining muscle is 1g of protein/day per lb of body weight, which is a bit on the high end, but pretty close.

If you are cutting, you don't need any more protein than you needed while you were bulking, just keep lifting hard to trick your body into thinking it need the muscle.

deadhorse

Jun 6, 2007, 4:09 AM
Post #5 of 33 (10017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cbusrocks] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you know whey protein is much more expensive than soy protein, and just barely different at typical levels of training. I use soy protein shakes, 3 tbsp blended into a cup of lowfat chocolate milk. It tastes awesome, and i climb sooo much longer before pump sets in. none of that, man i didnt even get a good workout because my arms tuckered so quick.

it never makes me sweat or have bad breath, although it does suggest you go #2. by suggest i mean your body says you should after you drink it for a week or so. if you dont it'll go away shortly. i guess it's a little hard on your stomach.

also, i have found it to be THE BEST (before preferably, but after as well) HANGOVER PREVENTION/cure. and it makes sense that it would be, the stuff is fortified to the max.

browntown

Jun 6, 2007, 5:11 AM
Post #6 of 33 (9999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deadhorse] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Optimum Nutrition 100% whey is a great tasting protein mix.

djoseph

Jun 6, 2007, 5:23 AM
Post #7 of 33 (9990 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
The general guideline for women is 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. So you should be getting at least 130 grams.

I'm no dietician. However, I've heard 1-1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight, which is signifantly lower than per pound. 130+ grams of protein per day sounds extremely high.

However, I'm open to thoughts from nutritional experts. Jay?

fulton

Jun 6, 2007, 5:33 AM
Post #8 of 33 (9984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tivvis wrote:
My question is if I should use a protein shake

real food is to a protein shake as
indoor climbing is to outdoor climbing

in other words - "use" beer instead

rc_vinay

Jun 6, 2007, 7:56 AM
Post #9 of 33 (9959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

u must check the amount of carbohydrates in such protein shakes. i heard people sell cheap supplements which have more carbohydrates and less protein......

azrockclimber

Jun 6, 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #10 of 33 (9927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

GNC whey Isolate protein...chocolate...

excellent.... but expensive.

50 grams per 12 ounce shake.... 230 cal, ultra low fat. I use it for my endurance trianinng....i.e. swimming, biking, and running 12-16 hours per week. I just can't recover properly without it.

Isolate protein is going to have a much more pure supply of protien....much less fat, much less cholesterol....

I just ate a bunch of good food when I climbed on a daily basis.... I don't think that protein shakes are necessary for climbing.... Unless you go for total pump fests.... boulderers...hard sport...etc...

After climbing I usually had a protein bar and a 32 ounce gatorade immediately...then I ate dinner or lunch or whatever....

If I were you I'd skip the protein shake and go for the above.

(This post was edited by azrockclimber on Jun 6, 2007, 12:20 PM)

climbinwv

Jun 6, 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #11 of 33 (9917 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try the Met-rx 50 Gram Slam
1. 50 grams of protein
2. i think 2-3 grams of fat
3. 250 calories
4. taste's great
5. cheap if you are a gold card member and buy first week of month.
6. no effort required...just open can and chug
7. it's a blend of fast acting and slow release protein

You could drink 2 of these a day (I pound one an hour before climbing and usually one for breakfast). I would stay away from bars as they usually have a lot of sugar.Cool

artmusicsouth

Jun 6, 2007, 12:59 PM
Post #12 of 33 (9904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cbusrocks wrote:
If you're serious about putting on muscle, don't cut calories or add cardio until you think you've put on enough muscle, then start cutting and running.

Why is this cbusrocks?

The advice I have gotten is to do cardio and add muscle. But my situation is different. I am overweight and out of shape. I weigh 215 and am on a 5'10" frame. I am stocky by nature but the gut is not part of stockyUnimpressed

Anyway, I do cardio and lift weights. I haven't been at it long enough or consistent enough to see vast improvement yet though i see some.

granite_grrl

Jun 6, 2007, 1:45 PM
Post #13 of 33 (9879 views)
Shortcut

Re: Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Protien shakes are over rated. I can't be bothered to drag out the blender, know I'll also have to clean it later. I have a thing of protien powder at home that's lasted me for years because of this. The stuff I have don't mix great with liquids, so even trying to stir it into milk offers too much clean-up.

My latest thing, low-fat cottage cheese. I actually really like this stuff. I am now using this as one of my munchie foods. Get home from work, need a little something before supper, snack on some cottage cheese. Not only does it give protien, it also stops me from eating something worse, like mircowave popcorn.

climbinwv

Jun 6, 2007, 1:45 PM
Post #14 of 33 (9879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [artmusicsouth] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What he is refering to is basically what bodybuilders do. They first pack on as much muscle as they can by lifting heavy then cut weight (fat) by reducing calories and increasing cardio. If you wanna get into climbing shape (@ 5'10" you should be between 175-190) you need to eat 1500-1800 calories a day, less that 15g of fat, less than 60 carbs, as little sugar as possible, and do at least 40 min of cardio a day. Additionally, you need to take a good multi-vitamin and amino acids. The biggest thing is developing a diet/workout that works for you and sticking to it. I used to be a trainer and i typically put on 15 lbs (some muscle/some fat) every winter then strip it in february. Best advice- get a trainer and a nutritionist.

cbusrocks

Jun 6, 2007, 2:07 PM
Post #15 of 33 (9861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinwv] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, basically your body doesn't always really like being cut up, so in order to get that way you have to put on muscle first then get rid of the fat faster than the muscle. Genes also play a big role in how much fat you naturally carry.

If you are just trying to get in shape, your main goal is probably fat loss rather than muscle gain, and as a beginner you can build some muscle while losing fat if you structure your workout properly. Even if you are just doing cardio, your body will probably build enough muscle to sustain the cardio, but it's just not going to win you Mr. Olympia, not that normal people want to look that way.

Btw, I have a lot of strength/power training experience, but not really any body building experience. If you want some real info check out bodybuilding.com, I think they have a big forum.

pmp

Jun 6, 2007, 2:13 PM
Post #16 of 33 (9854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinwv] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[(@ 5'10" you should be between 175-190)].
This is based on what?

climbinwv

Jun 6, 2007, 2:15 PM
Post #17 of 33 (9850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You are exactly right. Bobybuilding.com is awesome!!! They show you many different excercises for different muscle groups as well as how to properly execute them. Just remember-if ya wanna get cut up and improve your climbing go with lower weights and higher reps....I like 4 sets of 15-20 reps for most excercises...and for gods sake get a pull up bar or hangboard. My dad used to climb, and when i was a little kid he was always doin pullups on the I-beam in our basement. I used to wonder "why the hell is he doin that?". Now I know. Metolius rock rings are great too.

brewer19

Jun 6, 2007, 2:30 PM
Post #18 of 33 (9836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fulton] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fulton wrote:
tivvis wrote:
My question is if I should use a protein shake

real food is to a protein shake as
indoor climbing is to outdoor climbing

in other words - "use" beer instead

couldn't have put it better myself, basically it's not a substitute for real food. it's not bad to use protein shakes, but it's useless without a healthy diet. and as much as this pains me to say it, beer is not the best choice if weight loss is your goal. also you might want to look at what diet would be best for you. some people fair better with a low GI diet as opposed to a low fat diet.

climbinwv

Jun 6, 2007, 2:57 PM
Post #19 of 33 (9815 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmp] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
I wasn't giving him an exact weight...just saying that @ 5'10" his is really overweight...

alpinismo_flujo

Jun 6, 2007, 3:11 PM
Post #20 of 33 (9804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My protein intake use to be too low..maybe 25 grms per day. With the amount of exercise I get it should have been closer to 75-100.

I tried a bunch of shakes and settled on Met-Rx Vanilla. I buy it from Trader Joe's. Taste ok - nothing great but I'm not drinking it for the flavor.....

I just use 7 ounces of water with 2 scoops of mix and shake in a special cup (with lid). Put in the refer for about 15 mins and drink it.

If you are concerned about breaking down the protein - eat pinneapple. It has a high level of Bromelian (sp?).

Cool

Partner holdplease2

Jun 6, 2007, 3:39 PM
Post #21 of 33 (9790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alpinismo_flujo] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I checked my protien intake about 8 months ago, and found I was only getting about 40 grams on my vegetarian diet. Some days were more, some days were less.

I increased my dietary protien, and added about 60g of lower carb protien, spread out across the day, and after climbing/running/lifting.

Since then I lost 16 pounds and went from being able to barely do 1 pullup to doing about 50 per workout distributed across several sets.

My climbing, in certain setting (J-tree only) has improved by 3 letter grades during that time.

So I, for one, believe in more protien rather than less. Dietary is awesome, but the shakes as "insurance" to get the levels where they need to be is awesome.

I use kind of expensive stuff b/c its convenient in the GNC section of my pharmacy/grocery complex. Its the Designer Whey. Mixes well, tastes good, fairly low carbs.

-Kate.

sshagy

Jun 6, 2007, 3:52 PM
Post #22 of 33 (9786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't want to say whether you should or should not be using protein shakes but if you do:

i only have protein shakes post workout. and if i do i mix it in with a green smoothie: 2 cups water, two bunches of greens (spinach/romaine etc) 2 bananas, and 1-2 cups of frozen fruit, and then two servings of whey protein (i get the cheap stuff from trader joes) this should replenish any burnt nutrients back into your system.

i also make this shake pre-workout w/o the protein for a big energy +, it has made significant changes in my training.

climbinwv

Jun 6, 2007, 4:03 PM
Post #23 of 33 (9778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holdplease2] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have bad news for you.....designer whey contains Bovine Serum Albumin [MW 66,000-69,000 D] ~3.5% so your no longer on a vegeterian diet. Woops!!!! You are lucky though, you live in Cali where being a Veg is ok....try livin in WV where us vegeterians are extremely limited especially in resturants......sorry for the bad news....

munky

Jun 6, 2007, 4:06 PM
Post #24 of 33 (9776 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sshagy] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That sounds disgusting! Peanut butter and banana sandwiches on whole wheat and a glass of milk go a long way. Cheap: loaf of wheat bread $3, PB $3, rack of bananas $2, gallon of skim milk $3. For about $11 you can make roughly 8 sandwiches and 8 glasses of milk. Each sandwich contains 13-20 grams of protein depending on quality of bread, how much peanut butter, and a 12oz glass of milk will give you another 12 grams of protein. So there you have it 32 grams of protein in a cheap-o way. Just eat healthy and enough and you will get all the grams of protein, carbs, fiber, and calories that you need. It never hurts to take a multi vitamin.

alpinismo_flujo

Jun 6, 2007, 4:08 PM
Post #25 of 33 (9774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sshagy] Protein Shakes??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sshagy wrote:
i only have protein shakes post workout.

Me too.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook